• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns and planes in MA

GM

Either it is very hard to find the information, or I don’t know where to look. If a general aviation pilot wants to fly from MA to another state where he is legal to carry weapons. How can he bring his firearms with him? What are the rules of bringing guns to the general aviation terminals and general public airports in MA?

I flew light singles back when no one gave a shit. I would CCW and/or take long guns for hunting to NH and Maine, not to NY or NJ. Of course, most everything was much simpler then. I don't know what I'd do now if renting planes. To complicated. Jack.

There's CMR that applies to Massport properties only that says you probably can't carry on them. Logan airport and guns in the trunk

There's MGL that applies to "any area of an airport to which access is restricted through security measures by the airport authority or a public agency", which is somewhat ambiguous depending on the security arrangements of your GA airport, but the rest of which is clearly written with the intent of applying to air carrier operations: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12F

As a practical matter ain't nobody ever inspected nothing, and I've been in most of this state's GA airports at one time or another. First time for everything though.

The flight school I rented from had provisions in the rental agreement against transporting firearms. I believe it was for insurance purposes. I got to know the owner and his son fairly well and they were both supporters of the 2A.

But to echo the above, I’ve been flying GA for 6 years, never been inspected and have rarely interacted with anyone at a GA airport that wasn’t fueling my plane.

Last edited:
There's CMR that applies to Massport properties only that says you probably can't carry on them. Logan airport and guns in the trunk

There's MGL that applies to "any area of an airport to which access is restricted through security measures by the airport authority or a public agency", which is somewhat ambiguous depending on the security arrangements of your GA airport, but the rest of which is clearly written with the intent of applying to air carrier operations: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12F

As a practical matter ain't nobody ever inspected nothing, and I've been in most of this state's GA airports at one time or another. First time for everything though.
The CMR actually prohibits POSSESSION of firearms on any MassPort airports for any reason other than packed as luggage to be checked in.
740 CMR 30.04-.05

That is the extent of my knowledge about flying with guns, so some of the pilots can fill in the rest about GA.

You forgot the surface of the ocean within 500ft of Logan.

Either it is very hard to find the information, or I don’t know where to look. If a general aviation pilot wants to fly from MA to another state where he is legal to carry weapons. How can he bring his firearms with him? What are the rules of bringing guns to the general aviation terminals and general public airports in MA?

As a nearly 40 year gun owner and a private pilot since 2000. I can tell you that you are worrying about something that does not need to be worried about. Stay out of KLOG, and you will be fine.

You are making this much much more complex than it needs to be.

The information isn't there because IT DOESN'T EXIST. Its not your job to seek out the information. Its their job to make you aware of it.

GA airports are all about lack of hassle, convenience and freedom. You get in your airplane, you fly out. You land and take your luggage with you. Nobody checks your luggage. NOBODY CARES.

Funny story, several years ago I was flying to Martha's Vineyard to go shooting with friends.
President Obama was also there for a couple of weeks with his family.

Because of this all GA aircraft had to land and talk to the Secret Service prior to going to the Vineyard.
We landed and they asked us if we had any weapons. We said, "Yes. these pistols, this rifle and about 600 rounds of ammo". Enough for a good day of fun.

They weren't quite sure what to make of us. Then one of them said something about how with Obama there, we couldn't land at KMVY.

NO Problem - I said. We'll land at Katama. Realizing that they had been flanked, they agreed it would be fine to go to KMVY. And with that, we left for the Vineyard.

All good fun.

rv.jpg

Last edited:
As a nearly 40 year gun owner and a private pilot since 2000. I can tell you that you are worrying about something that does not need to be worried about. Stay out of KLOG, and you will be fine.

You are making this much much more complex than it needs to be.

The information isn't there because IT DOESN'T EXIST. Its not your job to seek out the information. Its their job to make you aware of it.

GA airports are all about lack of hassle, convenience and freedom. You get in your airplane, you fly out. You land and take your luggage with you. Nobody checks your luggage. NOBODY CARES.
Where is KLOG?

The CMR actually prohibits POSSESSION of firearms on any MassPort airports for any reason other than packed as luggage to be checked in.
740 CMR 30.04-.05

That is the extent of my knowledge about flying with guns, so some of the pilots can fill in the rest about GA.
Flying GA, you could load and holster after takeoff from a MassPort airport and be legal.

