• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Shop transfer fees - the good, the bad and the ugly!

You might feel differently about those $20 tips (and $50 total per transfer cost) if you were importing a lot more and more often. Just sayin'. [laugh]
I would not feel differently at all. When you consider the cost of the gun an extra $20 is a drop in the bucket.

I am no spendthrift, but when a gratuity is appropriate I open my wallet. The extra 20 bucks is going to have little to no impact on the FFL's bottom line, it's just a kind gesture.

I don't have a lot of money, but I have enough to get by. When it comes to tipping it seems the more money people have, the less they want to tip.

I would not feel differently at all. When you consider the cost of the gun an extra $20 is a drop in the bucket.

I am no spendthrift, but when a gratuity is appropriate I open my wallet. The extra 20 bucks is going to have little to no impact on the FFL's bottom line, it's just a kind gesture.

I don't have a lot of money, but I have enough to get by. When it comes to tipping it seems the more money people have, the less they want to tip.
No worries. I am a big tipper myself despite abject poverty. But I also do a lot of FFL transfers and they add up fast when you are an active trader/collector. :oops:

It's an expensive hobby for sure. Few would deny that. So I've had to shop around in the past for reasonable transfer fees. $50 each and I'd go broke fast. o_O

The gun shop consumer doesn't understand any of this because they never have to deal with it themselves, on the whole.
I'm only talking from experience when buying a new gun, in stock, from a dealer or doing a FFL transfer as a seller to a buyer or buyer from a seller. I think I've done about ten firearm transactions through a FFL, without a delay or any difficulty. Maybe my situation is only found in gunshop utopia! Is my situation to small of a sample to offer an opinion on? Each transaction was painless, except when I made a mistake on the form and had to start over. The error didn't prevent the shop owner from moving on to other business while he waited for me to do it over. As with anything else, there are always variables and I think there is still money to be made in the long run. Each situation is unique. A shop owner needs to be aware of which situations to avoid and which to accept to make the most money for their time. If they don't, call it part of the learning curve of doing business. In the long run, I still think there is more to gain than lose.

I've done half a dozens transfers in the 10 years or so. I try and use a local guy. I always ask ahead of time. He has been good to me and always does them and charges me $25.

So I get the bug to build an AR right before covid. I get a lower from one our fine friends at the Mill because the local guy doesn't sell lowers.

I decided that I would like to buy all my parts to do the build from this local guy in order to help support his business. I go into his store and tell him I have a lower that I want to build and we start talking about all of the options for parts. I kind of give him a list of how I want to build the rifle and what parts are interested in getting. I have a full understanding that he probably does not have the parts in stock and we'll have to order them but I'm okay with that. I am also ready to leave a sizable deposit on the order so that he knows I'm serious and he won't get stuck with a bunch of parts because I left the deposit.

I keep waiting for him to start to fill out the paperwork to buy the parts and he's looking online at different parts and making options and then all of a sudden he tells me you know your best bet is to go on Brownells and just buy all the parts there. He tells me they have building software on Brownells and I can start a build and they will give me a list of all the parts and I can check them off as I order them and everything else. I thanked him for his time and leave the store .

All the way home I'm thinking to myself what the hell is wrong with this guy. I come into His store ready to drop a load of cash to build an AR and he tells me to go to Brownells and do it there.

I just shake my head and say I don't know what's up with this guy in his business. He owns a small shop and I know he doesn't get a ton of traffic and here I am trying to support him and he just turns away the business. Go figure.

And before anybody ask me to out which shop it is I will not do that. I still do business with this guy and spend money in his shop.

Last edited:
I'm in NH. Where I go it's $25 with the 5th transfer free, they give you a little card that keeps track, so if you do a bunch it's actually $20. Brick and morter shop.

That shop likes to do transfers, it's part of their business model. Owner says given the shop is there and must be staffed anyway, it's easy $$ for little overhead to transfer stuff he doesn't need to order or never would stock, doesn't want to support etc etc.

It's a small shop that specializes in MSR's, has their own branded versions they assemble in house, stock some pistols, but mostly MSR and related parts. They may not have a single bolt action or shotgun in stock. Sure he will order stuff too if you want but sometimes looks stuff up and says "eh, you are better off ordering this yourself from Buds - will be a better deal".

I know other similar places exist, who are a shorter drive even, but given their policy and friendliness about it I go there 100%. Plus it's a cool shop, like their specialty.

