Ham Radio / Morse Code / Straight Key Night 2018

UJay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There is an annual tradition for many ham radio operators who take to the short-wave airways by breaking out the old gear and 'pound brass' for New Year's Day.

Here I am using a Yaesu FT-101EE that was delivered new to my Grandmother (sk) in 1977.

View: https://youtu.be/7gbsyPSEh3s

Even without old gear, and maybe not even a straight key- if you have the ability to tune around the CW portions of the bands, or better yet- make a contact = you will hear the soothing chirps and clicks of yesteryear.

UJay

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For one reason or another I always miss SKN. With a family there's always something going on to distract me. But maybe in the back of my mind I'm not making it a priority out of courtesy to my fellow hams who would have a helluva hard time trying to figure out my fist since I use a straight key almost never[rofl]

Katana88

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Wow, that brings back memories. My father was a radio officer on ships during the 60's and early 70's. When he was home, I would sit in his study and listen to him "talking" to his buddies all around the world in Morse Code. I remember him being so happy when he was on his radios. Thank you for sharing a very old technology with new technology! Brings back lots of great memories!

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK, I've got a Dad story.
In WWII my dad was in the Navy in the South Pacific. At one point bunch of ships were all anchored together on a night with lots of low clouds. Two friends on different ships started a conversation by flashing Morse off a cloud with their signaling lights. Others got the idea and pretty soon there was a dozen conversations flashing off a dozen different clouds. It must have been an interesting sight.

Parker Duofold

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I also missed SKN. My station is setup (Elecraft K3) in my Maine QTH these days and I wasn't there. I am 99% CW guy. Used to setup my Drake 2B receiver and Johnson Navigator transmitter on SKN.

ARRL LM
RCA
FOC
licensed since 1965

UJay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have submitted this video to ARRL, and hope you NES guys noticed the Rock Chucker cameo! (photo bomb?)

Same here @Parker Duofold as -mostly- a cw guy, although FT8 is a mindless, fun video-game sort-of mode that has exploded in popularity and is easy to implement.
Was big in helping me secure WAS (Worked all States) on most bands. My SO2R setup is 2x K3 (non-s) radios and the ol' Yaesu comes out and dusted off around Christmas and gets put back on the shelf on 2 Jan!
FB on FOC, I am charter CWOperators' club life member, nominated by a charter FOC guy Vic N4XR(sk)- also going to DC for CW weekend in June.

It would be tougher to visually read morse code, but would have figured it out for sure to communicate through the clouds in the south Pacific @cockpitbob

Although CW/Morse code seems like old technology, on the radio contesting scene, there are some pretty high-tech advances there.
Here is a 5min practice session from a couple of years ago. Put stereo headphones on;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0LxVLIWLo4

This weekend (Saturday night) is RTTY RoundUp. I made a few QSOs and will make a few more before the end of the event.

73 uj

UJay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Vic was my elmer of sorts, I was his 'IT guy' for sure. The team from KB1H (sk) would help maintain Vic's station, including the tear-down :( . Vic's Titan sits on the shelf here.

50 Q's in the RTTY RU. Cold out in the shack.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, that brings back memories. My father was a radio officer on ships during the 60's and early 70's. When he was home, I would sit in his study and listen to him "talking" to his buddies all around the world in Morse Code. I remember him being so happy when he was on his radios. Thank you for sharing a very old technology with new technology! Brings back lots of great memories!

CW...the original digital protocol!

FYI. The CMARA club is doing a "Learn CW Training Net" every Monday night at 730pm. WA1JXR (Greg) is teaching the classes.

We are about half way through but you can still join in and listen.

It is on the Paxton repeater. 146.970 PL 114.8 - Negative Offset.

UJay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The time is upon us for SKN 2019. Was trying to get my Novice Rig, an Icom IC-735, but will likely use the Yaesi FT-101EE for a few QSOs.

Top Bottom