• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Socks for blued pistol storage.

Any opinions on these, any good any bad. I don't have a safe anymore and use hidden hiding spaces so most of the other ways of controlling rust are out. Never used any of these and wonder will they really protect handguns as they claim. They seem pretty costly for what they are. One that will hold my new MKIV is around 15-20 clams shipped. That is for brand named product which they want $7.99 to ship and that is a rip in my book as the thing weighs nothing. What say the brain trust?

Hand Gun Cases, Rifle Cases, Shotgun Cases, Long Gun Cases, and Thompson Contender Cases offer Long-Term, Rust Free Gun Storage Solution.

Amazon carries them if you want a way around the shipping haircut. I love the things. Really nice wool fleece cases with a rust preventative treatment. Does a good job preventing scratches and dings.

Amazon carries them if you want a way around the shipping haircut. I love the things. Really nice wool fleece cases with a rust preventative treatment. Does a good job preventing scratches and dings.
Thanks, seen them on Amazon but no Prime shipping and they still want $5 bucks to ship. But that's another thing. Just want to know if they do the job so I have one thumbs up from you, appreciated.

I buy regular gun socks turn them inside out and spray them with a couple of applications of silicone and let them dry.
The gun socks primary job is to prevent bumps and scratches in the safe,using the homemade silicone socks I've never had any rusting or corrosion.

You guys have guns with no dings and scratches in them? ;)

Best thing to do, whatever you store them in, is to pull them out periodically and check for any corrosion. I live near salt water so I have to be vigilant about checking everything for rust. I basically coat my stuff in a good lather of CLP before I put it away. Even doing that, I still occasionally find rust trying to take hold on stuff once in a while. Usually in the summer months.

I have a mix of socks including the ones in the OP for both rifle and pistol. I like them and use them for my more collectible stuff- 1903 National Match, Gen 1 Colt Delta Elite, the Luger in my avatar, etc. They are a little thicker and protect better against dings.

The bore stores for pistols are good for storage and transport. But not thick enough to survive a drop unscathed or rough handling.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J94U80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure which "MKIV" you are shopping for. Perfect size for the Ruger Mark IV. Too big for the Colt MK IV 1911.
I got the Mark IV target model. Again not to be used for anything but sitting in to prevent rust when stashed away.

I've been using Bore Stores for years, and they work well. For blued collectibles that I don't take out often, I also use Break Free CO (collector's oil) which is thicker than regular oil and tends not to evaporate.

Really like them. I haven't really done anything to test their rust prevention effectiveness but find them a very convenient way to protect my rifles and pistols from dings when storing in a safe and traveling back and forth to the range.

I use barricade by Birchwood Casey. It's an aerosol so you can coateverything pretty good.

I keep all my blued guns in silicone treated gun socks inside the safe.
I got a good deal on a few six-packs of the 52" Allen brand.
Many of my rifles are way shorter than that, so I cut some down to fit individual rifles and sewed the end closed.
This left me with a bunch of remnants that were about a foot long, which I use for storing handguns.
Many of my guns sit for years at a time before coming back out to play, so long term storage inside these socks works well.

Thanks, seen them on Amazon but no Prime shipping and they still want $5 bucks to ship. But that's another thing. Just want to know if they do the job so I have one thumbs up from you, appreciated.

Spoken like a man who never ships anything themselves.

Shipping is EXPENSIVE.

As are the supplies to do it right.

I actually do ship things quite often and do know what it costs. And it sure don't cost a fiver to ship a fricken sock. YMMV

Priority Mail begins at $6.70 Retail.

First Class Package at $3.50 Retail.

UPS is even more.

Yes, I ship too.

Ebay offers discounts, and I use recycled materials. My labor is also free.

But $5 S&H is pretty reasonable for any Small Business to offer.

Yes, I've seen many outfits that want to charge me $12 to ship small items. Yes, in those cases I move on. $12 for something under a Pound is too much.

But $5 ? I disagree that is a rip off.

Back
Top Bottom