• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun & Sport North - Salem, NH

I was up in Salem, NH today and drove by this shop, being open on a Sunday I had to stop in. What a mistake! The old man was the rudest a**h*** I have ever met in a retail situation, and I used to spend a lot of time trolling pawn shops when I was younger. I would avoid at all costs!

Looks like Google/Yelp have the same views on this place.

Address: 488 South Boadway, Salem, NH 03079
Phone:(603) 952-4675

Chris

Been there a couple of times and bought a surefire light from him. No bad experience. Then the owner passed away. Was closed for a while and seems to have reopened. Haven't been in since. Don't let one bad experience scare you. That said there are just so many alternatives around the area...

For a second I thought you were talking about that place up in Windham.....

Who knows who owns or runs G&S North at this point, the initial selling price was a joke, not worth half of what they were asking especially w/o real estate but I digress.

I will avoid the place now.

Seriously down hill since the owner passed. I had been in at one point when he was sick and had others in running the place for him (I believe they own it now).They tried selling me a Sig556 with folding stock knowing I was a MA resident but kept telling me it was ok because it was just a folder and not telescopic. Haven't been back since.

i have had great luck dealing with a couple guys there. think their names are greg and victor. the woman who works there has always been really nice as well. one guy (think it's joe...) makes me want to walk right back out of the store when i see him. and of course there's one old guy who used to work there but just hangs around all the time now who knows everything-just ask him...(and no, don't ask him, your blood will boil)
at least all this was true a few months ago when i was there last.

Who knows who owns or runs G&S North at this point, the initial selling price was a joke, not worth half of what they were asking especially w/o real estate but I digress.
With a gun shop, BATFE always knows who owns the shop...
[tinfoil]
Code:
"KALIL, SHIRLEY DIANE"	GUN & SPORT NORTH	488 SOUTH BROADWAY	SALEM	NH	03079 . . . 01-JAN-2015

That's the place, where the guy tells you it's not even legal to OWN a newer Glock in Ma.
I was looking for Glock 19 mags, and he asked what gen Glock I had, I told him Gen4, and he said that I was committing a felony in his shop!

I love gun shops that know everything. I had one tell me ALL firearms have a firing pin spring...

was in there over the weekend. Just passing by. Stopped in and picked up some 556. $8/20. Could only get one box at a time but the guy i spoke with was nice. Chatted about the current situation and lack of ammo. Great first impression for me. I'd go back.

I called back in September and left my name and phone number with their business broker listed on their home page and was met with a very sarcastic, patronizing and unprofessional individual. Probably the same dipshit that set the listing price. To my knowledge business brokers are not held to the same rules as real estate brokers and therefore there are no laws, only ones moral values, in play. This Bob 'The Bozo' Lucido they have representing them is not doing them any favors, hence the place is still for sale a year or more after the initial listing was made. It is further apparent that their broker is useless by the mere fact that he lost his businesses domain name, probably by forgetting to renew it.

In any case my guess is the reason the place hasn't sold is the sellers are entrusting the sale to the broker. When I called in September I made a two part verbal offer to either a) purchase the inventory at its' wholesale value which was TBD or b) purchase the business and inventory at market value with 50% owner financing. Not a bad initial offer without seeing any form of historical sales figures I thought. My offer was met with this fat fvcks attitude and sarcasm and basically telling me that he assumed I had never owned or operated any business and that he was not even going to take my offer to the sellers.

I was pretty pissed after talking to him and if I had more time in my life to waste I would have pursued contacting the sellers directly to let them know that their half-ass broker was not looking out for their best interest by deciding what offers he would or would not let them know about. The reason I brought up real estate brokers vs business brokers earlier is because if a real estate broker refused to bring the sellers an offer he/she could and probably would probably lose their broker license for performing such an act. Even if the seller says don't bring me offers below $X they broker must tell them of any and all offers by law.

Sorry if this seems like a rant but it really didn't begin as one and I don't mean to turn it into one but for the people saying good, bad or indifferent things about this place I offer this mans observations and the following opinions which I've formed from those observations.

If anyone working there, especially directly involved with ownership, seem sour it is probably because they just want out of the business. The people you deal with there who people have said are kind and helpful are either people who just work there with nothing riding on whether the business sells or not, or they are just really fantastic people who do not wear their heart on their sleeve and are really good at covering up their emotions so their displeasure in being unable to sell the business does not show to customers. In regards to the absurd asking price for the business alone w/o real estate of $349,000 that is almost positively the "appraised value" set by their business joker, er I mean broker. And lastly, if you are buying or selling a business steer clear of Bob Lucido. [grin]

Last edited:
a co-worker of mine visited the shop 2 weeks ago and was treated like $hit by these a$$hats. he'll never return either.

