Ham Radio Nets

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
A comment was made in the Corona Virus mega-thread about having a Ham Net . . . but that's buried in >2K replies. So I'm pulling that post out here and some links wrt my response.

Some existing Ham Nets on ARfcom:

Tuesday evening 80 meter SSB net. Now Tuesday Evening SSB Net - AR15.COM

Currently, I do not have HF capability and I have no idea how to modify my Anytone 868 to connect with the DMR Talk Group they use, so I'm just throwing this info out there for others at this point.

I’m not even licensed yet but intend to get an Anytone 868. If you establish a net I’m pulling the trigger just to listen in.

I dusted off the HF radio last week and am copying various nets mostly on 40 meters and am seeing some activity on the five 60 meter channels. 20 meters is pretty noisy in my location and with my antenna setup and I know there are some pretty good nets on 20 I know I'm missing. I'm working from home more starting last week and hope to get better skills with the digital modes.

The bands have been pretty lousy the past several weeks, almost to the point of unusable. There is the ECARS net that is on everyday from early morning until the band goes long around noonish. Frequency is 7.255mhz (LSB). They have a website if you you need info. When I worked nights back in the 80s, I was a pretty active user. I know they’re still active but propagation just sucks really bad right now.

I'm getting my feet wet with the Anytone, scanning 2M band while studying for my exam on Monday. Who here can hit the Paxton, MA, repeater on 146.970? Just listened to a nightly net and people were checking in from as Foxboro (40 miles by flight).

I'm getting my feet wet with the Anytone, scanning 2M band while studying for my exam on Monday. Who here can hit the Paxton, MA, repeater on 146.970? Just listened to a nightly net and people were checking in from as Foxboro (40 miles by flight).
I can hit Paxton from Shrewsbury. They have a new breakfast net daily too maybe 10:30?

I regularly have it on and listen from Gardner. On a good night I can hit the Paxton repeater with my HT other times I have to fire up the 5100

I listen in on the Wilbraham repeater during the weekdays and I am pretty sure John from here is on it. I do listen in but have yet to speak. Trying to figure out the best procedures.

Having said that, I do have some GRMS Wilkie talkies and I was able to program my baofeng to the same frequency and ctcss codes so there is that. I am not sure but this seems to be where the GMRS license crosses into the Ham radio license.

I figure I will use the ham call sigh using the ham radio and have the immediate family use the GRMS call sign when they are using the cobra walkie talkies. Is this due to power output and available frequencies of the different radios?

A comment was made in the Corona Virus mega-thread about having a Ham Net . . . but that's buried in >2K replies. So I'm pulling that post out here and some links wrt my response.

Some existing Ham Nets on ARfcom:

Tuesday evening 80 meter SSB net. Now Tuesday Evening SSB Net - AR15.COM

Currently, I do not have HF capability and I have no idea how to modify my Anytone 868 to connect with the DMR Talk Group they use, so I'm just throwing this info out there for others at this point.

I broached the subject of a corona happenings net to keep track of what's going on, and where trouble might be cropping up. I wanted to hear about BLM protest locations, reports of violence or vandalism, and current news in my community. Figured hams would be able to provide "a boots on the street" report.

No one was interested. Everyone assumes that nothing is going to happen, and everything is safe and fine. I dropped the idea.

Back
Top Bottom