Gunaholism?

ridleyman

NES Member
I see a gun. I like it. I buy it.

I see another gun. I like it. I buy it.

I bought a Colt .45 1911A1. Then a SA 1911A1. Then a SA .45 polymer gun. Then a vintage Colt 1911. Then..................

See the pattern? Do I have some sort of psychological syndrome? A good one, no less, but still an ailment? And if it prevents me from working, will I qualify for disability payments?

Is there anybody else out there that shares my disability? Please speak up and let's have some group therapy!

you have an obsession with 1911's, also known as the Boomer-Browning syndrome. mine is similar but substitute with 92 variants. will be presenting it a conference next year tentatively named the Riggs-McClane illness.

I see a gun. I like it. I buy it.

I see another gun. I like it. I buy it.

I bought a Colt .45 1911A1. Then a SA 1911A1. Then a SA .45 polymer gun. Then a vintage Colt 1911. Then..................

See the pattern? Do I have some sort of psychological syndrome? A good one, no less, but still an ailment? And if it prevents me from working, will I qualify for disability payments?

Is there anybody else out there that shares my disability? Please speak up and let's have some group therapy!
Good for you. I started with Colts. 1911, 1911A1, Python, Woodsman, etc. Then Walther P38 and PP. When the thrill wore off, I got into the various subguns and suppressors. My wife would say it's a "sickness". To each his own. Jack.

You are not just a shooter, you are also a collector. I am the same way, I like to collect things and not just guns. I switch around from time to time as I can’t add to all my collections at the same time or I would go broke. Lately for me it has been die cast model cars.

But thanks for reminding me, it has been awhile since the last firearms purchase. Time to switch back to adding to the gun collection.

So to answer your question I certainly share in your disability, and my guess is many other NESer’s do also.

I'm not sure if my initial onset hasn't spread to a subset for the same ailment, or it's a complete malady all by itself. When I find a new firearm I MUST have then it an obsession to collect massive amounts of ammo for the new obsession. Then in another month or so It's rinse and repeat. Purchase new firearm, go buy more new caliber ammo and dyes and shell plates to reload new caliber. I think I'm starting to see some sort of pattern developing. Let's not even get into collecting mil-surp ammo cans in different colors and sizes!

Last edited:
I can see it now GC asks the lady Hey you wanna go to Four Seasons with me? Lady gets all decked out for a night on the town , only to find herself in a well stocked firearms dealership. Four Seasons can be somewhat overwhelming to a new gun type person, she more than likely thought you were taking her to a 4 star restaurant of the same name.

I can see it now GC asks the lady Hey you wanna go to Four Seasons with me? Lady gets all decked out for a night on the town , only to find herself in a well stocked firearms dealership. Four Seasons can be somewhat overwhelming to a new gun type person, she more than likely thought you were taking her to a 4 star restaurant of the same name.
Careful. That could be fatal. LOL. Jack.

I see something I like, I buy it.
I got an email from some company selling a Canik. I have no interest. Their sale price was like $350. It came with one 18rd mag.
I thought wow a 18rd 9mm pistol, interesting I wonder if I can find it cheaper. 1 quick trip to gunbroker and I found one new in case with fobus type holster and 2 mags, cleaning rod and mag loader for $250 and I bought it...… OOPS. I didn't really mean to buy it, but it was $250!

It arrives Friday.

RC

Last edited:
I always say I'm a collector.... I think i'm really a hoarder..... When you're curio and relic FFL comes in the mail , it says right on the front of the envelope.. "Give up all hope to those that open this!"

It's not as bad as it used to be but years ago every day there was a milsurp gun for $80-$199 that someone was willing to ship to your door....talk about needing an intervention... my intervention came when I ran out of freaking money

I have this friend that told me.........

When you have more guns than years on the planet, you have to start asking yourself "WTF am I doing?"

The real pain comes from the lies I've told myself. When I bought my first handgun, it was the only one I'd ever need. I've bought rifles that were investments. Doesn't everyone need an over under? Then there are competition guns, those are an absolute necessity if you're going to score well. All of my childhood heroes carried revolvers and lever actions, well some did. My personal favorite is to describe them as "historically significant military arms", who could argue with that?

784-E59-D4-1-EAB-42-CE-816-B-7-EAA1366-E2-A3.jpg

There like potato chips. You can’t have just one.

Bob

My original NES Screen Name was " Glockaholic", that another member wanted as he claimed to be a dealer so I gave it up in favor of this one.

I know a lot of "Friends of Bill W." that meet in church basements and such.... The Friends of John Browning meet at the local range on Saturday mornings I guess.

Before they ended it I used to go to the Hiram maxim machine gun shoot in Central Maine.
This was my summer camping weekend and I loved it like crazy. It’s nice to wake up to the sound of machine gun fire and explosions in the mornings.

RC

I always say I'm a collector.... I think i'm really a hoarder..... When you're curio and relic FFL comes in the mail , it says right on the front of the envelope.. "Give up all hope to those that open this!"

It's not as bad as it used to be but years ago every day there was a milsurp gun for $80-$199 that someone was willing to ship to your door....talk about needing an intervention... my intervention came when I ran out of freaking money

I have this friend that told me.........

When you have more guns than years on the planet, you have to start asking yourself "WTF am I doing?"
You're doing it right!

Back
Top Bottom