Hammerli Tac R1 vs. S&W 15-22

mattgm100

NES Member
Hey all,

I'm new to guns. I'm looking to start with a 22LR on the AR platform (15-22, etc.) and have come across the S&W 15-22 and the Hammerli Tac R1. Has anyone used both?
Can you recommend one over the other, what you like, and why?

Also, if anyone knows where to get a 15-22 or is willing to sell one please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Matt M.

i would go SW
The Hammerli is a Umerex company as soon as you buy one they will be discontinued and gou will need parts! Thats just my feelings.

Hey all,

I'm new to guns. I'm looking to start with a 22LR on the AR platform (15-22, etc.) and have come across the S&W 15-22 and the Hammerli Tac R1. Has anyone used both?
Can you recommend one over the other, what you like, and why?

Also, if anyone knows where to get a 15-22 or is willing to sell one please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Matt M.
Read the ‘best .22lr’ thread next to this one.
You will be better with a bolt action, like Savage Mark II FV people spoke about.
Use an AR with .223 and 5.56.

15-22

The R1 and the umarex has a non functional bolt release, you have to use the charging handle. That’s a no go for me

Yeah I'm more looking to have fun, not necessarily looking for "the best .22 LR"
Looks like fun
CITADEL TRAKR .22LR RIFLE - 18" under $200
Chiappa ma kes a few kool 22s
MFOUR 22
And a M1-22
All fun
I love it. A $200 trigger in a $400 gun. That reminds me, I need to upgrade the trigger in mine!
eh is what it is , I have scope rings on some 22s that are worth more than the gun they are on. Dont even ask me about the scopes

Can you shed some light on what this means? Thanks!
The 15-22 has an AR-Style bolt release. The R1 and Umarex don't, and you have to pull the charging handle back to drop the bolt.

While it looks like it has standard AR controls, some of them function differently. The safety can be engaged whether or not the hammer is cocked. The bolt does lock back on an empty magazine, but the bolt stop is just for show. To release the bolt after you’ve reloaded, you’ll have to work the charging handle, which retracts less than two inches due to the shortness of the .22 LR cartridge.

The 15-22 has an AR-Style bolt release. The R1 and Umarex don't, and you have to pull the charging handle back to drop the bolt.

And that's an issue? Sorry, new to the whole semi-auto rifle world, previous experience with Bolt Action single fire only

i like the all metal upper and lower receivers on the Hammerli. Thing gets great reviews. Bolt release on a .22 is a non issue for me, probably most.

And that's an issue? Sorry, new to the whole semi-auto rifle world, previous experience with Bolt Action single fire only

If, you wanted to start off with an ar-15 that’s .22lr then I would keep much of the controls the same, when your ready to buy a center fire ar-15.

I use the bolt release on a center fire ar-15. I would buy myself a 15-22 for keeping my training the same.

Walter tak r1 and HK 416m made by Umarex. The finish much better than sw 15-22
Very accurate. I would recommend it. Bolt don't realised from pedal on left side, so what ?
This is not a real 5.56 gun anyway

Back
Top Bottom