H&R Garand Advice

System6ix

NES Member
Hello all. I'm looking for some advice, on which is admittedly likely a rather dumb question, so be gentle [smile]

A couple of years back I purchased a '54 H&R Garand from the personal collection of a well known and liked FFL in MA. It's in wonderful condition, all matching parts, original barrel, USGI stock with Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp and circled "P" proof mark. After living in my safe for the last few two I decided to break it out, disassemble it and lube it with plans to shoot it in the coming week. In doing so, I was once again reminded this Garand is a bit special due to the quality and extremely even finish over the internals.

I bought this H&R Garand with plans for it to be a "shooter" as I knew it was in great condition. At the time the dealer shuddered at the thought of me using it as a shooter since it was going to devalue a Garand that had above average perceived value. He told me it had been in his procession many years and was rarely shot, and it looks it. Obviously he was trying to maintain its value. He went so far as to make a friendly suggestion I shoot it very sparingly (or not at all) due to its value.

To be blunt…at 50 I am not getting any younger. I'm also not much of a collector. I bought the Garand because I am a huge fan of WWII history and want to shoot it. Realistically I am not going to shoot 100s of rounds through it each range trip, but I could easily foresee about 200-250 rounds a month as I go to the range often and would bring it occasionally.

So here's my conundrum…am I an idiot to shoot this Garand semi-regularly? Is it really that special/valuable that it might be best to either make it safe queen or sell it to someone who would appreciate the collector's aspect of it?

Thanks for reading this far and any input.

I wish I was 50, my take is why own a gun that you don't shoot? That's like having a football you don't play with. I'm not saying take it hunting is the wilds of Maine, but it was designed for a life of a soldier. I'm limited more from the $0.70 per round for my Garand ammo more than my concern for the wear. Every 5 years I bring mine to a 'smith to do a complete tear down I don't have the guts to do.

And you Garand needs a big brother, track down a 1903 too.

Just shoot it, its already been shot and its not a faberge egg. Don't drop it or abuse it and clean it after. It's probably worth more now than when you bought it and will be worth more when you want to sell it regardless of shooting it.

There are absolutely guns and situations where it makes far more sense to keep it in the safe than shoot it, despite what the mob says. [smile] Rare guns that are unfired/NIB, fragile, impossible to get parts for, ultra collectible, etc. Whether or not a gun falls into that category depends in part on the market, but also on the owner's tolerances and goals. Same as with most collectible "tools" (guns, cars, etc.). If shooting it will diminish the value by $X, is the enjoyment you'll get from shooting it worth more than $X?

I'm no Garand expert, but they made a bunch of them, and this one has already been fired some. It would seem that shooting it now and then and taking care of it can't hurt the value that much.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice and honestly…it's what I was hoping to hear. I feel like it would be more of a shame not to shoot it.

Glad you will shoot it. It's already been shot, so as long as you take care of it you are not going to diminish its value. You are right, it would be a shame not to shoot it. Maybe try one of the local CMP matches? Most if not all offer beginner clinics before the match. There are quite a few of us on the forum who shoot M1's regularly in competition or at least for fun, so you'll have a lot of resources on the forum if you need them.

Be sure that you use M1 safe ammo such as M2 ball or equivalent. Many of the typical .30-06 hunting loads such as what you would find Walmart are too hot.

#1 [pics]I would do my best to see if its truely worth more than your average service grade M1. i picked up a few H&R service grades that for all purpose appeared to be as new except the new wood.
I had no issue spinning off the barrel and installing a new 308 barrel.
i say IF the value or you can sell it for $1500 or more a cmp shooter service grade can be had for $750 and you might end up with another nice H&R.
Or if they are available tge cmp specials with new barrel and stock , completely refinished for $1000 might be good also.
For me unless it has documented history and tbe original foil ......shoot it!

Buy a CMP Special Rack Grade(650.00) and sell your "Precious" off to some collector. You will come away with a good shooter and a pile of money for ammo. Everyone wins.
I am almost embarrassed to admit I also have two other CMP Garands. Same story, got them about two years ago, stored them away and haven't really checked them out thoroughly. However I am positive they are nowhere near the treasure as the H&R.

Truer words never spoked. Pics attached and thanks for your input.

M1_1.jpg

M1_2.jpg

M1_3.jpg

M1_4.jpg

M1_5.jpg

M1_6.jpg

M1_7.jpg

M1_8.jpg

M1_9.jpg

M1_10.jpg

M1_11.jpg

M1_12.jpg

M1_13.jpg

Truer words never spoked. Pics attached and thanks for your input.

M1_1.jpg

M1_2.jpg

M1_3.jpg

M1_4.jpg

M1_5.jpg

M1_6.jpg

M1_7.jpg

M1_8.jpg

M1_9.jpg

M1_10.jpg

M1_11.jpg

M1_12.jpg

M1_13.jpg
nice , looks good and it has alot of HRA parts.
although it does not look like its as "collectable" as the FFL made it out to be.
Looks like a typical late HRA that did not go through a armory a few times.
i say "chootit" better yet give it a run at a cmp event!
i forget where I read it but JCG said a M1 expected service life was 500,000 rounds. So he designed them to be shot and rebuilt.
I might , maybe, possibly not shoot a M1 if it was like this
Un issued HRA will be about the same cost.

Last edited:
In case you are interested, Royal Tiger Imports has M-1 Carbines available for purchase. Prices range from $999.99 (standard model) to $1,699.99 (excellent to unissued condition).

The September issue (17) of Firearms News has an article on them. According to the article, the owners of Royal Tiger Imports recently found a significant cache of carbines in Ethiopia.

We had a big post on those back in the spring.

t

funny how they keep finding more right after selling out
i think RT had these for a long while. Before they moved , they came in before obarma put the squash on them. It would be nice if we could get the carbines back from Philippines.
would be nice to get what ever stock pile of ammo they have also.
Now if S. Korea has anything left they want to give us back that would be nice also.

Im glad these carbines came back to US

Don't the Philippines guns belong to us? I believe the S Korean guns belong to them so that would be an import issue but the Philippines wouldn't if they're ours. The Army just needs to bring them home and give them to CMP

Don't the Philippines guns belong to us? I believe the S Korean guns belong to them so that would be an import issue but the Philippines wouldn't if they're ours. The Army just needs to bring them home and give them to CMP
i think they still use and want the carbines.
The korean deal was a bit confusing. From what i remeber there was some confusion over did us lend or sell them? IDK

i think they still use and want the carbines.
The korean deal was a bit confusing. From what i remeber there was some confusion over did us lend or sell them? IDK

This is what I heard as well. The US Army says they were lend\lease and they have to be sent back to the US Army, and S. Korea says they own them and want to sell them to an importer. So in the end they were not allowed to sell them to a US importer.

Oh an shoot that M1. It's been shot before it's a used gun.

Back
Top Bottom