• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun show disarming Gunowners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm confused about the following event.....

Today I went to the Plymouth, MA Gun show. As I arrived I walk in concealed carrying as I normally do 90% of the time I'm out in public. I then pay for my ticket of $12 and begin walking into the vendor area. As I'm approaching the area I hear in a stern voice "Are you carrying?" I look over and it's a Plymouth police officer, I then reply "Yes, I am", he then replies back "See that guy over there". At this point in time I'm confused and stunned to have been stopped and questioned like I'm some criminal. I look over to see a gentlemen at a table with plastic baggies with loaded magazines of all sort with names written on them. He then tells me to unload my firearm, and hand it him and write my name down on a piece of paper. I then do as asked and clear my firearm and hand over it with the magazine.

I look at this gentlemen and I asked, "Is there a reason for all this?" he says replies "what?", I replied "Disarming everyone who comes in here", he then explains that they "Always do this". Now I know for a fact almost 2 years ago at this very same show I walked in with a concealed firearm on my hip no questions asked, I'm not sure if it was a different hosting show but every gun show I've been to thus far never has disarmed me walking in the door. Anyway to make a long story short I end up getting my loaded mag and weapon back after he had zip tied my trigger and he noticed the badge on my hip and I ID'ed myself as a LEO.

I then walked into show confused as to WHY!, WHY OF ALL PLACES IS A FREAKING GUN SHOW DISARMING GUNOWNERS!? and why did the other non LEO citizens lawfully carry guns get their weapon unloaded at the front entrance and a gentlemen zip tied their triggers and kept their magazines until leaving the premises?

Please someone tell me is this normal practice? because this is a first for me, granted this is maybe the third gun show I've ever been to but, the out of the 3 I have been to I never dealt with this.

Why in this day in age with the amount of push to try and arm citizens and put end to these so called "gun free zones" that we know are never really gun free is a place that suppose to be pro gun and has NRA members walking around signing people up to try and uphold our 2A rights disarming the lawful citizens walking in? Why is a police officer sworn to uphold the constitution asking people if they are carrying a weapon in a place they otherwise lawfully can possess them in? Please someone humor me...

Last edited:
Common for gun shows to have a zip-tie station

Not permitting loaded firearms on the floor of a gun show is normal practice. Taking names and magazines is not normal.

It's because the show is an environment where it is normal to handle guns and there have been incidents of negligant discharges at shows.

It is silly, however, to take magazines when there is plenty of ammo on vendor tables. The taking of names is probably so they can return mags to the correct person.

Unfortunately, liability issues rear their ugly head - once a few shows start doing this, other shows think (with some justification) that they may be held negligent if they do not take similar precautions. Of course, at some shows, non-LEO show staff declare themselves security and exempt from the rules. (Though I don't think the Newmart staff does this .... they are "show people", not "gun people")

Last edited:
This is standard practice at all gun shows. Even then some moron often negligently discharges a round. The police officers are there on detail, paid for by the event organizer, for an event on private property.

The police aren't going frisk you if you say that you are not carrying.

Sadly because of idiots popping off rounds at shows, crap like this happens. Antis use this against us too, "Gun shows ban carrying!111" nonsense.

keep-calm-and-just-say-no.png

I've never been to a show where that wasn't the case, even small club shows, especially in MA.
Remember the video of the LE chief shooting himself in the leg re-holstering his Glock in the gun shop?
There's a lot of gun handling at shows and sometimes people get complacent and do stupid things.

It's because the show is an environment where it is normal to handle guns and there have been incidents of negligant discharges at shows.

It is silly, however, to take magazines when there is plenty of ammo on vendor tables. The taking of names is probably so they can return mags to the correct person.

Unfortunately, liability issues rear their ugly head - once a few shows start doing this, other shows think (with some justification) that they may be held negligent if they do not take similar precautions. Of course, at some shows, non-LEO show staff declare themselves security and exempt from the rules. (Though I don't think the Newmart staff does this .... they are "show people", not "gun people")

Yes, many NDs have occurred. One almost killed a few people at (I think) the last gun show that GOAL ran . . . ask Nancy Snow about that one. One happened in Foxboro at a Newmart show, I was working the GOAL table at the time. People tend to remove the gun (loaded) to try holsters, etc. and OFTENTIMES point them in unsafe directions.

Back many years ago now Martin (Newmart) carried in a shoulder holster at the MA shows, they also allowed the vendors to carry (open or concealed). Then there were a few incidents and the rules changed.

Yes, the baggies and names are so that you get back your stuff when you leave (assuming you remember on the way out).

But if a law enforcement officer asks if you're carrying, and you clearly state "No", when in fact you are, does that open up an "unsuitable" tag (for lying to Officer Friendly)??

Just sayin'
:confused::confused::confused:

I've never been to a show that allowed loaded firearms in the show itself. (With occasional exceptions for vendors) the reason for that being that there are a lot of idiots out there carrying guns who can't seem to resist the urge to yank them out and wave them around when they're surrounded by other gun people.

Sorry to all who want to carry but i wont go to a gunshow if people are carrying.
too many idiots in one place to know which guns are chambered and which arent.
people like to pull out their carry gun as part of a conversation or to show people something, which i find damn insulting....keep your dick and gun in your pants. I dont want to see it.
i agree w their policy to check your carry gun.

Sorry to all who want to carry but i wont go to a gunshow if people are carrying.

Do you really think people aren't carrying at gun shows, even with policies like that? I bet for every person who gives up their ammo there are at least three who don't.

Do you really think people aren't carrying at gun shows, even with policies like that? I bet for every person who gives up their ammo there are at least three who don't.

Agreed.
however, i will be damned if ive narrowly escaped doom half dozen times to then get dropped by some dufus's ND because he wanted to show his gun-show-buddy his new .45. No thanks i would rather be eaten by an alligator.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but at every gun show you've ever been to there were people who were carrying. More than a few people ignore such policies.

Agreed.
however, i will be damned if ive narrowly escaped doom half dozen times to then get dropped by some dufus's ND because he wanted to show his gun-show-buddy his new .45. No thanks i would rather be eaten by an alligator.

Unless you are frisking people at the door, said dufus is carrying inside the show. Accept it or don't go to the show.

I've never been to a show where that wasn't the case, even small club shows, especially in MA.

This^

I've been going to gun shows since the mid 80's and that's always been the case.
In fact, there are usually signs posted right at the ticket window saying no loaded guns allowed inside.
The Big E show is even more paranoid, they don't allow any ammo inside the building at all, this includes the ammo and powder vendors, who sell from tents set up in the parking lot.
When entering a show, security always asks "do you have any guns on you today?"
I always answer "no, not today, but I may go home with one".

I always understood the gun checks at the shows to be for safety against a Negligent Discharge........you know......there are some real ****ing morons going in and out of those gun shows.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember the video of the LE chief shooting himself in the leg re-holstering his Glock in the gun shop?
There's a lot of gun handling at shows and sometimes people get complacent and do stupid things.

THIS^ times 1000

As others say, it is common practice at most shows. Most likely reason is liability; anything happens, someone will sue the folks running the show and the venue.

But what I find more interesting is in your second paragraph: you had a badge and got everything back. Indicates 2 sets of rules and that bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom