• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammock Camping Thread

I love camping, really I do. But I'm tired of not sleeping well on the ground or on a cot. Anyone else hammock tent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jungle hammocks are the perfect camping adaptation.

I have a Clarke that I like a lot.

clarkjunglehammock.jpg

I would love to find a way to mount a hammock off the side of my motorcycle when I pull a 600 mile day and need to take a hour long break.

I'm all about hammock camping. Though, I've done it below freezing and I DEFINITELY would have liked to have had an underquilt below the hammock. In a pinch, lining the hammock with an emergency blanket or a car windshield reflector are better than nothing. But you will get sweaty from the moisture retention.

Overall though, hammock camping is some of the best sleep I've ever had.

I would love to find a way to mount a hammock off the side of my motorcycle when I pull a 600 mile day and need to take a hour long break.

It's doable, but you need to be careful with how you set it up and you need at least one tree or so. I essentially used two big tent stakes connected by a string of 550 cord. This cord was then carabinered to one of the hammock lines, distributing the force onto both tent stakes. This end of the hammock was rested over the motorcycle forks. The key with this setup is that the bike took most of the weight vertically. If you just hook the line up to the bike without the tent stakes on the far side, then the load would be horizontal. One of the issues with using the motorcycle is that it's generally lower than you'd like to sling the hammock and you may end up sliding towards it throughout the night.

I've actually tested this method with two hammocks slung between two bikes. It seemed to work, but I didn't trust it.

Kuyxym7.jpg

VkAoPXo.jpg

pjdEgwf.jpg

htNDVk4.jpg

TXg7O7B.jpg

Last edited:
A couple tips for the Hennessy hammocks:

-The webbing straps help on large trees, but often times I just use the rope on the ends. I don't use it as it comes though. I tied loops into the rope ever few inches for most of the rope, and then towards the end I have a final loop with a carabiner. This makes setup super quick. Just sling the rope around the trees and attach the carabiner back onto the rope on the loop that best fits.

-The internal line that holds the net up off of you doesn't have any flexibility to it and this gives one fewer options for distances between trees to sling up. I cut out some of the center of this string and made a loop at each new end. Then, I hooked up a light bungee cord between them.

Last edited:
A couple tips for the Hennessy hammocks:

-The webbing straps help on large trees, but often times I just use the rope on the ends. I don't use it as it comes though. I tied loops into the rope ever few inches for most of the rope, and then towards the end I have a final loop with a carabiner. This makes setup super quick. Just sling the rope around the trees and attach the carabiner back onto the rope on the loop that best fits.

-The internal line that holds the net up off of you doesn't have any flexibility to it and this gives one fewer options for distances between trees to sling up. I cut out some of the center of this string and made a loop at each new end. Then, I hooked up a light bungee cord between them.

The rope is too narrow to use around the tree without harming it. Minimum 1" flat webbing is the current accepted width to avoid harming the cambium layer directly underneath the bark. If you want a quick set up check out suspensions from Arrow Head Equipment and Dutchware Gear. I splice my own Whoopie slings and use treestraps and toggles from AHE. I have him sew them 7' long with an extra inch in the eye so the toggle will pass right through without untying the marlinspike hitch. Very quick and no risk of losing the toggle because it stays tied in the strap when packed up.

The line under the netting is not just to hold it up. It is a structural ridgeline that ensures the proper amount of sag in the hammock body within a certain range of suspension hang angles. Again, switching to something like a marlinspike hitch/whoopie sling suspension can make some improvements over the stock Hennessey suspension without compromising the structural ridgeline.

There are some U.S. hammock and accessory manufacturers also that are well worth looking into. I believe most of Hennessey's stuff is made in China these days.

Last edited:
The rope is too narrow to use around the tree without harming it. Minimum 1" flat webbing is the current accepted width to avoid harming the cambium layer directly underneath the bark. If you want a quick set up check out suspensions from Arrow Head Equipment and Dutchware Gear. I splice my own Whoopie slings and use treestraps and toggles from AHE. I have him sew them 7' long with an extra inch in the eye so the toggle will pass right through without untying the marlinspike hitch. Very quick and no risk of losing the toggle because it stays tied in the strap when packed up.

The line under the netting is not just to hold it up. It is a structural ridgeline that ensures the proper amount of sag in the hammock body within a certain range of suspension hang angles. Again, switching to something like a marlinspike hitch/whoopie sling suspension can make some improvements over the stock Hennessey suspension without compromising the structural ridgeline.

