• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Storage Law Question

Rocky Mosasaurus

NES Member
Hello NES Community,

My girlfriend from college broke up with me recently, and now I’ve moved back in with my parents. I’ve already filled out the ‘change of address’ forms and notified the DCJIS. My problem is my parents are super liberal and don’t know I have an LTC and if they find my rifle or small arms I’m going to be hosed. Is it legal for me to store my rifle (locked through the open action) at my buddy’s place? Please let me know what you guys think and thank you for your time.

Best,

Moss

Is he licensed? If so, no problem. Just make sure they are in a safe or equivalent thereof.

Even if it's locked, he could get jammed up if the police find it in his house. I've had clients charged, but not convicted, of possessing a trigger-locked rifle without an FID card.
That’s what I assumed...that sucks big time. What if it was only the stock of the rifle stored? And the barrel was kept with me?

What kind of rifle? Can you break it down to the receiver?

get a small lock box for the pistols.

break the rifle down, lock the trigger, put it in a box and tape it shut, stuff it in your closet.

get a small safe for the gun, tell Mom and Dad you keep important papers ( transcripts, car titles, life insurance policies, will) in it.
I think I am going with this option. Thank you.

Fixxah and swatgig thank you guys for the input. I think to prevent my friend from getting in legal trouble I will break the rifle down and store it at my place. It’s a preban mini-14 with a folding stock so it shouldn’t be too hard to store.

You need a better relationship with your parents. Jack
Jack I’ve tried to subtly talk with them about it...but they’re set in their ways. Unfortunately we cannot agree on everything, I’ve followed their directions about not getting a tattoo, not going sky-diving, etc. but break with them on 2A, upkeep of firearms and knowledge of their usage. We have a lot in common but that is just an topic we do not see eye to eye on.

Show pics of how wonderful the communist regimes ventilate people on their knees. Or gas chambers. Hard to argue with facts versus fantasy. Sorry you need to go the route you are on.

Jack I’ve tried to subtly talk with them about it...but they’re set in their ways. Unfortunately we cannot agree on everything, I’ve followed their directions about not getting a tattoo, not going sky-diving, etc. but break with them on 2A, upkeep of firearms and knowledge of their usage. We have a lot in common but that is just an topic we do not see eye to eye on.

Remind them of that and ask them to join you at the range for some fun

I see. Just saying. Jack.

just curious, how old are you? just askin' is all. [wink]

Show pics of how wonderful the communist regimes ventilate people on their knees. Or gas chambers. Hard to argue with facts versus fantasy. Sorry you need to go the route you are on.
Sadly it's not hard at all. Look at all the jackasses running for president! I rest my case!

You could always get a storage unit. One of the small indoor climate controlled ones. put a cab or safe in it. One in a good area with cameras.
Not an ideal situation, but it's an option.

I decided to skip the sketchiness and went with a storage locker. Bought a gun safe from Dick’s. I highly recommend going there because they slashed all their inventory and have no great shotguns or rifles anymore all they have are airsoft and BB guns. But their safes are being given away for huge discounts I saved around $50. Electronic/key.

This would also save him from having to make a "Truck Gun in MA" thread like we saw the other day [rofl]
Since I plan on going to the range Wednesday I still have my “truck gun” on hand. But the OP of ‘Truck Gun in MA’ didn’t want a mini-14 :( . Sad!

Since I plan on going to the range Wednesday I still have my “truck gun” on hand. But the OP of Truck gun didn’t want a mini-14 :( . Sad!
Yeah, I remembered that.

I can sympathize with your situation, when I got my LTC I was renting a condo. Nothing against firearms in the lease, but I was always nervous the owner would show up and freak out/flip out. It was a small place so my safe was in the living room. Thankfully for the last three years I lived there, the owners never stopped by despite repeated statements that they might. I always offered to fix anything that was broken on my own in exchange for a credit to my rent, and they always agreed, it was mutually beneficial.

When I finally closed on my house, I paid an extra month of rent because the lease required me to allow the owners to show prospective new tenants for up to 30 day before I left, and I didn't want unknowns walking around the place without me present. Once I had the keys to the house, I made a few trips to get all of them out of the condo before informing the landlord I was leaving.

Yours is a stickier situation, glad it sounds like you've sorted it out.

I think I am going with this option. Thank you.

Fixxah and swatgig thank you guys for the input. I think to prevent my friend from getting in legal trouble I will break the rifle down and store it at my place. It’s a preban mini-14 with a folding stock so it shouldn’t be too hard to store.

You could also give the upper to your friend. No LTC required to possess. Then just keep the lower at your parents. Technically a stripped lower is not a firearm and doesn't need to be locked. But it would be best to lock it. A bike lock through the mag well is all you need.

My parents hated motorcycles. Hated with a passion. I was forbidden to ride one, let alone own one. They came up to CT for my wedding and my mother asked my best man why I was limping. He told her that I'd dumped my bike the day before, and she thought he meant that I'd fallen off of my bicycle. He corrected her, at which point she came to me and asked me how long I'd had a motorcycle - and why hadn't I told them? Told her the truth. I bought my first bike the day I turned 21 and I didn't tell them because I knew it would just upset them.

They weren't thrilled with my tattoos - and I showed my mom the video from the first time I went skydiving.

Pick your battles and remember that your parents won't be here forever.

Back
Top Bottom