• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hand Sanitizer

PSA ***“Highpuritynaturalproducts.com”*** (see post 75) 100 unit min, *must mention NES* ask for Lauren. (2oz bottles) for $3.88. +shipping. Obviously more than an individual needs for a long time however maybe a Nice gift for your local first responders in this time or for family and friends. Local Business and fellow firearm enthusiasts to boot.

Last edited:
PSA ***“Highpuritynaturalproducts.com”*** just picked up some. 7 bucks for a 4oz bottle. Love it. Not all perfumed up with this or that. Just cleans the hell out of your hands. Filling any size order they say. And made here in Mass!! and the owners a gun guy to boot!! Support a local biz in this time and a fellow shooter, FTW

Hey wait a second! That guy sells POT!

Dillon case lube is nothing more than isopropyl and anhydrous lanolin basically hand sanitizer.
ok, i doused myself with dillon lube. i feel like i just handled a slimy eel then it finishes into a gunky mess. a lot of thought went into that idea.

Not from what I read at the CDC. If you have a better source. Let me know.

Re 100% alcohoo - the other problem is contact time. Alcohol's high vapor pressure means that it evaporates too fast to provide long enough contact time.

From that page. I realize that we are actually talking about virucidal action not bactericidal action:

Microbicidal Activity.
Methyl alcohol (methanol) has the weakest bactericidal action of the alcohols and thus seldom is used in healthcare

I actually want you to be right. I've got a gallon of unopened Kleen Strip. But have been hesitant to use it for wipes because of its methanol content.

The MSDS on this product says 30 to 70% ethanol and 30-60% methanol.
So the primary reason why methanol is never used in healthcare settings (and why it's added to lab grade ethanol and "denatured alcohol" you buy in the store) is because it's toxic (and thus discourages recreational use). Ingestion (or absorption through the skin, inhalation, etc) doesn't trigger the alcohol dehydrogenase to be produced, and thus methanol isn't broken down and causes all sorts of issues which can range from headaches to blindness to death. Ironically enough, the treatment for methanol poisoning is IV ethanol.

The source that the CDC has been pulling that data from for years is a paper from the 1920's (Tilley et al, 1926). There have been several since which have refuted the 70% concentration, and the claim that 2-propanol is really the best. We've also learned a lot about bacteria in the past 100 years, and how various alcohols actually impact them, such as being used as signals to induce biofilm formation, surface attachment, and how various species can actually deal with and metabolize these compounds.

Generally speaking, yes, for many species, methanol is the least directly bactericidal alcohol of the short chains. That said, it is the most difficult alcohol for bacteria to deal with. Many lack the correct pathways to metabolize it, and when it is metabolized, formaldehyde is often the byproduct, which is for many species, is a great deal more toxic than alcohol. It's also able to solubilize things like lipids much more easily, and is in fact used as the preferred fixative during Gram staining for these reasons.

Lol it's cute that people still think this. Or that 9mm is still like, 8 bucks a box.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo

-Mike
I don't know what to tell you other than that's what it cost when I bought it a few weeks ago. I bought two 70% bottles and two 91% bottles. The bottom shelf was full.
I use alcohol as my fluid of choice for cleaning .22 semi auto actions so I like to keep lots on hand.

PSA ***“Highpuritynaturalproducts.com”*** just picked up some. 7 bucks for a 4oz bottle. Love it. Not all perfumed up with this or that. Just cleans the hell out of your hands. Filling any size order they say. And made here in Mass!! and the owners a gun guy to boot!! Support a local biz in this time and a fellow shooter, FTW

Interesting. I just reached out to them and they said they were only doing distributor sales.

Interesting. I just reached out to them and they said they were only doing distributor sales.
Really? I’ll email and see what’s up? I did buy a case, for a friend on my local PD (they can’t get shit) and my cousins fire department so maybe that’s why I was able to get it. Waiting to hear back now.

Last edited:
Thank you! I ordered a gallon (works out to be much cheaper per oz than the little bottles). I'm grateful to find it in stock for my family and especially for my parents, who both have cancer and can definitely use it.

When things settle down financially I'll probably buy my next razor from them.

I've also got a bottle of Bacardi 151 in a pinch.

EDIT - and I found a whole bottle of 91% Iso in the cabinet just now. And a whole squeezy-thing of aloe vera.

Hang onto the Bacardi. They stopped producing 151 a few years back.

Here is a dilution calculator to use to cut high ABV % - 85% to 95.5% with aloe / sun burn cream down to 80% ABV.
(Second table calculator down from the top.)

As other posts have stated. If you have a local distillery, stop by and ask them for some "Fores" or "Heads" for making hand sanitizer. They may have some already mixed up and ready to go, so a phone call and/or bring a squirt bottle. Also inquire about any good bottles they want to sell to help economy.

