Ham operators attending the Rolling Rally

Repeater use will be tough if there will be a lot of comm traffic. Waltham would probably be the best one to use, but you'd need to get permission to take over the repeater for a couple hours. Waltham is kind of a busy repeater...so the odds are not in our favor.

I think, honestly, the best option would be to distribute hams throughout the train of vehicles and have them relay back and forth. A control operator would need to be in charge...possibly with the event organizer and then he can relay back/forth up and down the line. That way, simplex is less hassle and you don't have to tie up a repeater for an hour or two...plus...you can change frequencies if need be.

Oh...and I already heard on NPR that the press is aware of the rally. Of course, their only comment was, "The organizers are asking participants to NOT bring confederate flags."

Nothing about the main point of the rally. Fighting an uphill battle here.

I'd recommend contacting AB1CQ and seek permission to use his 2-meter repeater in West Bridgewater (146.775). It has a huge footprint, especially if your users have mobile radio/antenna setups. He is on this forum as Uncle Griz.

I'll have a 2m/440 and one that can cover 450-512, just let me know what you're using.

I should have this tomorrow So I will be able to listen/monitor...of course I have to figure out how to use it all before Sunday...lol

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-UV-5X3...=UTF8&qid=1472165600&sr=8-5&keywords=tri+band

91m%2Bxc2bqnL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm hesitant to suggest it because of the amount of work and the short timeline, but I do have a portable repeater (25w). I'd need someone to reprogram the radios and re-tune the duplexer. It's currently setup for 464.6000/469.6000 which I believe is coordinated business. It's a Motorola GR500 (a pair of GM300). Any Motorola guys up to the challenge?

Was any decision reached at the meeting regarding the SOP for communication on Sunday?

The short answer is yes and it is not very complicated, below are some basic points.

• Business band radios will be used to broadcast "Voice of the Rally" information to all participants, Chris is handling those radios and he has a handout for all.

• Hams will be pulled aside for a very quick briefing and a separate handout which my colleague Gary and I are creating and will distribute.

• There will be ham mobile equipped vehicles at three key points the lead, tail-end, and the middle which is also where the “Voice of the rally” info will be broadcasting from.

• We have already designated vehicles for the lead and middle positions.

• We have yet to confirm who is going to take up the tail-end, it will have to be someone capable of helping direct ham vehicles into line getting underway (see below).

• In addition to those three key points we will also disburse ham mobile equipped cars throughout the length of the procession (based on availability).

• Inserting these cars will be the responsibility of the tail-end ham before pulling out.

• An overarching consideration for disbursement will be those with actual mobile radios and external antennas.

• There should be no need to transmit unless completing an assigned task or reporting on something critical (an emergency of course).

• Any critical reports will be relayed to the "voice of the rally" car where if needed all participants will be informed via the business band.

• We hope to assign every car in the procession a simple number as they pull out 1-200 so if included in a report we will have a relative idea of the position within the procession.

• We are speaking with someone about accessing a repeater if needed, any it would only be intermittently if we do, we are not going to be running a net.

• However simplex, particularly for mobiles running 10-25 watts, should be no problem, and that is what we are aiming for.

(Note: As for simplex and handhelds, with 1/4 waves and 5 watts out inside cars, they should still be fine if they need transmit in an emergency. And realistically if they can't complete a QSO a 1/4 mile up the road it is doubtful they could bring a repeater 15 miles away to full quite.)

We are not going to give frequencies out here in the clear, when finalized PM ahead of time can probably be done

If you would like to know my call PM with yours, I would be happy to make you acquaintance. [grin]

Licensed Ham, registered for the rally. I will be riding with my wife, also licensed.

• An overarching consideration for disbursement will be those with actual mobile radios and external antennas.

We are 2m/440MHz capable, 5W HT, external antenna. (Yaesu VX8R, Larsen NMO 2m/70cm).

• Hams will be pulled aside for a very quick briefing and a separate handout which my colleague Gary and I are creating and will distribute.

Has a time and place been designated for the Ham briefing?

We are not going to give frequencies out here in the clear, when finalized PM ahead of time can probably be done

If you would like to know my call PM with yours, I would be happy to make you acquaintance. [grin]

PM sent.

Has a time and place been designated for the Ham briefing?

There will be a safety briefing for all participants prior to departure, and we will pull hams aside for a quick word at that time, plus we will be milling around and talking before hand -- this is a low key, use common sense operation.

It would be good however if ham equipped cars arrived as early as possible, because the plan is to temporarily park them in a group from where they can be strategically insert into the procession as it starts.
Let people know you are a ham when you arrive. The general lining up of vehicles will begin a 7:30 AM -- I will be there an hour early or as soon as I can get to through the gates [grin]

Back
Top Bottom