There are some U.S. hammock and accessory manufacturers also that are well worth looking into. I believe most of Hennessey's stuff is made in China these days.

Thanks for correcting the strap width. I'll have to just pack my ENO looped straps when camping because the Hennessey straps aren't very good except for large trunks.

Regarding the net "riser" string, I'm glad you brought that up for the edification of those reading. That said, I still stand by my mod. All that string did for me was prevent me from getting the hammock to the level of taughtness that I liked. The hammock is still structurally fine with the mod.

Glad to see I'm going in a good direction camping-wise. Had to keep under $100 because I just got an Apex 2xl for Christmas, so I picked up a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater and a set of ENO straps. I had a bunch of points on my Amazon card so I came in under $90.

Going to be on the Saco this weekend with the troop and will be using it. My brew partner/other Assistant Scoutmaster has a hammock tent as well. Amazing how little room it takes up in my kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Hennessey straps kind of suck unless everything is just so, which just doesn't happen.

Love your pics above by the way.

The Hennessey with the Python straps makes it easy. They also make a winter sleeping kit which makes a HUGE difference in comfort when cold. I only just got the Hennessey in the recent group buy but have been out in it a dozen or more times including the last couple of days with just a 50 degree bag. Dry and comfortable. I also ordered separately the larger rainfly, made all the difference on these last long rainy days.

My whole family has Hennessey's. That said I've never heard anything bad about Clark. I use the wide web, but I use it with two rappel rings and carabiner for very quick setup and no knots needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hennessey with the Python straps makes it easy. They also make a winter sleeping kit which makes a HUGE difference in comfort when cold. I only just got the Hennessey in the recent group buy but have been out in it a dozen or more times including the last couple of days with just a 50 degree bag. Dry and comfortable. I also ordered separately the larger rainfly, made all the difference on these last long rainy days.

Thanks for the info. I like the looks of the Hennessy hex tarps. The ones I've seen set up seem to come way down to the ground, or reasonably far if you set them high. Looks like good coverage. I know people swear by the winter shelter, but I'm good with my quilts.

Here's what I'm currently using:
Hammock - Hennessy Expedition
Suspension - AHE marlinspike/whoppie. 5oz, packs a hair bigger than a deck of cards. $22.50 from AHE.
Insulation - HG Incubator 10 underquilt / home made 10* top quilt. Approx 3 pounds together. 950 and 850 down in MultiCam Epsilon fabric. For warmer weather I have a synth 30/50 rectangle bag I use as a top quilt.
Tarps - Wilderness Logic Tadpole, home made winter tarp (with doors) 70d urethane.

I've taken the 10* quilts and my winter tarp down to -8*F in less than ideal conditions. Wind and sweat soaked clothing. My whole shelter (hammock/tarp/insulation/suspension/stakes) fits in a 20L dry bag.

Pics of the tarp and quilt I made:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Is there a good guide in terms of what is needed insulation-wise depending on temp?

Like when do you need to sleep on top of a foam pad, when do you need an underquilt, when can you just use a sleeping bag (and what that bag should be rated at relative to ambient temp), how does wind affect this, etc..?

I never used mine last year because I didn't want to get 10mi into the woods and find out I didn't bring the right insulation and be freezing all night. I have a good idea for ground camping at this point.

Is there a good guide in terms of what is needed insulation-wise depending on temp?

Like when do you need to sleep on top of a foam pad, when do you need an underquilt, when can you just use a sleeping bag (and what that bag should be rated at relative to ambient temp), how does wind affect this, etc..?

I never used mine last year because I didn't want to get 10mi into the woods and find out I didn't bring the right insulation and be freezing all night. I have a good idea for ground camping at this point.

I have not found anything yet, I am usually a warm sleeper but when it got down to about 45 a couple of weeks ago at Monadnock I need to add the undercover, but then I got hot too.

Also, to everyone who has purchased one and not used it yet, I highly recommend getting it out and sleeping in the backyard a couple of times first, I know I wish I had used it a couple of more times before I went out 10 miles from anywhere.

I also use the snap closed velcro entrance, NOT the zipper style. The snap closed is WAY more user friendly to getting in and out. It seals shut perfect every time for me.

Sit and lift your feet. Voila it's closed.

I also use the snap closed velcro entrance, NOT the zipper style. The snap closed is WAY more user friendly to getting in and out. It seals shut perfect every time for me.

Sit and lift your feet. Voila it's closed.

One video review I watched said the bottom velcro entrance was tricky if you also had to get in a sleeping bag in the hammock.
Have you found that to be the case?

Back
Top Bottom