• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

h&k vp9

I have one and its been a great pistol.

93602_2.jpg

"It is not weakness to scratch an itch... as long as it it deep, thorough and complete."
~ Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz

Was just thinking last night how much I enjoy shooting mine. It is quickly surpassed my other pistols as my favorite.

Don’t own any other pistol that fits as comfortable in my hand as my VP9.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've shot it a few separate times and absolutely love it...BUT, I hate the idea of such an awesome pistol being limited to 10rd mags vs a G17 with 17rds prebans. Though the VP feels better in my hands and has a better trigger.

overly complex design but functions well and i've been happy with mine. only gripe is the trigger groove on the trigger guard that leads to some biting on side of my trigger finger. it's a known issue. many have this. it appears HK removed the trigger groove on the VP9SK. I've come to prefer the paddle mag release. the VP9-B model with push button should sell quite well especially the # of boneheads "upgrading" from a standard VP9 to the VP9-B model. i plan to stick with my paddle release as i've come to enjoy on all HK pistols.

have to throw HK some credit for their QC. i've never as much as had to drift a sight on an HK pistol. every one I've own the POA/POI was spot on. their machining and surfaces finishes look great. i'm sure they've had their share of production issues but unlike other manufacturers i've certainly never seen them!

I do believe HK is missing out on some serious revenue by not getting a VP-45 to market. they would sell.

I do not currently own one but that may change. A while back, at a club pistol shoot, I was admiring another members VP9. He asked if I would like to try it. As I took hold of it, I was surprised at how comfortable it was in my hand. As I worked my way across a steel plate rack, I didn't miss a single target. It was the most comfortable, easiest to shoot gun I think I've ever used. I said, " I have got to get one of these". So I guess what I'm saying is, YOU should get one of those!

Already have a half tupperware 9mm, but the HK45 has been calling my name real hard lately. The HK family is very appealing.

the HK45 ruined polymer 45 acp pistols for me. the only other polymer 45acp I've found worth keeping has been the G21/G41. the DA trigger has some staging but with an easy hammer spring swap it's fixed. once HK shifted production to the US the prices dropped at least $200 to now the $700 range, although it looks like now a lot of online shops are sold out.

I have a P30L and VP9 and love them both. Wish they came out with a VP9L.

it exists in europe and elsewhere as the SF9P long slide. Barrel is 127 mm (5"). my guess is that HK doesn't want to import them they'd rather build them here but haven't gotten it going yet.

Heckler & Koch :: Product Overview | SFP9 L

I have a VP40.

The cocking aids came off, and they're three bucks a piece to replace.

I agree that the lack of standard capacity mags in MA is a problem.

That's about the only bad things I have to say about it.

Good gun, feels good in my hand, I am comfortable with it in its role as the handgun component of a layered HD scheme.

Same here, I have become an H&K fanboy. I prefer the VP9 over the P30 as I am way more accurate with the VP.
Love to see them come out with a VP45.....

My P30L is a V1 LEM trigger so for me I think I feel like it's pretty accurate. To compare the P30 with the VP9 is a bit different as the LEM trigger still has a longer reset so shooting it in IDPA the P30 is probably a little slower for follow up shots. I haven't noticed a big difference in accuracy when I switch between them. Obviously the P30L has a slightly longer sight radius so that might make up some of the difference. I also shoot the P30L a lot more for IDPA so maybe if I switched to the VP9 for a longer period I might notice more of a difference.

I have never shot the DA/SA trigger on the P30s so not sure what I would think of it then.

I did not give in yet. I am sweating, however. This disease is worse than liberalism....Nah.

Last edited:
recoil on a P30 or P30L is far softer than a VP9, in part due to a the polymer recoil buffer and the fact that it has a hammer to slow down the slide's rearward travel whereas the striker guns rely solely on the recoil spring. i once shot them side-by-side (a P30 standard not long slide vs VP9) and was really blown away by how much faster I can shoot a P30. when we were in switzerland last year all the police there seemed to have P30's in their holsters. by the end of the trip my wife was getting annoyed by me pointing out every P30: "look honey the cops here have P30's! how classy!"

to me the P30 and VP9 are words apart. they have similar grip and magazine area but that's about it. the P30 absolutely smokes the VP9 although the P30 is a more difficult pistol to shoot. the DA trigger is stagey and needs a little work (or like 5k rounds to soften up the hammer spring). anyone who has picked up my P30 is impressed although they're all over the place in DA and that's with a wolff hammer spring to remove some staging.

i still dig the VP9 but if i had to sell of some pistols it would go before the P30 or P30L.

I've come to prefer the paddle mag release. the VP9-B model with push button should sell quite well especially the # of boneheads "upgrading" from a standard VP9 to the VP9-B model. i plan to stick with my paddle release as i've come to enjoy on all HK pistols.

My thumb can't reach the paddle without losing my grip, I could have sworn when I was testing out the P30 I could.

My thumb can't reach the paddle without losing my grip, I could have sworn when I was testing out the P30 I could.

i use trigger finger or middle finger to drop mag. in a pinch can rotate grip and use thumb if need be, but I don't think it's how HK intended the paddle release to be used. that being said it's simply a mustard vs ketchup thing...nothing wrong with preferring button release it works great too!

That button mag release would be a major improvement.
The VP9 is ok but unremarkable. I have one but probably just because I haven't found an excuse to sell it yet. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Both the wife and I have a VP9, awesome gun. I think it has the best ergos on the market and arguably the best stock striker trigger. HK’s are built really well. I shoot it as well as I shoot some of my way nicer 1911’s and HK SA/DA’s. You should definitely buy one.

Its my nightstand gun, its not the best shooting HK ever but its pretty darn good.

Edit: I did not install the tip over restraints, that's my second line of defense if I sleep through the break in.

fullsizeoutput_e57.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom