• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Show Ammunition Sales

SPO38

NES Member
Can anyone tell me if an individual would be required to have a license beyond an LTC to sell ammunition at a gun show? What allows individuals to sell ammunition online via sites such as ArmsList or NES?

To get a table you would need a MA Sales Tax Vendor Certificate and collect (and pay) sales tax to the king. Usually the promoters also ask to see a copy of your FFL as well for MA shows (perhaps MA Ammo Dealer License as well).

There is no law prohibiting private parties from selling ammo surplus to their needs. In MA as long as you aren't doing it regularly as a business, there is no legal issue in spite of what you will read here posted by many experts. I asked the one real LE expert on the matter and got a frown and told no issue!

I tried to get an Ammo Seller's License from my local PD.

They would not issue it, as I had no business.

They were confused as to why I wanted it.

That's all you needed. Get the refusal in writing and that is your license for occasional sales of surplus ammo.

To get a table you would need a MA Sales Tax Vendor Certificate and collect (and pay) sales tax to the king. Usually the promoters also ask to see a copy of your FFL as well for MA shows (perhaps MA Ammo Dealer License as well).

There is no law prohibiting private parties from selling ammo surplus to their needs. In MA as long as you aren't doing it regularly as a business, there is no legal issue in spite of what you will read here posted by many experts. I asked the one real LE expert on the matter and got a frown and told no issue!

This is interesting Len. Especially since the ATF will not give you a FFL if you sell only at gun shows. (soon to change per King Obama's royal order).
Its right there on the ATF Form 7 question 18a. I was laughing out loud when Obama talked about forcing people to get a FFL. Most of the people I know who sell at gun shows semi-regularly WANT an FFL. Now they can get one.

18a. Do You Intend To Sell Firearms Only at Gun Shows? No Yes (If yes, do not submit application)

Don

That's all you needed. Get the refusal in writing and that is your license for occasional sales of surplus ammo.

This is interesting Len. Especially since the ATF will not give you a FFL if you sell only at gun shows. (soon to change per King Obama's royal order).
Its right there on the ATF Form 7 question 18a. I was laughing out loud when Obama talked about forcing people to get a FFL. Most of the people I know who sell at gun shows semi-regularly WANT an FFL. Now they can get one.

18a. Do You Intend To Sell Firearms Only at Gun Shows? No Yes (If yes, do not submit application)

Don

SELL? Hell, I was looking into getting an FFL to BUY firearms. Decided that it wasn't worth it for me. If King Obama's going to make it necessary and easier - that may change.

PDs generally want you to have a FFL to be issued Mass dealer, ammo or gunsmith licenses. I haven't looked into the legal aspect of that. Jack.

Actually, the local LO said, "You need a business>'

Me: "What type of business?"

PD: "Any type."

Me: "A dry cleaner's?"

PD: "Sure."

Take that for what it's worth.

Oh, I don't have a dry cleaner's.

Actually, the local LO said, "You need a business>'

Me: "What type of business?"

PD: "Any type."

Me: "A dry cleaner's?"

PD: "Sure."

Take that for what it's worth.

Oh, I don't have a dry cleaner's.
Look at the state form FA-13 which is used to apply for Mass licenses. It says that you must have a FFL. Hard to argue with that if they refuse you. Same old shit, different day in this state. Jack.

Jack,

Is that the official form? I could not find it on the state website.

In any event, when I went to apply for the license, they gave me an LTC app, and said, "Just write in 'Ammo Sales' a the top."

[laugh]
It's an official form, I got the last one from the PD, but I'm sure that you can find it somewhere and download it. If not, I can get one for you via mail. PM me. Jack.

Found it, via google (did not show up under the PRM. got it from the Danvers PD website.)

It says that you need an FFL For a State Firearms Dealer's License. Nothing I saw about an Ammo License.

Not busting your cookies, just trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks

Found it, via google (did not show up under the PRM. got it from the Danvers PD website.)

It says that you need an FFL For a State Firearms Dealer's License. Nothing I saw about an Ammo License.

Not busting your cookies, just trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks
Maybe that will work. Fill it out, give them $100 and get a receipt. Maybe you hit on something here. Jack.

Maybe that will work. Fill it out, give them $100 and get a receipt. Maybe you hit on something here. Jack.

The problem is that it's "May issue". And, further in the text it specifies "Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on."

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section122B

So, it seems that the PD was correct (if not friendly) in their decision. However, a duly authorized member of a club SHALL be issued a license "for the club".

Perhaps I should take that route...

Back
Top Bottom