Ham Radio License Manual - Level 1

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I've started to study for my Technician's License. I am using hamstudy.org and an older copy of the Level 1 Manual (Second Edition July 2010 - June 2014). Should I consider getting a copy of the current manual or would I be better off waiting until the next version in printed?

Well, most of the study manuals are based on whatever the current question pool contains at the time of publication. For technician, the current question pool is valid for 2014 to sometime mid-2018. Older manuals will probably get you familiar enough with the material in order to pass but may not include any material additions, corrections, or if there were regulatory changes.

Personally, I wouldn't get a current copy of the manual since it'll be defunct in a couple of months anyhow. Instead, concentrate on the on the on-line practice tests and use the internet to research areas that you are having trouble with. Repeat until you score 80+% and you will pass the written test with flying colors...

I used the online practice tests 100%. A few things I google searched to get background info. Usually the commentary on HamStudy gives enough info.

One more question. I am assuming that technical information in the manual is still current.

I have the current edition and I can't imagine that the technical information is different. The only difference is the footnote references in the book that will refer to an exam question. I'm pretty sure that when they create new questions there will be a new book with different spots in the book referencing the question pool.

Everyone's advice here is good. The basics don't change, just which specific questions get asked. I think they change about 25% of the questions each update.

So, your old book is good and will get you 90% there. Grind through the online practice tests and you are good to go. Lots of people get their license simply by memorizing the correct answers on the practice tests. Though not ideal, you actually do learn quite a bit by memorizing the correct answers and recognizing wrong answers. Don't get all hung up on the theory, unless that makes your toes curl. If you stick with the hobby the theory will come with time. For now, learn enough of the rules and procedures to stay out of trouble, get your ticket and get on the air!

Last edited:
Definitely keep taking the online quizzes, until comfortable. Then go for tech and general at the same sitting. It doesn't cost any more and not that difficult. If nothing else it will give you an idea of the general test. If you pass both, it opens up a whole new world. Good luck!

The technician's License is fairly easy to pass and is easy to memorize the question pool. Don't worry about the fact that you memorized the question/answers to pass the exam, you will have plenty of time to learn what you need to know once you have your license. If you really want to pass the exam stop fooling around and spend the next 30 days getting ready for the exam.
If you spend 30 minuets a day for 30 days doing the practice tests on QRZ. you will be ready. This is free all you have to do is become a free member of QRZ www.qrz.com go to the Resources tap click on Practice Amateur Radio Exams, click on 2014 Technician Exam Practice Test and start taking the exams. The program keeps track of your progress and once you start hitting 85-90 percent you will be ready. Don't get discouraged your scores will be low in the beginning, however you will be at 90 percent or better in 30 days if you keep to the practice schedule. This should not take you more then 30 days if you keep to the schedule 30 minuets a day for 30 days. Do not skip a day, it will set you back, don't make excesses why you cant keep to the schedule. Do this if you really want your license. There is no excuse not to be ready by this time next month. I know you are in Western Mass. There is an exam session scheduled the 4th.Friday of every month at the Holyoke Hospital.
4th Friday of the month 6:00 PM, Technician, General, and Extra Class License Exams, Holyoke Hospital Auxiliary Conference Center, 575 Beech Street, Holyoke, Mass. Hosted by the Western Mass VE Team (WMVET). Contact: David Cote, [email protected]
If you need any help please contact me.

Back
Top Bottom