Guns and Ammo 2018 Best States for gun owners.

The Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts (drum roll please) 49th out of 51 jurisdictions because they included D.C.. I was quite surprised to find Maine at 29th but glad to see New Hampshire at 17th. Things that were considered were Right to Carry, castle doctrine, NFA firearms, and mag capacity. I'm sure by next year we can wend our way to 51st.

New Jersey is better than Massachusetts???

I don't think so.

It's impossible for most people to get a CCW in NJ.

I found the rankings online and it didn't rank any state but listed them alphabetically. Can you post your source?

Gun Laws By State: The Complete Guide (updated 2018)

Here's Connecticut. Maine, btw, got 5 stars, as good as you can get.

Subject Handguns Long Guns Notes
Permit required Yes Yes Policy is Shall Issue due to Court rulings.
Purchase permit required Yes Yes There is a 14 day waiting period to purchase long guns.
Registration of firearm Yes Yes Sales and serial numbers are recorded. Does not apply to out of state sales.
Open carry allowed Yes Partial Requires permit for handgun. There is no law regarding long guns and open carry.
Background checks on private gun sales required Yes Yes Sale must be through licensed dealer.
Magazine size restriction Yes Yes Magazine limited to 10 rounds.
Main article: Connecticut gun laws
Connecticut laws rating - three stars??? Who would have thunk it.

It sucks here’s but I’d say we’re better than N.Y., NJ, CT, CA, DC and maybe DE. Getting the LTC can be tricky, but once you do there’s ways to get and use almost anything we want.

Disagree about CT, CT is shall-issue and no concept of restrictions as this point, AFAIK. But yes on the others. And add HI which is also de facto no-issue.

CT has no restrictions??? (I know you meant LTC restrictions, but let's look broader.). Magazine ban. AW Ban. Registration of all non-banned said items. As far as LAWS go, I'd say CT is behind MA at this point.

CT has no restrictions??? (I know you meant LTC restrictions, but let's look broader.). Magazine ban. AW Ban. Registration of all non-banned said items. As far as LAWS go, I'd say CT is behind MA at this point.

I was referring to LTC, but you're right about the CT AWB, way worse than MA. At least in MA you can still transfer ARs. Wow. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm glad I live in MA (and not CT).

Here in CT we can NOT buy anything related to the AR 15 from most vendors and the AR 15 is banned. We can still buy prebans however but it will be in nteresting how long that lasts. We also MUST have a state issued firearms id to buy any type of ammo. Not so much fun living here under the boot of ou governor.

That's true and while we can't have more than 10 round mags, (no preban mags here either) we aren't limited to any kind of list for the type of pistola we want. There are no "CT Compliant Pistol" lists. Still the politicians continue to eat around the edges. Lately they just condemned forever "bump stocks". While I don't want to see any more anti-gun legislation when it comes to bumpstocks, who cares. They're too stupid to know that you can bumpfire just about any semi with little effort. typical political reaction to a non-issue.

What are we restricting that 16 others states are "better" than us? [bs]
At least the Stand Your Ground portion, since you have to retreat "if you can safely do so". As you mentioned in another post, I'd love to see an enhanced permit (now that people got their con-carry) that skips the NCICs check, especially, as you noted, NHSP takes so long for BG checks.

On that note, bought a handgun on a Saturday of the April Concord show. At a dealer's. Before 9am (call line doesn't open until 9am). It was a good hour after the line opened that I was approved. By agent "Paul". Drove to Concord show. Later in the afternoon, multiple dealers complaining of the wait and how the system should be scrapped. One finally got a check back - and I heard him say "Thank you, Paul". Drove to Riley's. An hour later, a staffer there was complaining about the time, but just finished a check. I also heard him say "Thanks, Paul". That Paul guy must be the busiest one in the whole state, at least on GS weekends!

New Jersey is better than Massachusetts???

I don't think so.

It's impossible for most people to get a CCW in NJ.

There is no question NJ is worse when it comes to the right to bear arms, but there is also no question MA is worse with regards to the right to keep arms. MA requires an FID or LTC just to possess guns in ones own home and has strict storage requirements when doing so. NJ has neither.

I wouldn’t argue NJ is better than MA but I also wouldn’t argue MA is better either. Both states suck and that’s why they were ranked next to each other at the very very bottom.

What are we restricting that 16 others states are "better" than us? [bs]

NH lost rankings for two reasons and neither have anything to do with NH laws.