Ok so I just spoke with them. They are the Direct Producer of the hand sanitizer. Not a store front. They do typically only sell to distributors, With a 1000 unit minimum, (2 ounce bottles at $3.88.) **HOWEVER***when I explained I was posting this on NES and being the gun guys they are the manager I spoke with has directed the sales staff to drop the minimum to 100 units for the same price to anyone calling who mentions NES/ northeastshooters. Thanks salyecica!! Lauren is aware of who to look out for. And They will ship.***Highpuritynaturalproducts.com***

Last edited:
No worries. Check with your local distilleries as most are making hand sanitizer and giving it away for free. Bring your own bottle, 8 ouncesor less and they will fill it up. I oblige them by buying a bottle of their product as they wouldn’t take a donation.

Cheers.
DJinn Spirits in Nashua was giving away 8oz for free if you brought your own container. That was a couple of weeks ago, for a 3 day period. Don't know if they're doing anything now. It was a thin mixture - 70% ethanol as needed, with H202 and aloe, but not "gel" like the commercial ones. We add it to the "regular" stuff we have. Did pick up a bottle of their in stock "Apple" mix to help them out.

absolutely no affiliation, saw on arfcom, sharing with NES if it can possibly help anyone, cheers

It wasn't a dig on the OP. It is more like a "I'll take a pass" on the price gouging by the vendor however.

Makes sense. I was in a Hannaford's and they ran out of wipes for customers to use on the way into the store. So now they have a spray bottle (looks and smells like Simple Green) for people to use. It's been that way for a few weeks.

I buy things on sale and more than one, so I can't go years but still have enough to get by for probably a few months. However, milk, OJ, cheeses, fresh veggies, etc. need replenishment occasionally. So I still have to make occasional runs to the supermarket.

veggies are what my food eats...
Guys... i got a dry cough.....

ive had “good cough blood” most of my life.

if anyone need a primary care doctor it is me....

my Five year plan doesn’t involve being a pussy

Our CERT picked up 5gal 80% Ethanol for use in spray bottles at the surge bed site in Nashua, NH this week for $90 - no governments are waiving taxes for certified medical use.

absolutely no affiliation, saw on arfcom, sharing with NES if it can possibly help anyone, cheers

Just came to post this after falling for the $150 gallon sanitizer in the OP

I got a gallon of the froggy sanitizer yesterday. It took 5 days to land at my door. It smells really bad and its liquid not gel. I dont know a way to test it but it smells like it could kill anything

I got a gallon of the froggy sanitizer yesterday. It took 5 days to land at my door. It smells really bad and its liquid not gel. I dont know a way to test it but it smells like it could kill anything
Without access to a lab, milk is the most common bacterial growth media you’ll have at home. Be easy to run an experiment with ethanol and sodium hypochlorite as controls. Various dilutions, incubate at 37c, test for contamination by smell. It be a real crappy experiment but if you don’t have anything else to do and want to play around, be a fun little thing. Could even get fancy and find something that has a cutoff of 0.2um which is what most intact bacterial cells filter at, and see how much cell mass you can extract after incubation.

Without access to a lab, milk is the most common bacterial growth media you’ll have at home. Be easy to run an experiment with ethanol and sodium hypochlorite as controls. Various dilutions, incubate at 37c, test for contamination by smell. It be a real crappy experiment but if you don’t have anything else to do and want to play around, be a fun little thing. Could even get fancy and find something that has a cutoff of 0.2um which is what most intact bacterial cells filter at, and see how much cell mass you can extract after incubation.

Is ethanol normally rather smelly?

Need more details on that one. Is it ethanol based, isopropyl base, etc?
It is 80% grain alcohol, which is always gonna be ethanol. It is actually probably better than most of the store bought shit.

60-70% IPA (isopropyl alcohol) is the sweet spot for disinfection. The purified water in that concentration acts as a catalyst to penetrate and destroy the germs cells. 90% IPA actually flashes off too quickly and does not always completely destroy infectious cells. It will kill germs but takes longer than the lower concentration, also allows them to go dormant and a “clean” surface may actually not be. On the flip side <50% IPA is ineffective.

Need more details on that one. Is it ethanol based, isopropyl base, etc?

looks like ethyl based from the spec sheet

80% alcohol based hand sanitizer spray
the Hand sanitizer to help reduce bacteria that potentially can cause disease. For use when soap and water are not Available.

Froggy’s Simply SanitizerTM is an 80% Ethyl Alcohol based spray which meets the who recommendation for local production of hand rub suitable for use on hands.

Back
Top Bottom