Just out of curiosity, would he consider returning if there were new owners? I can't see holding experiences during these times against any prospective owners, right? I don't even think the place will sell at a quarter of what they are asking especially since they don't appear to be reordering what they have sold off, for the most part anyways. On top of that they are asking almost $4000 per month for a "reasonable" monthly rent for around 1500 sq ft of space. I know there are property taxes and other things included in the rent but that is over $20 per sq ft even with NNN factored in I would think. I might even give them another shout in a few months.

Anyone interested in a partnership if the price was right with real estate? NES Group Buy?

One of the things you buy when you purchase a business is "goodwill", and IMHO based on recent threads (over the last year) G&S North has alienated their long time customers, and pissed off any potential ones.

Would you buy a restaurant with a history of health code violations and food poisoning cases?

Probably not, unless it was at a fire sale price and you were going to change the name, concept, and get it out there that there were news owners in place.

There is too much vacant real estate in Salem NH, you can get your own FFL, and develop your own supply chain if you want to start from scratch.

To buy a business with over priced inventory that you can't move, and overhead that you can't support is not a good investment which is why that business, in the midst of the largest profit making opportunity in a lifetime, has failed to sell.

Everybody and their brother has looked at that business, some people have done "due diligence" right down to the financials and inventory, and the consensus is that the current owners are smoking crack

The fact is people will shop where the deals are. Someone could buy the place and turn it around, no doubt. I know I could and would, for the right price. Real estate for me is a must and appears to be the hold up for a lot of potential buyers like myself.

I agree with you that you could get your own FFL and open up within 1/2 mile pretty much anywhere along that same road and probably with no cost of buying "goodwill," which as you pointed out theirs is pretty poor at best, at all. Plus as you also mentioned not having to buy their stale inventory so I completely understand where you're coming from. There is however something to be said for reopening in the same place where a previous like business was and retaining things like the address and phone number.

I've done it with both laundromats and restaurants so I know it can be done and done right can be very profitable. I haven't lost interest in buying but the deal would have to be right and what I offered them initially I felt was pretty damn right. Market value on the real estate and wholesale on their inventory. If they really want to sell they should contact me.

Some of the guys working there are just trying to help out Bob's wife, due to loyalty to Bob. There IS one arrogant know-it-all( the short older guy) that doesn't realize that the attitude dissuades people from coming back.

Oarie,
I stopped in and talked to Joe,(who is a hot shit by the way) The broker is out of the picture and the contract with him has expired. I would make an offer if I was interested. I got the lowdown. Too bad this forum doesn't seem to have PM or email capability.

Oarie,
I stopped in and talked to Joe,(who is a hot shit by the way) The broker is out of the picture and the contract with him has expired. I would make an offer if I was interested. I got the lowdown. Too bad this forum doesn't seem to have PM or email capability.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check in with them. It is just a bit confusing because on their website it says please do not talk to the employees about it and I'll be damned if I know who the owners are versus employees and usually when you ask an employee to see the owner they ask what it is about... good ole catch 22. They should also pull the brokers info off their site, that guy was and is a total bozo.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Hello NES,

As of July 9, 2013, Gun and Sport North is under new ownership.
We are in the process of re-organizing the sales floor and closely examining the inventory.
We currently have around 300 firearms and many accessories.

We expect to announce our grand re-opening around labor day unless we reach our goal sooner.
We are currently open M-Tu, Fri-Sat 9:30-5pm until we announce expanded hours.
We will be expanding our hours to at least 6 days in the near future.

We have read all the comments and sympathize with the frustration.
Please visit us after our grand re-opening and let us know your thoughts.

[email protected]
Home

Best Regards, Tony Forgetta, President, Gun and Sport North.

GSN_Main_Logo.gif

Is the store still retaining the MA, FFL so that us communists can buy handguns from you? I was told that was the case before the sale of the shop.

Stopped in today. Enjoyed talking with the two guys there. Good selection of new and used handguns and long guns. Was told that they will be able to support MA oppressed folks. Picked up a box of 50 PMC bronze .38 sp for $16.99 and a box o' 25 Hornady Critical Defense .38 sp for $21.99

i will go back.

i say go in there. Give them a try.

I was at this place on Saturday, Gregg is the guy to see there, he is a good customer service sales guy and he knows his stuff. I bought a lower reciever parts kit and some glock mags. I would certainly give this place another chance.

Back
Top Bottom