1. It’s next to MA. Seriously. Shows you how bad MA is that this was held against NH.

2. The lack of public shooting ranges/areas. This is true. Most ranges are members only and there aren’t a whole lot of areas suitable for shooting and open to the public. It’s a small state covered in hills and trees. There is no doubt large western states with vast open land are better for shooting.

CT:

You'll get a CCW but you can't own the most popular rifle in the US.
That, ironically, was first made there.

That's true and while we can't have more than 10 round mags, (no preban mags here either) we aren't limited to any kind of list for the type of pistola we want. There are no "CT Compliant Pistol" lists. Still the politicians continue to eat around the edges. Lately they just condemned forever "bump stocks". While I don't want to see any more anti-gun legislation when it comes to bumpstocks, who cares. They're too stupid to know that you can bumpfire just about any semi with little effort. typical political reaction to a non-issue.
I thought that if you had registered the "standard capacity" mags prior to the cut-off you were still allowed to have them (except limited to loading 10rds, IIRC).

While I don't want to see any more anti-gun legislation when it comes to bumpstocks, who cares. They're too stupid to know that you can bumpfire just about any semi with little effort. typical political reaction to a non-issue.

It's funny you say that because I'm a computer programmer and every time the liberals get their knickers in a knot over government regulating the internet ("net neutrality"), I want to say to them "Isn't it frustrating that a politician is making laws about something they don't know anything about? Now you know how gun owners feel all the time!"

There is no question NJ is worse when it comes to the right to bear arms, but there is also no question MA is worse with regards to the right to keep arms. MA requires an FID or LTC just to possess guns in ones own home and has strict storage requirements when doing so. NJ has neither.

In MA, the LTC is effectively shall-issue, and only 10% (or less?) are restricted. NJ is de facto no issue for LTC. Also, I'm 99% positive you need a license or FID of some sort to own guns (in your home) in NJ :(

It sucks here’s but I’d say we’re better than N.Y., NJ, CT, CA, DC and maybe DE. Getting the LTC can be tricky, but once you do there’s ways to get and use almost anything we want.

You are absolutely right.

The list is absolutely wrong. I can tell you that as bad as MA is, its better than NJ, HI, and CA. None of which allow their "citizens" to even carry a firearm. Practically speaking. NJ and CA are particularly laughable. In NJ you need to essentially apply for a permit for every firearm you purchase. Its also impossible to get a carry license in NJ.

Last edited:
And they ding NH for the following:

The only real strike against New Hampshire is that one has to run the gauntlet of Massachusetts, New York (via Vermont) or Connecticut to get anywhere.

Which is absolutely, utterly, IGNORANT and ridiculous. Nobody gets hassled driving through even NY if they are in compliance with FOPA.

Also, I'm 99% positive you need a license or FID of some sort to own guns (in your home) in NJ :(

I’m 100% positive that you are wrong. You require an FPID or permit to purchase to PURCHASE long guns or handguns respectively. Nothing is required to keep in your own home.

It’s really all besides the point as both states suck miserably.

In NJ you need to essentially apply for a permit for every firearm you own.

NJ sucks and is terrible but the amount of misinformation you guys keep posting is ridiculous. That’s not true.

You are required a permit to purchase for each handgun you wish to purchase. That’s solely for purchasing handguns. It has nothing to do with longguns and nothing to do with ownership.

You need an FPID to purchase longguns and that process is much like the process to obtain an FID or LTC in MA.

And again, it’s for PURCHASING.

Already own guns and move to NJ? Inherit guns? Nothing is required as long as the guns are NJ legal.

Already own guns and move to NJ? Inherit guns? Nothing is required as long as the guns are NJ legal.

What makes NJ REALLY suck is you can't roam around freely with some handguns locked up in your car without being covered by a bunch of poorly thought out, very limited exemptions. Basically every "lawful" gun owner is on the ragged edge of riding dirty most of the time. RI has similar bullshit under its laws, but never enforced.

-Mike

List is still kinda crap. NH cannot be "worse" than FL is. FL doesn't even f***ing allow open carry. [laugh]

Also, by virtue of what just happened in VT, it's not reasonable to have VT still "ahead" of Maine.

-Mike

Agreed. Especially with respect to VT. VT should drop to at least 35th based on the ass-hattery that took place there this year, and the extreme likelyhood that it's going to continue to get worse there for gun owners for the forseeable future..

Back
Top Bottom