I've done half a dozens transfers in the 10 years or so. I try and use a local guy. I always ask ahead of time. He has been good to me and always does them and charges me $25.

So I get the bug to build an AR right before covid. I get a lower from one our fine friends at the Mill because the local guy doesn't sell lowers.

I decided that I would like to buy all my parts to do the build from this local guy in order to help support his business. I go into his store and tell him I have a lower that I want to build and we start talking about all of the options for parts. I kind of give him a list of how I want to build the rifle and what parts are interested in getting. I have a full understanding that he probably does not have the parts in stock and we'll have to order them but I'm okay with that. I am also ready to leave a sizable deposit on the order so that he knows I'm serious and he won't get stuck with a bunch of parts because I left the deposit.

I keep waiting for him to start to fill out the paperwork to buy the parts and he's looking online at different parts and making options and then all of a sudden he tells me you know your best bet is to go on Brownells and just buy all the parts there. He tells me they have building software on Brownells and I can start a build and they will give me a list of all the parts and I can check them off as I order them and everything else. I thanked him for his time and leave the store .

All the way home I'm thinking to myself what the hell is wrong with this guy. I come into His store ready to drop a load of cash to build an AR and he tells me to go to Brownells and do it there.

I just shake my head and say I don't know what's up with this guy in his business. He owns a small shop and I know he doesn't get a ton of traffic and here I am trying to support him and he just turns away the business. Go figure.

And before anybody ask me to out which shop it is I will not do that. I still do business with this guy and spend money in his shop.
Sounds like he was trying to help you out. Doesn't want to overcharge you for things. This sounds like the kind of shop we'd all be lucky to give our money to. For once, "outing" him would be a service.

You sure he’s not one of those dealers that’s weird about AK and AR style rifles? One near me wouldn’t transfer a preban WASR-10 and won’t do near ARs.

The Mill is definitely my preference these days.

Translation: his supply/supplier chain/business model is not optimized for that sort of business and the TCV sucks for him. He realized that suddenly your build was a potential dumpster fire of pain in waiting instead of a business opportunity, and he didn't want to roach you on the price to cover the aggravation. If he's a smaller shop he probably doesn't sell that stuff that often, unless he specializes in AR builds, and if hes not selling lowers, odds of that are near zero, lol.

In hindsight he could have handled it better by not making you excited abt it.... lol

Also generally speaking no shop is going to take on that kinda saarlac pit unless you're paying their gunsmith to build the gun.

I've done similar things with customers on computer crap. "I'm not really set up to sell that stuff and it will cost you too much. Here- go to X and buy. A, b, or c" Most appreciate the honesty. Then im getting paid to install it anyways. Now once in awhile I have "concierge level" clients that want you to do everything short of using the stuff to do work for them. but that is a whole different ballgame. Those are people who don't want to be burdened with anything and will 110% never care if you charge them appropriately. A couple years ago I sold a client a PC that I made $1000 on "just by sourcing and touching it" before even installing it.

"I need a machine that meets spec X i sent you SW vendor email with spec. Don't care what it costs long as i can get it by Z "

"That setup's going to run about Q, those have been hard to come by during covid"

"Thats fine lets get it. Let me know when you have it set up and can install. I'm cutting a check for it now itll go in mail today. "

When all was said and done she was very happy and it led to more business because i solved her problems with it and that is all she was concerned about.

Damn. I always hate it when someone is honest with me and tells me I can get the same stuff delivered straight to my house for less than he would have to charge.

You want the local guy who thrives on transfers to all of a sudden have to tie up his money and resources ordering stuff to have it available when the customer shows up?

I don't think you understand the small dealer business model.

The basic fee around the mill is $25. For a MA compliant handgun with a 4473 and MIRCS paperwork it’s not a money maker. Sure, some people don’t make extra calls, emails or texts. Sure, some people don’t get delayed. Sure, some people come promptly and don’t leave the gun on the shelf for weeks. Sure, some people buy mouse guns and not 30” O/U in large cases that take up lots of space…

Two dealer transfers are $50 ($25x2, if you don’t know about 2 dealer transfer then you are missing the point of the Mill). Lowers are $50 (selling lowers is core business and your closer FFL 30 minutes away wont transfer them, will they).

