H&R Garand Advice

This is what I heard as well. The US Army says they were lend\lease and they have to be sent back to the US Army, and S. Korea says they own them and want to sell them to an importer. So in the end they were not allowed to sell them to a US importer.

Oh an shoot that M1. It's been shot before it's a used gun.
Century had the bid in and ready to import, thats when Obama stepped in and squashed that deal. IIRC it was on the order of $50-75 mil with aprox 30 mil for the 85,000 M1 rifles

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice, on which is admittedly likely a rather dumb question, so be gentle [smile]

A couple of years back I purchased a '54 H&R Garand from the personal collection of a well known and liked FFL in MA. It's in wonderful condition, all matching parts, original barrel, USGI stock with Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp and circled "P" proof mark. After living in my safe for the last few two I decided to break it out, disassemble it and lube it with plans to shoot it in the coming week. In doing so, I was once again reminded this Garand is a bit special due to the quality and extremely even finish over the internals.

I bought this H&R Garand with plans for it to be a "shooter" as I knew it was in great condition. At the time the dealer shuddered at the thought of me using it as a shooter since it was going to devalue a Garand that had above average perceived value. He told me it had been in his procession many years and was rarely shot, and it looks it. Obviously he was trying to maintain its value. He went so far as to make a friendly suggestion I shoot it very sparingly (or not at all) due to its value.

To be blunt…at 50 I am not getting any younger. I'm also not much of a collector. I bought the Garand because I am a huge fan of WWII history and want to shoot it. Realistically I am not going to shoot 100s of rounds through it each range trip, but I could easily foresee about 200-250 rounds a month as I go to the range often and would bring it occasionally.

So here's my conundrum…am I an idiot to shoot this Garand semi-regularly? Is it really that special/valuable that it might be best to either make it safe queen or sell it to someone who would appreciate the collector's aspect of it?

Thanks for reading this far and any input.
Since I cant make it to the next OCSA M1 Clinic/Match I offer the entry fee paid if you want to exercise that HRA. You will have to bring your own ammo. 35 rounds. That HRA will feel like its back in action.

Since I cant make it to the next OCSA M1 Clinic/Match I offer the entry fee paid if you want to exercise that HRA. You will have to bring your own ammo. 35 rounds. That HRA will feel like its back in action.
That is an incredibly generous offer, thank you! Unfortunately I think I need to spend quite a few more hours on the range with this ol' gal before I embarrass myself at any kind of match. Thanks again.

That is an incredibly generous offer, thank you! Unfortunately I think I need to spend quite a few more hours on the range with this ol' gal before I embarrass myself at any kind of match. Thanks again.

no you don't... come and have fun.. 4 of us shot for the first time last month.. of us 4, only I had any experience with an M1. First time shooting it prone, standing, and at 200 yds too. and my score was respectable, I thought..

no you don't... come and have fun.. 4 of us shot for the first time last month.. of us 4, only I had any experience with an M1. First time shooting it prone, standing, and at 200 yds too. and my score was respectable, I thought..
Even with little to no experience putting rounds on target and being safe is re spect earned

Thanks for the encouragement :D Definitely sounds like a fun time!

Believe me theres plenty of others to spread the embarrassment around! Lol
Sounds like a good crew! I'll see if I can make it happen in the near future and be in touch. Currently spending my weekends hiking in the Whites while we still have some good hiking weather. Cheers!

The first match at OCSA I did I had neither held nor fired an M1.
It went fine despite my social ineptitude.

Back
Top Bottom