H&R to bring back the M1 Garand

CMP still selling them for $700-$900 for most. Heck, their "expert grade" is $1000 and available right now. No idea how H&R/PSA could match that without serious corner cutting. And for what, a soulless repro?
I think many of you don't realize the state of the CMP supply of M1's. CMP is not selling ANYTHING right now except $1,000 M1's built from refinished receivers and new production barrels and stocks with all stock metal parts also being modern production parts. The Talledaga store has had an inventory of less than 20 rifles per day for months and the CMP NOrth store at Camo Perry just announced it is reopening with a 1 gun limit and will have less than 100 rifles when they open. THey also admitted that most of the guns in stock would be the "Expert" grade.

CMP mail order has not accepted order for "$700-$900" M1's since Last September. (Service grades went OOS in May 2021, and Field Grades in September).

A Garand in 308 has alway interested me. If they make one in 308 I’d seriously consider it. It would go nice with my CMP 1943 SA Garand.
Order one from CMP. They are selling "Expert grade" .308 garands built with new Criterion barrels for $1000 I got one in December and it is a real sweet shooter.

I think many of you don't realize the state of the CMP supply of M1's. CMP is not selling ANYTHING right now except $1,000 M1's built from refinished receivers and new production barrels and stocks with all stock metal parts also being modern production parts. The Talledaga store has had an inventory of less than 20 rifles per day for months and the CMP NOrth store at Camo Perry just announced it is reopening with a 1 gun limit and will have less than 100 rifles when they open. THey also admitted that most of the guns in stock would be the "Expert" grade.

CMP mail order has not accepted order for "$700-$900" M1's since Last September. (Service grades went OOS in May 2021, and Field Grades in September).

Order one from CMP. They are selling "Expert grade" .308 garands built with new Criterion barrels for $1000 I got one in December and it is a real sweet shooter.

So often I am kicking myself for being a day late and a dollar short getting what I want / need regarding firearms, but hot damn I came in under the wire for both the IHC SG's and the last FG's. IHC order received 4/9- the day CMP announced they were sold out. I don't know what day they cut off sales for the FG's, but my FG order was received 9/3. They sent me a great IHC about 7 months after ordering, no movement on the FG order.

The IHC ended up being a great shooter with its low wear LMR barrel, but otherwise I'd probably get an Expert Grade as a second match gun. For anyone who wants a shooter, I can't imagine a better deal than the Expert Grades. A little attention to the usual CMP-legal match tweaks, and you'll have a gun capable of winning any local match and finishing in the top 10 at Camp Perry. For now the 'Experts' are going to be a much better deal than whatever H&R / PSA cooks up, but eventually these too will run out.

So often I am kicking myself for being a day late and a dollar short getting what I want / need regarding firearms, but hot damn I came in under the wire for both the IHC SG's and the last FG's. IHC order received 4/9- the day CMP announced they were sold out. I don't know what day they cut off sales for the FG's, but my FG order was received 9/3. They sent me a great IHC about 7 months after ordering, no movement on the FG order.

The IHC ended up being a great shooter with its low wear LMR barrel, but otherwise I'd probably get an Expert Grade as a second match gun. For anyone who wants a shooter, I can't imagine a better deal than the Expert Grades. A little attention to the usual CMP-legal match tweaks, and you'll have a gun capable of winning any local match and finishing in the top 10 at Camp Perry. For now the 'Experts' are going to be a much better deal than whatever H&R / PSA cooks up, but eventually these too will run out.
My only concern of the dream of new production M1s is all the small parts.
Did PSA inherit a shit ton of forgotten inventory. I just dont see it happening.
SAI could not pull it off and they had access to surplus parts.
I can only see it now
“My New HRA op rod bent”
“ clip latches suck” on and on

My only concern of the dream of new production M1s is all the small parts.
Did PSA inherit a shit ton of forgotten inventory. I just dont see it happening.
SAI could not pull it off and they had access to surplus parts.
I can only see it now
“My New HRA op rod bent”
“ clip latches suck” on and on
I wouldn't consider the op rod a small part. Seems like CMP is already sourcing quite a few repro parts for the experts?

I wouldn't consider the op rod a small part. Seems like CMP is already sourcing quite a few repro parts for the experts?
Years ago I swear Orest Micheals said that the op rods and bolts would be the end of cmp M1s.
Im not to up on the reproduction parts other than springs and a repro sight set I bought for the 10/22

Years ago I swear Orest Micheals said that the op rods and bolts would be the end of cmp M1s.
Im not to up on the reproduction parts other than springs and a repro sight set I bought for the 10/22
High quality M14 op rods and bolts are still made, so why not M1. I just wish they'd make some fresh clip latches. Those damn things are getting pricey and hard to find at non-stupid pricing.

Have to pay for all that equipment.
I would like to know what ruger put up for all there plastic and injected casting equipment.
I guess you can look at it in many ways.
If my dad was still alive he would look at what people make now and the cost of ammo guns say in the 80s he would sat its cheap today.
I sold it all off but I know I had ammo from the 80s my dad bought at Kmart in rockland Mass and lots of common stuff was $12+/20 rds

Although with todays hi tech mills with multi axis multi head “cnc” machines you would think it would be pretty “easy” now.
Was reading up on M1 manufacture and it was something like 80 separate machine steps and had to be removed and set up on other tooling 40 times or so. Just looking at the man power used back then to get a M1 out the door was crazy.
Oh and iirc the M1 came off the mill to the us government at $84 each. ? Was that a lot back then?
I seem to remember reading once that the $600-level CMP rifle (Field Grade?) was essentially the same cost, adjusted for inflation, as the USGI issued rifle in 1941. So running that experiment backwords, what does that get us for a base cost in 1941?

I seem to remember reading once that the $600-level CMP rifle (Field Grade?) was essentially the same cost, adjusted for inflation, as the USGI issued rifle in 1941. So running that experiment backwords, what does that get us for a base cost in 1941?

8C49840D-D521-4A2D-B3EF-38379D9B36B3.jpeg

I want a full size M1 Garand in .22 LR...
Pfft. Pfft. Pfft. Pfft. Pfft. Pfft. Pfft. Pfft. CLANG!

If Ford built a run of original-ish model T's - they would sell every one of them.
Show you math :)

I am curious as to who you think would spend good money on a car with wooden wheels that goes 11 mph.
Twice as many wheels as a Ruckus and half the speed?

It's still in bankruptcy court, but the PSA parent company has dibs on H&R. Maybe NEF also; I'm not sure about that.
PSA will drop the garand dream and put out a PSA turd tactical single shot shotgun.
SAI would have jumped back in the M1 game if there was a pricepoint/market for it. They already turn out the M1a which is close in design , enough so a entire line of tooling would not be needed

SAI would have jumped back in the M1 game if there was a pricepoint/market for it.
But didn't they try in the early 80s? 7 million SN range.

Despite the fact that CMP is running thin on Garands, I don't see sources drying up in our lifetimes for USGI parts. They made 6 million of them. Sure, many have been lost along the way. Old timers will pass on and their collections will get passed down / re-distrubuted. Further, new commercial offerings like barrels and stocks will ensure these guns run and have support for a long time.

What's different with the M14 market is those receivers are considered auto and are a no-go, they got captain crunched. The commercial market popped up to fill that gap.

I'm more interested in the Handi rifles. Want an inexpensive single shot with interchangeable barrels that can take a scope. Improve the quality even 5% over the old Handi rifle, and they've got a winner.

This isn't an M1, but this already exists. I'd guess there is room in the marketplace:

I'm more interested in the Handi rifles. Want an inexpensive single shot with interchangeable barrels that can take a scope. Improve the quality even 5% over the old Handi rifle, and they've got a winner.

This isn't an M1, but this already exists. I'd guess there is room in the marketplace:
Similar to the Shuff's Parkerizing mag-fed Garand. I think Shuff does great work, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for irreversibly machining an original M1 garand receiver!!

So they want to go out of business AGAIN by remaking a rifle where the ammo is at a minimum $1.50 a round and the clips are $1.00 each ?

I can't stand that ArfBro so I didn't watch the video, just assuming the caliber is 30.06
Clips at $1.00 ...where?? most are $2 or $3!!

Don't they need to bring H&R itself back first?

It's still in bankruptcy court, but the PSA parent company has dibs on H&R. Maybe NEF also; I'm not sure about that.

Like I (apparently) said earlier. They should start simple, and bring back the H&R/NEF Handi Rifle.

Take that one simple rifle, which could be had for around $149, and add $40 of better finishing to it, and you'll have a sure thing. Would be a great way to expirement with newer calibers or one-offs calibers.

Back
Top Bottom