If after shipping and transfer fee it would have been cheaper to just buy it from me, I’ll let you know. The receipt is almost always in there, so I know. Sometimes the delta is pretty stupid. But occasionally the deal IS too good to pass up. The bad deals are usually accompanied with “I was drinking” or similar. And of course when it’s something out of production or truly impossible to get, @andrew1220 , I admire it and say nice find. Or if it’s a Hipoint or similar that i won’t sell, @Broccoli Iglesias , then I will ridicule you then and forever.

Transfers are really not good money but more a social experience. I find them useful for educating new buyers about the art of what is possible (no, Glocks are not illegal. No, the gun laws did not change in 2016. No, your cousins hairdresser is not a gun law expert)

I have not had a gun transferred in years. I did it a few times but felt awkward about the whole procedure.

Something about asking one dealer to do all the legal paperwork so another dealer can make the profit on the sale.

What if you are getting a transfer of something kind of obscure that no local dealers carry? I haven't walked into a gun store anywhere that had an FB Radom Beryl on the shelf for example. They are available in small batches from two online retailers for about 30 minutes every 6 months.

How long does the process usually take, fifteen minutes, thirty at most? So the potential per hour revenue of doing transfers can range from a low of $40 / hr. to a high of $200/ hr., depending on how fast the transaction proceeds. Unless the shop is busy, like on the weekends, I would think that any revenue is better than no revenue at all. The potential for additional revenue in the present and future, is always there to, depending on the attitude of the owner or clerk.
The transaction usually isn't the problem.

Its the 17 phone calls/emails from some impatient prick who can't wait to pick up their gun/want pics/info/whatever BS that wastes peoples time for no reason.

There should be no more than 2 calls/emails from you, unless there is a problem with delivery or damage.

#1 Should be are you Mr. Dealer willing to transfer this? Yes...then Im buying it.
#2 Should be you telling Dealer when it's due in and sending dealer the tracking number, and let me know when a good date is to transfer.

After that......its up to the Dealer IMHO to contact you when it comes in at his/her leisure.

What if you are getting a transfer of something kind of obscure that no local dealers carry?
The last time I wanted something obscure I had a local dealer order it for me, it took a couple weeks but he came through.

If it was the one of a kind used pre-ban can't order or get anywhere else kind of gun, then I would pay his transfer fee, not bitch about the price, and actually offer him a little extra for his trouble.

I am not knocking anyone that likes to transfer guns in. But for me personally it is not something I like doing.

What if you are getting a transfer of something kind of obscure that no local dealers carry? I haven't walked into a gun store anywhere that had an FB Radom Beryl on the shelf for example. They are available in small batches from two online retailers for about 30 minutes every 6 months.
Yep. Like a 15" Dan Wesson revolver or a 14.5" desert eagle. Not exactly something you can find with ease😂

Literally almost every gun I buy is something no one around carries.

Except for the 365, I had to order everything else.

In fact, aside from the 365, I think the last gun I got from a dealer was another SIG a few months before the last NES Excruciathlon. I got it at the Wilmington gun show.

I would love to call a dealer and have them order guns from a distributor, but can't do that with the guns I like.

That being said, I have never had an FFL refuse one of my transfers and money. Besides, we do a lot of sh*t talking while I am there so it is a good time.

I paid $100 for an off roster transfer at the mill (2 dealer transfer). He originally said $25 to the other ffl, so I guess his fee is $75 and the other ffl gets a $25 cut. Luckily I had extra cash in my wallet, I was not expecting to pay $100. The whole transfer took less than 10 minutes, it was convenient and worth it (in this case). A frame transfer is usually $40, but if I did a conventional frame transfer, it would’ve cost me $130 for this particular gun because shipping was $45. But next time I’ll shop around because other ppl pay half that amount.

Last edited:

I'm thinking he did you a favor. He didn't see a need to make a profit off of you for something you could do yourself.

He did you a solid. You are better off using Brownells for this kind of stuff.

Literally almost every gun I buy is something no one around carries.

Except for the 365, I had to order everything else.

In fact, aside from the 365, I think the last gun I got from a dealer was another SIG a few months before the last NES Excruciathlon. I got it at the Wilmington gun show.

I would love to call a dealer and have them order guns from a distributor, but can't do that with the guns I like.

That being said, I have never had an FFL refuse one of my transfers and money. Besides, we do a lot of sh*t talking while I am there so it is a good time.
This...pretty much. My last buy was an expensive O/U gun, absolutely no one had locally. No one generally stocks what I buy. If I'm looking at on list stuff....I generally try and buy it used here.

My guy does not charge me extra according to what it its. Its a flat fee of 20 dollars no matter what is brought in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom