Gunsmith

CaptDan3

NES Member
Anyone know of a good gunsmith to fix a Ruger 10/22 rifle?
Looking for close to Boston.
Thanks

Dan Long
Boston, MA

it's a Ruger 10/22 made in 1974, all original parts no aftermarket anything. Just bought it off an old friend. The bolt is open and will not close. Took out the trigger group and bolt slides back and forth just fine. Put bolt in closed postion and then I can't get trigger group back in.

Dan Long
Boston, MA

May sound silly, but you know that there is a bolt lock built in to the trigger assembly right? It's a small flat piece of metal that toggles back and forth to lock the bolt back.

May sound silly, but you know that there is a bolt lock built in to the trigger assembly right? It's a small flat piece of metal that toggles back and forth to lock the bolt back.

To clarify, you must push up on bolt release located just in front of trigger guard to release bolt. Most people put in after market bolt release to allow automatic release.

To clarify, you must push up on bolt release located just in front of trigger guard to release bolt. Most people put in after market bolt release to allow automatic release.

This.

I don't know why Ruger continues to produce 10/22's with these release bolt buttons, but I couldn't have removed this thing fast enough with my dremel.

What a dumbass I am....Thanks for the all the help everyone.

Not being familer with the 10/22 I didn't know about the bolt release. But I do now !

Dan Long

Not being familer with the 10/22 I didn't know about the bolt release. But I do now !

Dan Long

Outstanding! Certainly not a dumbass, mighty small little piece and very easy to miss! What I loved about this thread is that I didn't know there was a way to make it a auto release, now I do! Amazon, 10.99 and will be here tomorrow. Also grabed an extended magazine release for it for 6.39.

Dan Long

Don't feel bad at all about it. I run into the same issue quite often. As a matter of fact I know a couple of gun guys who know it's there and can never make it work. They come see me and I have shown the 3 or 4 times now.
It's not like it's an obvious bolt lock.

Outstanding! Certainly not a dumbass, mighty small little piece and very easy to miss! What I loved about this thread is that I didn't know there was a way to make it a auto release, now I do! Amazon, 10.99 and will be here tomorrow. Also grabed an extended magazine release for it for 6.39.

Yeah. You could just take your stock bolt release and dremel out (or file with a rat tail ) the lip that causes the bolt to hold back. After I did this my 10/22 got even better [grin]

I don't know why Ruger continues to produce 10/22's with these release bolt buttons, but I couldn't have removed this thing fast enough with my dremel.

Same thing. Had it done about 30 mins after I got home with the rifle from the shop I bought it from. Definitely an outdated piece of "technology" that they need to change.

Back
Top Bottom