• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HAM Study Resources?

Can anyone suggest some good study resources? I'm looking to get licensed, but a total newbie. Is there anything out there on the web that I can study at my own pace? Any suggestions welcomed....

First, you probably want the ARRL study book: http://www.amazon.com/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-CD/dp/0872590976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298294954&sr=8-1

For passing the test. in addition to what Howard used, look at the online practice tests at qrz.com. I just kept doing them until I started passing a high percentage. http://www.qrz.com/exams

Don't get too hung up on understanding all the theory. Get your ticket first, and if it's something you like and stay with, the theory will come. Mainly, understand the operating procedures and rules, the safety stuff, and get that ticket.

hamtestonline.com it's $20 for the tech course and I believe $29 for the general. In my opinion it'll take you anywhere from 10 to 15 hours of study time for the tech course and probably another 10 or 15 for the general course.

My best suggestion is for you to look for a local ham radio club in your area.
It's usually as simple as just looking for your location on the web and deciding which club to visit.
There is no one at the door collecting dues or twisting your arm to join and they usually serve refreshments at the end of the meeting.
Every person at one time or another has had to take the test and so there is already a lot of reading material and practice study guides out there - not being put to use - that you can use without having to spend the $25 a book to buy.
I was sick and couldn't do much of anything for a week and I spent the time while I was home - reading the manuals that a club member loaned to me.
Just out of curiosity, I connected one of my radio scanners to my home antenna and programmed in the local frequencies - everything for 70 miles and turned my antenna in their direction and was able to get some pretty good signals. (Without the large antenna and pre amp - nothing - or next to nothing) because most of the club members talked Simplex - one to one on a non repeater channel, and I live in the middle of nowhere.
Since UHF / VHF is( LOS - Line Of Sight ), if there is anything between you and them ( trees, hills, mountains or if you are deep down into a valley ), and since all frequencies reduce at the square of the distance - you might only be able to listen to one side of the conversation on 2 meters - 146ish Mhz.
The repeaters are usually on 450 - 460'ish Mhz - which is a much stronger signal, since most repeaters are usually a higher power radio and their stick is put up near the top of someones radio tower in a real high location ( top of a hill, mountain etc).
Hence height equals gain.
By using web sites such as http://www.worldwidedx.com/forums.php
I was able to log their call signs and read their licenses.
Then I was able to make contacts via email.
I happened to talk - via internet - to a club member from a club that also belonged to the The Parasitic Emission.
http://www.parasiticemission.com/
The neat thing was that they had people who could give you the examination - right there at their club house - after the meeting and The Parasitic Commission pays for your test fee's and for your license for life - as long as you do not choose to get a Vanity Call Sign.
The first club I contacted allowed me to participate in one of their outings - after logging call signs for a couple of hours and I was able to talk on their radio for about 4 hours straight.
That let me dabble my foot into it before I took the big plunge.

The second club - gave me my test - which I passed my Technician's the first time and missed my General by 4 questions - and I only studied for my General for about 6 hours / on the side of my Tech license, since you have to take them one at a time and it is more important to take and pass your first exam then to get the second one.
You need to realize that the Technician and General License is just the start and most of your conversations is going to be limited to the 2 meters band and that it is a very expensive hobby.
With the All Star and the Echo Link, it isn't just as easy as buying a cheap / used radio anymore and connecting it to a car antenna and talking.
Your first radio - if you are starting from nothing like I am - can easily cost you $1000.00 by the time you purchase a radio / antenna / computer program and cable to connect your radio to your computer and all the do dad's and knick nacks such as a SWR meter and a antenna tuner and a power supply.
When you get your General - you are probably going to want to buy a good Ham radio and that can be anywhere from $400 for a cheap used rig to more then $12,000 for a top of the line rig.
Not to mention towers and antenna's and amplifiers and wire - which is usually a $1 or more a foot. Antenna rotors - which might be $500.00+
And people to help you erect your set up and get you started.

The good thing is - Ham radio people are from all walks of life and they usually own more radios then what they know what to do with and they usually have spares that they can lend to you and they have advice - some of which will save you thousands of dollars in the long run - when you consider that some radios are a real piece of junk and you shouldn't get involved with anything or anybody that is going to take money out of your pockets - leaving you with nothing to show for a couple months pay - but a radio that doesn't work or a power supply that craps out every time you key the mic. Or shop time - to repair the radio which might cost as much as what it is worth!

