• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H&R to bring back the M1 Garand

I didn’t even realize they were still in operation!

I grew up less than a mile from the old factory site on Park Avenue in Worcester and my grandfather worked there after getting out of the Navy post WWII.

This could be good timing on their part since it appears the CMP is running low on stock. I can’t imagine these are going to be very cost effective to produce however, but will probably be better quality than the originals!

I wonder how much ? I brought a M1 from CMP about three years ago for around $700.00 and see them on gun-broker at 1200.00 plus! Mine is mostly a 1942 with a 1966 barrel, NOT for sale.

I wonder how much ? I brought a M1 from CMP about three years ago for around $700.00 and see them on gun-broker at 1200.00 plus! Mine is mostly a 1942 with a 1966 barrel, NOT for sale.
CMP still selling them for $700-$900 for most. Heck, their "expert grade" is $1000 and available right now. No idea how H&R/PSA could match that without serious corner cutting. And for what, a soulless repro?

Not sure how they'll compete with sub-$1000 real Garands from the CMP unless they're targeting the lazy rich or people that want polymer en bloc clips...

What I'm really curious about is if H&R still has M1 tooling. You would think that stuff would've went to Taiwan or Italy or South Korea long ago.

So they want to go out of business AGAIN by remaking a rifle where the ammo is at a minimum $1.50 a round and the clips are $1.00 each ?

I can't stand that ArfBro so I didn't watch the video, just assuming the caliber is 30.06
Unless they're going to go for stuff like 6.5 CM, 308, or other stuff. Basically really skip the "history" part and focus on making it a "platform" kind of thing like Springfield does with the camo tanker M14s and stuff.

So they want to go out of business AGAIN by remaking a rifle where the ammo is at a minimum $1.50 a round and the clips are $1.00 each ?

I can't stand that ArfBro so I didn't watch the video, just assuming the caliber is 30.06

It's PSA so theres about a 95% chance its just "talking about making something". [rofl]

It's PSA so theres about a 95% chance its just "talking about making something". [rofl]

The thing about PSA in the AK world is that they've been taking over the low end market where the WASR used to be.

Arsenals go for like $1300 to $1800 now, depending on milled or stamped. Zastavas are $900 or so. WBP is $1200. FB Radom is $1500. You'll rarely see these imports in brick and mortar gun stores. Instead, you see VSKAs, PSA guns, Rileys, and now DPMSs.

So, I could see PSA trying to take over the low information nostalgia tightwad buyer market.

Unless they're going to go for stuff like 6.5 CM, 308, or other stuff. Basically really skip the "history" part and focus on making it a "platform" kind of thing like Springfield does with the camo tanker M14s and stuff.

I like the Garand, I have one myself but I am thinking of selling it because I just don't shoot the thing anymore...That being said, it would be like remaking the Model T Ford at this point.

MANY years ago when I was with Dovre Ski Binding in W Concord we made some metal stampings for H&R's .22 magazines as we had the hi-speed presses. I got to know Ted Rowe, the owner of H&R on "Industrial Rowe" in Gardner. His office was huge and filled with his personal gun collection. Racks on the walls filled with rifles and shotguns and machine guns and tables full of handguns. Mouth watering. Jack.

I like the Garand, I have one myself but I am thinking of selling it because I just don't shoot the thing anymore...That being said, it would be like remaking the Model T Ford at this point.
I have loads of guns I don't shoot anymore.....and I enjoy owning them as much as the ones I shoot all the time. The m1 is one of them.

I have loads of guns I don't shoot anymore.....and I enjoy owning them as much as the ones I shoot all the time. The m1 is one of them.

I used to have a shit ton as well.. I had an epiphany years ago so I sold off everything except a few. Trimmed down even more recently because I think something might happen and I can only carry one, so....

What I'm really curious about is if H&R still has M1 tooling. You would think that stuff would've went to Taiwan or Italy or South Korea long ago.
With the exception of Beretta in Italy, the other countries never produced them as far as I'm aware. They used the tooling from Winchester to produce the BM-59. I'm guessing the tooling from Springfield and H&R is long gone,. Probably worn out. Doubt the production methods of those days would work today.

The CMP is just about sold out of the M-1 Garand's. The Specials are being constructed using a lot of commercial parts.

This isn't the first time they have been commercially produced. Springfield Armory Inc. made them in the early 80's but using a cast receiver. , But they didn't sell well. Of course, that was in the days of the $500 CMP versions being available.

If Ford built a run of original-ish model T's - they would sell every one of them.
Depends. If they cost 1.5 to 2x the cost of existing originals using equal or worse parts/quality than the originals, and mass produced (all of which I suspect will be the case with these new rifles), then I doubt that would be the case.

Show you math :)

I am curious as to who you think would spend good money on a car with wooden wheels that goes 11 mph.
Obviously it would have to be at a reasonable price. Of course, it can't happen as they would need all of the modern safety requirements.

Back
Top Bottom