HAM Radio related Community Service Events

Anyone know if there are any more community service events coming up that I can volunteer for?

Any good websites that consolidate this type of thing?

Thanks

ETA: Changed the subject to remove confusion

Last edited:
The community can suck my balls.

- - - Updated - - -

^kidding. kinda

My Brother's Table in Lynn is always accepting help. Wife and I do it once in a while. Spend a day serving food to homeless and hopeless people...very humbling.

Anyone know if there are any more community service events coming up that I can volunteer for?

Any good websites that consolidate this type of thing?

Thanks
What are you looking for? I have no use for 98.4% of the people I meet, so I volunteer at a local animal shelter. Only one hour per week at the moment, but it makes me feel good and relaxes me. Habitat for Humanity or Big Brothers/Big Sisters are always looking for folks to help out.

ETA: I just noticed what section this was in. I'm betting that none of those organizations need ham radio operators! This will probably help: ARRL

Sorry...should have been more clear. But I was assuming since this is the HAM forum, people would assume I meant HAM related community service.

haha I always click new posts and never realize what forum I'm responding in.

HEH...no worries. I was just slightly confused by some of the responses.... [rofl]

I don't use the "new posts" feature. I go forum to forum. Weird, I know. [grin]

Many clubs have a person or committee in charge of community service. Check with the clubs in your area. This time of year there's a lot of runs, rides, parades, etc that need help.

The Mohawk Amateur Radio Club (located in Gardner) will be running a Special Event station at the Greater Gardner Relay For Life June 10th-11th, held at Mount Wachusett Community College. The callsign will be N1C (Number 1 Cure). We'll be there from Friday morning through Saturday evening. All are welcome to come check it out and operate, we'll have two stations running, 1 SSB, and another on RTTY/PSK/whatever. This will be our second year running it, last year we did over 500 contacts, and will have special QSL cards to send out. Check out N1C on qrz.com for the details. We'll be at the basketball courts right by the track.

-Matt

Last edited:
A couple upcoming Ham radio public service events I am aware of:

- Sunday September 25, Jimmy Fund Walk. Contact Brett Smith AB1RL [email protected]

- Saturday October 1, Cystic Fibrosis Cycle for Life. Contact Mark Richards K1MGY [email protected]

- Sunday October 9, BAA Half Marathon. Register on the BAA website and contact Brett Smith AB1RL [email protected]

- Friday through Sunday October 21, 22 & 23. Head of the Charles Regatta. Sign up of the HOCR website. Contact Jeff Arnold K1EMS [email protected]

- Saturday October 29. Ashland Half Marathon. Contact Mark Richards K1MGY [email protected]

The Head of the Charles Regatta (http://www.hocr.org/) is a fantastically fun and exciting event for Amateur Radio public service. This premiere rowing event, attracting competitors from all over the world, relies upon Amateur Radio communications for coordination and medical support of both land and boat-based services along the beautiful Charles River.

HOCR has a need for at least three more communications volunteers.

On 21 October (Friday) the event holds a practice session for participants from mid morning to late afternoon. There are two land-based positions available.

On Saturday the event kicks off. There is one land-based position available.

There are no slots available for Sunday, 22 October, but I'm sure HOCR will put you on a reserve list if you'd like a slot there.

To serve, you need a decent dual-band hand-held radio and should have some experience supporting communications and working within teams.

Contact Jeff Arnold K1EMS [email protected]

MS Walk Natick starts at Natick High School, at 15 West Street in Natick, and loops through town. Volunteers will check in at 8:00 AM, and stay until the early afternoon.

Rick Savage, KB1LYJ, ( rpsavage @ comcast.net ) is organizing the hams for this event. To volunteer, please write him with the following information:
Your call sign, full name, and name you prefer on the air
Contact information: your e-mail address and phone numbers where you can be reached (cell, home, office)
Your shirt size
The transmit band(s) of your radio(s), and other equipment you could bring
Do you have any needs or requests we should consider when making your assignment?

In addition to contacting Rick all volunteers must register online ( http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=28763&pg=informational&sid=13239&s_src=walk-fy17-hom-reg-referal&s_subsrc=nmss-popup-web&utm_source=nmss&utm_medium=referal&utm_campaign=walk-fy17-hom-reg&utm_content=popup-web ). This is a requirement of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Rick can also answer any questions you have about the event.

Amateur Radio volunteers needed for the Harvard Pilgrim Finish At The 50 on the evening of July 3rd. This is a 5k/10k race that goes through and around Gillette Stadium in Foxboro. More information about the race here: https://www.finishatthe50.com/

If interested, please contact Brett: ab1rl@ Brettcsmith.org

Back
Top Bottom