Hamming it up!

Just got my Extra last year. Finally getting around to expanding my bands.
TYT TH-9800 Quad Band Mobile on the way with a new antenna and dc power supply. I will be doing all kinds of stuff soon. I just dont know what yet.

... I just did my first renew. You can't renew until your with in 90 days of expiration? I had to mark it on my calendar. ...

Nature's Way of telling you that it's time to renew is unsolicited letters from W5IY and ARRL, offering to act as your renewal agent for one low, low price.

What's nice is it's free!

And Uncle Charlie will give you a CORES/ULS password without even putting a human in the loop. So it's a quick-turnaround process as well as free.

(Once upon a time the password was snail mailed to you, so in theory you had to wait for the envelope to appear before you could apply for a vanity call online. Although back in '03 a very knowledgeable help line guy in Gettysburg was willing to do a temporary password reset for me, so I could file by credit card on the very day my license appeared in ULS).

Too bad my vanity call came up for renewal before the FCC stopped charging for vanity renewals.

Nature's Way of telling you that it's time to renew is unsolicited letters from W5IY and ARRL, offering to act as your renewal agent for one low, low price.

And Uncle Charlie will give you a CORES/ULS password without even putting a human in the loop. So it's a quick-turnaround process as well as free.

(Once upon a time the password was snail mailed to you, so in theory you had to wait for the envelope to appear before you could apply for a vanity call online. Although back in '03 a very knowledgeable help line guy in Gettysburg was willing to do a temporary password reset for me, so I could file by credit card on the very day my license appeared in ULS).

Too bad my vanity call came up for renewal before the FCC stopped charging for vanity renewals.

Or you can wait for N1IQI to send you a radiogram reminding you to renew! [grin]

Ask my how and why I know this! [rofl]

Blindfire I just tuned in the Paxton Repeater and I am able to hit it no problem from Wilbraham. I hope to catch you on sometime.
My call sign is N1HM I can be found on QRZ. Saturday is Christmas Eve and we are having out holiday house party so I won't be joining in to the net this Saturday.

Last edited:
I have several Baofeng handhelds and other than them being cumbersome to manually program, they work fine. Chirp is the best method to program them. Based on cost, I also looked into their mobile radios, and found reports that they were were low power output radios, compared to many other brands, and that they also suffered from thermal related power output problems. That may have changed, if they have released new radios in the past 6 months? You can do a search and get the details on the specific model to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom