GySgt. Carlos Hathcock

TheWookie

Banned
Since this is a shooters forum I'm wondering how many shooters out there have had contact with Carlos Hathcock, and what your stories of him might be? He put on a lot of LEO sniper schools and was at a lot of guns shows back in the day,, for those who were down south while he was still alive. Or, those who may have served with him?

I became friends with Gunny when I was stationed down in VA Beach at the Dam Neck Rifle & Pistol Range. I worked at the Designated Marksman School and Gunny was one of our guest instructors -- he also spoke at most of the graduation ceremonies that we had. I was also lucky enough to go to Gunny's house on a few occasions to pick him up and bring him to the range for different things.

He was a pretty amazing man, a great Marine, very down to earth, and extremely smart. I learned a lot from him in particular the mental aspects of shooting; he placed a lot of emphasis on the mental mindset that you must have to do the things that he did over long periods of time,, while you are being hunted. But he also talked about how it applies to bullseye/competition shooting - getting in a bubble.

When his health allowed, and on the weekends when the NRA had their high power rifle matches at our range, he would come out and offer a few tips to the shooters. He could draw a crowd on the firing line. One time I saw him stand on the 500 yard line and hit bulls with iron sights using an M14.

I was lucky to have him sign the buttstcok of my AR-15, and I also have this picture of Gunny and I, down-below.

(It's a damaged picture of a picture - I had a house fire a few years after getting out and this is the only one I left).

CH-1.jpg

RIP Carlos

Carlos Hathcock only did 1 video interview. He was interviewed by John Plaster, autor of The Ultimate Sniper. For those of us not lucky enough to have met Carlos Hathcock, the interview gives some insight into the man. You can rent it from NetFlix. Just search NetFlix for Hathcock.
[iwojima]

Carlos Hathcock only did 1 video interview. He was interviewed by John Plaster, autor of The Ultimate Sniper. For those of us not lucky enough to have met Carlos Hathcock, the interview gives some insight into the man. You can rent it from NetFlix. Just search NetFlix for Hathcock.
[iwojima]

Good point, I have seen those interviews yoUTube,, in fact,, being a Friday night and I'm reminiscing with tequila -- I might go find them and watch them again. One interview right, but on utube they got it in like like three or four 20 minute sessions. BRB[wink]