Ham radio directory - NEW FEATURE - PLEASE READ POST #16 EVEN IF YOU ARE IN IT!

Been a ham for almost 38 years. You can check me out on www.qrz.com ...W1GRC and the proud owner of 146.775 at 500' in W. Bridgewater. Also GMRS on 462.650 / WQAK889 at 400' in W.Bridgewater. Totaly enjoy shooting and ham radio...73 to all ...Gary-W1GRC

Last edited:
Been a ham for almost 38 years. You can check me out on www.qrz.com ...W1GRC and the proud owner of 147.775 at 500' in W. Bridgewater. Also GMRS on 462.650 / WQAK889 at 400' in W.Bridgewater. Totaly enjoy shooting and ham radio...73 to all ...Gary

Welcome to the group Gary.
I see you didn't waste any time in going Green
Seeing as you're only in Bridgewater, did you check this out?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-R-Milsurp-Modern-Semi-Shoot!-March-26th-8-am

Good chance for you to meet the gang.

73'

thanks Zappa, I'm in and paid for! however, I could not find the + sign to enter my name and phone number. I hope that is no problem when I get there. A few guys where I work will be there too. FUN. 73 for now

Hello,

I am a newb to ham radio, just got my ticket. I have a small amount of "spare" change. Enough for a new HT. I am also lucky enough to have a friend that lent me a HF base transciever. My question, do I buy an HT to get on the radio or maybe save more change for a tower and base antenna?

73, KB1VWT

Hello,

I am a newb to ham radio, just got my ticket. I have a small amount of "spare" change. Enough for a new HT. I am also lucky enough to have a friend that lent me a HF base transciever. My question, do I buy an HT to get on the radio or maybe save more change for a tower and base antenna?

73, KB1VWT

Hello I'm an extra class ham. This question comes up often. Here's my answer to the new folks.--

Unless you live in an urban area forget the HT. It will do nothing but frustrate you because of its very limited range. I live on the highest hill in town 4 miles from a great repeater and I cant hit it with my VX-7.
If you want the cheapest route to go on air pick up a Icom V-8000. Great great high power 2m radio for 200 bucks. You can't find a higher power or tougher radio. I don't even think they make one? This radio has 75w output. more than enough for New England. A simple X40 antenna with this radio will get you on the air very well.
Save the HT for later in your radio career. They're great for doing road races and talking to your friends in the woods but for a main line radio??? No way!!!
Keep saving up for your HF tower and whatever antenna you plan on putting on it. Great idea. Most folks cut their teeth on 2m or 440.

PS Nice job hitting the General and skipping the Tech license!!

Hello,

73, KB1VWT

Much depends on what part of ham radio you wish to pursue. Ham radio has so many facets, that most folks only concentrate on certain parts of the hobby. If you lean towards HF operation, I'd suggest throwing a wire up immediately and saving your money for a tower and antenna. On the other hand, getting by with a wire for HF would allow you to pick up something for VHF/UHF now.

What part of the hobby interests you the most at the moment??

Get on HF now with a wire antenna. You don't need a tower as evidenced by the fact that most hams don't have one. All I'm running is a manual tuner into a 100' piece of 14AWG wire about 60' up into a tree. I'm new to HF so I can't say how it compares to a wire dipole but I've heard Russia, Hawaii and I just got done with a special event were I worked each of the original 13 colonies. For the price of the HT you can get a tuner, length of wire and a few insulators. You also should pound an 8' ground rod near the shack.

Does anybody know if the link for the map is still available? I did not receive it from Mat yet, although I may be a little impatient, it's only been a couple of days.

Thanks

Is this where I go for a pat on the back for passing my Tech exam? [wink]

I just got home from the test, trying to find out what's next. I have radios because I am retard when it comes to hobbies, I just need to figure out how to use them beyond basic programming and listening.

Last edited:
[party]
WELCOME to the hobby Ed!!

There's the New Technician's License Holder thread, but this one works.

Read around this forum. There's tons of info, but the best thing to do if you have the time is hunt down your local ham club. Just like with guns, there's nothing like going to the club to talk to people and see what they have. Here's the ARRL's find a club page.

Do you have an idea of what you want to do in the hobby? It's really 99 hobbies in one.

Back
Top Bottom