• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guy mods a ppsh stock to fit Ruger carbine

Damn waste of an historical stock.

I love the PCC. I also love historical firearms, and there are too darn few parts of them left to sacrifice them like this.
Agreed. He couldn't reproduce one? I'm looking for an old 1883 Winchester stock. Impossibly expensive and rare. Even repros are ridiculous.

Crazy how a decent chunk of lumber can turn a ugly gun into something better, the source of the wood can be argued. So many parts will just sit in a parts bin and never get to see the light of day again.

Even though I think the final product is aesthetically way better than the original (Ruger) it did make me cringe a bit to hear it was an original stock. Now I just need someone to come up with a decent looking drum mag

Last edited:
"Dremeled out some material at the back too."

This could be the life motto of every gun-butcher out there.

I love this idea. But it boggles my mind that he didn't just go ahead and fabricate the whole stock himself. It's not that hard if you've got woodworking skills, though if this guy's using a Dremel...

Shame. Never did like Kenny G.

I don't know how I feel about this, it's like looking at a hot chick with big boobs and trying to ignore the obvious bulge in the crotch area.
My first reaction when Ruger released this was that its an ugly, black, plasticy, tacticool tryhard gun. My first thought when I saw the new handguard was its an improvement and looks sorta like a ppsh. With a decent copy of the original drum mag this would be a cool little replica range toy

Not gonna lie, I like it. Kind of Fallout monstrosity vibe, but looks better than the synthetic stock on the Ruger PCC. Hopefully it wasn't from a working PPSH though, because "why" at that point.

I like it!

How much does one of those original stocks go for?

They're only like 45 bucks, but that's not the point from the standpoint of a collector.

Different points of view, obviously. Just looking at it, fabricating my own would actually strike me as a fun rainy-day project if I had a genuine one to work from.

How much does a slab of walnut cost. How much does it cost to duplicate a stock.
how much does it cost to have a stock cut out on a cnc mill?
Im all for preserving history but sometimes just giving usful life back into something is good also.
What I dont understand is why ruger just does not come out with a Ppsh replica. It really cant be all that hard for a well established company with many many years of injection casting experience and equipment ?

Last edited:
Some Men build an AK out of an old shovel..... Others take valuable historic firears pats and Dremel them to fit a $500 gun. I guess if you are happy with your result, it is all that matters. (to you)

Damn waste of an historical stock.

I love the PCC. I also love historical firearms, and there are too darn few parts of them left to sacrifice them like this.

Never understood that logic, I guess. I see it with cars, too. From my standpoint, unless the guy stole it from somewhere, it's pretty much his to do with as he pleases. Not everyone has the same idea of "value" of something. I think he end-product looks pretty good; he's probably pretty happy with it, too.

Now, I wonder if one of those Glock-compatible drums would fit in there, and make it an ersatz PPSH41?

Never understood that logic, I guess. I see it with cars, too. From my standpoint, unless the guy stole it from somewhere, it's pretty much his to do with as he pleases. Not everyone has the same idea of "value" of something. I think he end-product looks pretty good; he's probably pretty happy with it, too.
I totally understand it from a car perspective, too. And with cars, I've also wept when someone took an almost pristine barn find and turned it into a rat rod.

Cars or guns, if you have a junker, do with it whatever you will. Or even if it's not a junker, it's yours. Go ahead and take that all-matching original WWII sniper and turn it into Bubba's deer gun. Slap a plastic stock on it, and throw away all that original wood and metal bits, because who wants that old junk anyhow?

Just be prepared while people mourn the loss of any original parts, because you only get one shot at "original".

It can’t be that rare or valuable if they’re going for under 50 bucks.

Found this: “Around six million PPSh-41s were manufactured.”

And how many were demilled and sold for scrap/parts?

Hack away.

I totally understand it from a car perspective, too. And with cars, I've also wept when someone took an almost pristine barn find and turned it into a rat rod.

Cars or guns, if you have a junker, do with it whatever you will. Or even if it's not a junker, it's yours. Go ahead and take that all-matching original WWII sniper and turn it into Bubba's deer gun. Slap a plastic stock on it, and throw away all that original wood and metal bits, because who wants that old junk anyhow?

Just be prepared while people mourn the loss of any original parts, because you only get one shot at "original".

I get it. I do. It just always scratches me when someone says "Here's what I think you should do with this thing you own." I get the sentiment, but it just rubs me wrong.

Hack away.
Unfortunately most are in Russia, so they are very hard to import.

I don't know how I feel about this, it's like looking at a hot chick with big boobs and trying to ignore the obvious bulge in the crotch area.
What if you could add the drum...?
Better?

1587878801954.png

How much does a slab of walnut cost. How much does it cost to duplicate a stock.
how much does it cost to have a stock cut out on a cnc mill?
Im all for preserving history but sometimes just giving usful life back into something is good also.
What I dont understand is why ruger just does not come out with a Ppsh replica. It really cant be all that hard for a well established company with many many years of injection casting experience and equipment ?

The PPSh-41 is a stamped gun, like a MP40 or a Sten, not a casting. Having an AK producer like Zastava or Arsenal or Kalashnikov USA or PSA do the work would be easier than Ruger. Besides, Ruger's target audience is people who want something inexpensive and American.

Hack away.

The Soviets made millions of SVT-40s too, but Bubba doesn't go around molesting those. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should. An analogy to this would be taking a perfectly fine K98k stock and sticking it on a Remington 700 or a Savage 110, despite the various stock options available for those two guns. Sure, the Nazis made millions of K98ks and extra stock blanks, under slave labor conditions, but who would do that?

1587892977168.png

Unfortunately most are in Russia, so they are very hard to import.

This. The guns were all select fire, also, so we're likely never going to see real PPSh-41s here in the US except for the vet bringbacks and whatever came in before 1986.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the time that NES shot up a porche? A bunch of basket-weaving snowflake day ladies cried that we were destroying something special. As if they themselves were entitled to that car.

Wouldn't be a bad rapid prototype project.

I like the wood. Don't like that the original was harvested, but willing to get past it.
Yeah Im not crazy about that either. It'd be cool if someone with the right equipment got their hands on a few and then started banging out new ones

I understand about the original stock. That being said what’s done is done. This would look a lot better if used some colt metalforms. Obviously not an option on the ruger, but just from a appearance standpoint. That would add some Suomi style to it.

Back
Top Bottom