One piece of advice is not to hold anything against a entire club, just because one of the members was a idiot or treated you poorly.
You will run into the same thing when you start talking on two meters also - due to the fact that you have to take your test in order to get your license - but anyone that can pass the test can get a license - there is no one at the door to keep the idiots off the radio - just like the CB radio was 35 years ago.
Some people chooses to run the room when you have a Echo Link or All Star node conversation and that is ok sometimes.
But everyone has their own personality - and not everyone in this world is nice people. Don't let the couple of bad apples spoil it for everyone. Just move on and forget them - if they act rude or if they do something offensive. You got to remember that when you get your big license - you can practically talk the whole way around the world with the right atmospheric conditions.
The Two Meters - which I call the Walkie Talkie band is just the most basic of frequencies which a person can talk on and carry on two way conversations. In the end, you will make lot's of friends.
That is where the club house comes in - you get to put faces to the call signs...
73's
Jerry

My view, for Technician (first level) don't spend any money - plenty of free online resources, and at worst case you can download the question pool (note its new as of 2010) and study from that. Technician has very little theory - more about what frequencies you are allowed to use and the rules/regulations. Depending on your background, probably 6-8hrs of study and you are there. The Framingham club for example is holding a "get a license in a weekend" http://www.fara.org/.

Check our ARRL.org, and *now* find a suitable exam session in say a months time and aim for that !!

QRZ Practice: www.qrz.com/exams
AA9PW Site: http://aa9pw.com/radio/technician/
Definitive Question Pool: http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=356

Then buy yourself a handheld ($100), get on and learn about repeaters to see if you like the hobby. You could start studying for General (level 2) right away of course :)

I did not join a club right away, was a little intimidated - for no real reason except didn't know the "language". Yes, hams are all very friendly, but sometimes don't realize they are talking a foreign language.

Just shout, as you can see from this thread, we are all keen to help a new guy get into ham radio! No doubt we can loan/give books (you're welcome to my General class book)

Tim
KQ1Y

We had the Norwood Club do a class and that's how I got Tech. Then I used hamtestonline.com and that's how I got my General.

I got my stuff and then joined the Sturdy Radio club. We're talking about holding a class...so if you want I can keep you posted. If it works out, I plan on putting my 7 year old in the class.

I have seen a lot of pictures of young kids that got their ticket at a very early age.
But I cannot comprehend how they could actually understand the theory well enough to be able to comprehend what you are teaching them.
300 Questions - even though they are multiple guess - is a lot of questions to learn.
I was talking to a Certified Instructor last night and he was telling me about how they had a class where you went for 8 hours and got your ticket all in one day.
Now I was sick when I read the book - so I can't really comment in how long it took me to learn what I needed to learn to take the test.
And I can also say that one of the web sites I used to practice was of little help - because it asked the same questions over and over and then wanted paid to give the rest of the questions.
But I will say that i'm middle aged and the test was very hard for me because I have been away from all this stuff for 30+ years and it is a little intimidating to say the least.
The questions and answers might help you - if you were actually going to build your own radios some day and needed to understand theory and stuff.
But the first test = Technician - those frequencies aren't much more then what I can already broadcast on with my GMRS radios, Which legally requires a license to operate - if you used them for more then a couple of miles of a daily basis - but there isn't anything to prohibit a person from using them without a license or even buying them.
So it doesn't really make any sense to me why they even require a person to pass a test to get their license when if the person who took the test and passed only memorized the answers and doesn't really understand what the subject is. The bottom line to me is - that maybe people feels like I do now that I passed the test and had to study to pass the test that if I had to do it - you should have to do it also.
The FCC doesn't care - all they want is the license fee's.

I have seen a lot of pictures of young kids that got their ticket at a very early age.
But I cannot comprehend how they could actually understand the theory well enough to be able to comprehend what you are teaching them.
300 Questions - even though they are multiple guess - is a lot of questions to learn.
I was talking to a Certified Instructor last night and he was telling me about how they had a class where you went for 8 hours and got your ticket all in one day.
Now I was sick when I read the book - so I can't really comment in how long it took me to learn what I needed to learn to take the test.
And I can also say that one of the web sites I used to practice was of little help - because it asked the same questions over and over and then wanted paid to give the rest of the questions.
But I will say that i'm middle aged and the test was very hard for me because I have been away from all this stuff for 30+ years and it is a little intimidating to say the least.
The questions and answers might help you - if you were actually going to build your own radios some day and needed to understand theory and stuff.
But the first test = Technician - those frequencies aren't much more then what I can already broadcast on with my GMRS radios, Which legally requires a license to operate - if you used them for more then a couple of miles of a daily basis - but there isn't anything to prohibit a person from using them without a license or even buying them.
So it doesn't really make any sense to me why they even require a person to pass a test to get their license when if the person who took the test and passed only memorized the answers and doesn't really understand what the subject is. The bottom line to me is - that maybe people feels like I do now that I passed the test and had to study to pass the test that if I had to do it - you should have to do it also.
The FCC doesn't care - all they want is the license fee's.

When I did my class with the Norwood club, it was over 6 weeks and it was out of the book. Not memorizing just a list of questions. And there's not to much on the Tech level that has to do with building radios. I could understand that if you were going for Extra or something, but Tech wasn't much of anything.

I have no reason to think that my kid can't learn what's needed in a 6 week class that's required to pass the test.

Back
Top Bottom