The flight school I rented from had provisions in the rental agreement against transporting firearms. I believe it was for insurance purposes. I got to know the owner and his son fairly well and they were both supporters of the 2A.

But to echo the above, I’ve been flying GA for 6 years, never been inspected and have rarely interacted with anyone at a GA airport that wasn’t fueling my plane.
"Because insurance" is a super common BS excuse given by flight schools for all kinds of different things.

Your fault for asking. If you hadn't asked, you wouldn't have known and it wouldn't be your problem. This is a common mistake made by new and/or young gun owners. Its not your obligation to ask about this stuff 99% of the time. Its their job to let you know proactively.

Certain pilots carry in flight. Even to other countries.

i was traveling with a non gun buddy through an airport...not logan...and he thought he was going to prison because he was traveling with me and i was with shotguns going to vegas to shoot. we're in the ticket line, he's shaking and in a cold sweat, you'd think he had 50 balloons stuffed up his ass. so my guy, gerry, broke, he couldn't handle the pressure. he beat feet from the line, jumped over the red rope, and ran to a couple of uniformed state cops standing in the terminal yelling "HE'S GOT A GUN!" and pointing at me. i had a aluminum travel case i traveled with, i shrugged and motioned down to the case on the floor. the cops just nodded their heads in acknowledgement, and with little upturned smiles walked away going about their business leaving gerry standing there by himself feeling pretty foolish in front of me and the other 200+ folks in line. he told me later he thought they'd go easy on him if he ratted me out. nice friend...it really did happen.

Your fault for asking. If you hadn't asked, you wouldn't have known and it wouldn't be your problem. This is a common mistake made by new and/or young gun owners. Its not your obligation to ask about this stuff 99% of the time. Its their job to let you know proactively.

I never asked at the time. Flight school was generally fairly lenient when it came to rentals. They allowed landing on grass, didn’t haven’t minimum runway length requirements, and didn't have minimum Hobbs charges for extended rentals.

i was traveling with a non gun buddy through an airport...not logan...and he thought he was going to prison because he was traveling with me and i was with shotguns going to vegas to shoot. we're in the ticket line, he's shaking and in a cold sweat, you'd think he had 50 balloons stuffed up his ass. so my guy, gerry, broke, he couldn't handle the pressure. he beat feet from the line, jumped over the red rope, and ran to a couple of uniformed state cops standing in the terminal yelling "HE'S GOT A GUN!" and pointing at me. i had a aluminum travel case i traveled with, i shrugged and motioned down to the case on the floor. the cops just nodded their heads in acknowledgement, and with little upturned smiles walked away going about their business leaving gerry standing there by himself feeling pretty foolish in front of me and the other 200+ folks in line. he told me later he thought they'd go easy on him if he ratted me out. nice friend...it really did happen.
[shocked]

I hope he got a good ass-kicking for it.

I've flown GA for over 20 years, 135 and 91 professionally for half that, and nobody cares what the luggage rack has. Unless you're flying a Venezuelan-registered Lear into Ft Lauderdale and your paperwork is sketchy (this was a month or two ago), nobody cares. Signature at Boston still runs baggage through a metal detector but if you're voluntarily flying out of Sig-BOS, you have far greater judgment issues rthat what you're carrying. Enjoy the freedom and liberty that GA gives us.

As far as airline flying goes, if your carrier diverts to a non-friendly State, NJ, NY, CA, usual suspects, etc., people suggest to not take possession of firearms and keep it with the carrier to send to your final destination.

I've flown GA for over 20 years, 135 and 91 professionally for half that, and nobody cares what the luggage rack has. Unless you're flying a Venezuelan-registered Lear into Ft Lauderdale and your paperwork is sketchy (this was a month or two ago), nobody cares. Signature at Boston still runs baggage through a metal detector but if you're voluntarily flying out of Sig-BOS, you have far greater judgment issues rthat what you're carrying. Enjoy the freedom and liberty that GA gives us.

As far as airline flying goes, if your carrier diverts to a non-friendly State, NJ, NY, CA, usual suspects, etc., people suggest to not take possession of firearms and keep it with the carrier to send to your final destination.
"if you're voluntarily flying out of Sig-BOS, you have far greater judgment issues rthat what you're carrying." that cracked me up, words to live by friend.

Back
Top Bottom