gun storage

NH Phantom

NES Member
I have a gun safe in my garage but in humid weather the humidity is still high inside I have a golden rod 24" and 2 large desiccant canisters but still gets high. So was wondering if people store their guns in the factory tupperware inside the house. I'm from NH and I don't think the gun safe thing applies. Not sure on that though

Use Zerust - the vapor capsules work on turbines & gearboxes stored at a shipyard - they have special stuff for guns:

I have a gun safe in my garage but in humid weather the humidity is still high inside I have a golden rod 24" and 2 large desiccant canisters but still gets high. So was wondering if people store their guns in the factory tupperware inside the house. I'm from NH and I don't think the gun safe thing applies. Not sure on that though
I have guns in unheated/uncooled storage areas. Its been a humid summer, but its generally dry in the winter and averages that out. Before and during summer I do a fairly good wipedown with CLP or oil once a month or less and generally have not had any problems over 20 years storing this way. If you have a goldenrod and dessicant in there.....its probably fine.

Last edited:
I have guns in unheated storage areas. Its been a humid summer, but its generally dry in the winter and averages that out. Before and during summer I do a fairly good wipedown with CLP or oil once a month or less and generally have not had any problems over 20 years storing this way. If you have a goldenrod and dessicant in there.....its probably fine.
Generally the humidity is around 60-65 in the summer in my safe with the golden rod and desiccant

I have a gun safe in my garage but in humid weather the humidity is still high inside I have a golden rod 24" and 2 large desiccant canisters but still gets high. So was wondering if people store their guns in the factory Tupperware inside the house. I'm from NH and I don't think the gun safe thing applies. Not sure on that though
Gun storage in an unheated/unconditioned garage in New England must present a lot of challenges... even more so than basement storage where you at least have a fairly constant temperature and a decent chance at controlling the humility to within a reasonable band. I guess I'd do all the usual things discussed above and hope for the best... but on a 100% RH day like today (or very wet summer like this summer), I would be awfully concerned. Everything rusts in my garage. :confused:

Following. I have a safe in a humid area as well.
I've seen small battery powered dehumidifiers, I wonder how they work.
Also damp rid buckets, they work in my camper anyways, thinking of trying that.

Pro-Tip: Do not store a cheap "fireproof document safe" inside your "gun safe" (aka RSC). The fill material in "Sentry" and other document boxes is a source of moisture.
Generally the humidity is around 60-65 in the summer in my safe with the golden rod and desiccant
Ideally you want to get that down around 50% (But not below 30% if you have wood stocks/grips).

The "goldenrod" does not reduce absolute moisture in the air, just adds heat, driving down the relative humidity, promoting internal air circulation, and preventing condensation.
Following. I have a safe in a humid area as well.
I've seen small battery powered dehumidifiers, I wonder how they work.
Also damp rid buckets, they work in my camper anyways, thinking of trying that.
The battery-powered units aren't worth the money, better to go with a passive moisture removal plan such as damp rid (you can refill/recharge them for pennies).

The most cost-effective active dehumidifiers are still the big, loud compressor-driven models, the ones which are regularly recalled for catching fire. Other types of powered dehumidifiers consume more energy per pint of water removed, including powered desiccant wheel and solid-state Peltier (not to be confused with the new ionic membrane solid state dehumidifiers).

Last edited:
I always thought about getting a goldenrod but just never did. I don't have AC in the house and humidity in the summer can easily hit 75-80% in the house. I don't open the safe unless I'm planning to shoot something and have all firearms coated with RIG for long term storage. So far thngs have worked out but I still would like to pick up a goldenrod for extra piece of mind.

Gun storage in an unheated/unconditioned garage in New England must present a lot of challenges... even more so than basement storage where you at least have a fairly constant temperature and a decent chance at controlling the humility to within a reasonable band. I guess I'd do all the usual things discussed above and hope for the best... but on a 100% RH day like today (or very wet summer like this summer), I would be awfully concerned. Everything rusts in my garage. :confused:
Just pulled all mine in my uncontrolled temp storage area to wipe them down after 3 months of shit humid summer........not a spec of rust, and some of them the bluing is worn fairly well in areas. No issues.

I always thought about getting a goldenrod but just never did. I don't have AC in the house and humidity in the summer can easily hit 75-80% in the house. I don't open the safe unless I'm planning to shoot something and have all firearms coated with RIG for long term storage. So far thngs have worked out but I still would like to pick up a goldenrod for extra piece of mind.

Ordered mine on Amazon, in your lap before you know it.

Or a dehumidifier dumping into a condensate pump. I have one running 24/7
That’s what I’ve been doing the last two years in my new house.
Seems to be working well enough though. I empty it every other day in the summer and it doesn’t run in the winter where it’s normally dry weather.

That’s what I’ve been doing the last two years in my new house.
Seems to be working well enough though. I empty it every other day in the summer and it doesn’t run in the winter where it’s normally dry weather.

I run the hose from the dehumidifier into a condensate pump that runs outside so it's running pretty much 24/7. I was emptying it every 24 hours or so during the Summer and it turns itself on and off automatically during the Winter.

If I left the house for a week, with all the dehumidifiers going (Which I did two weeks ago), I can only get the humidity down to about 63. Never in my life have I lived in such a humid house before we moved into this one last year. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to spray all of my guns except my EDC with WD40 just to store them in the safes.

If I left the house for a week, with all the dehumidifiers going (Which I did two weeks ago), I can only get the humidity down to about 63. Never in my life have I lived in such a humid house before we moved into this one last year. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to spray all of my guns except my EDC with WD40 just to store them in the safes.
French drain the down spouts if it isn’t done already.
Directing water away from the foundation should improve it.

I run the hose from the dehumidifier into a condensate pump that runs outside so it's running pretty much 24/7. I was emptying it every 24 hours or so during the Summer and it turns itself on and off automatically during the Winter.
I swapped out my water heater for a hybrid when it died.
Costs about the same as running a dehumidifier 24/7/365 in the basement so hot water is essentially free.

I also have a sump pump that runs for most of the year.

Back
Top Bottom