Handgun safe Vaultek vs FAS-1

nightpoison

NES Member
I'm about to pick up a new pistol safe. This will be used at night and during the day while home. If wife and I both are out, the the pistol will either be on me or in the main safe. I'm just looking for quick access. I've settled on the Vaultek Slide (no wifi, no bluetooth, no biometric, just keypad and key) and the FAS-1 (with key) as they are both quick access pistol safes. Enter code and the door opens presenting the pistol to you.

Pros and cons

Vaultek

Pro​
- solid constructions​
- I like the slide out as I feel it will present the pistol better​
- numeric pad lights up for easy to see at night​
- back up key in case of power loss​
- rechargeable batter via USB​
- Universal pistol mold and one extra mag slot​
- mounting bracket, no need to drill anything​
- price​
Con​
- electronic lock​
- battery​
FAS-1
Pro​
- solid construction​
- no battery or electronics to fail​
- key switch allowing to lock out the pin code for zero access​
- hinged presentation of pistol is not a con, i like the idea of it angled, but I feel the Vaultek is a bit better as how it presents.​
Con​
- No mounting holes. Needs holes drilled for mounting.​
- price. While its not crazy expensive, it is more expensive than the vaultek.​
Anyone else have any insight into the two models? I'm leaning towards the Vaultek, but I've read a lot of good things on the FAS-1. And while the vaultek is electronic it doesn't worry me much. I do not want the wifi or Bluetooth variant. I've read a number of issues with the bluetooth variant and I don't need to be connected to the safe. If I'm hope I know whats happening with it, and if im not home it will be locked up in the main safe or on me. So I don't need to know.

Vaultek for sure!
Comes with a mounting bracket, you can also buy extra mounts so that you can use it in multiple locations. I like the way it slides out to present the firearm & spare mag. This presentation is great for under a desk or counter. Theres no need to buy their required holster. They also offer some nice accessories including a couple of different car mounts, a larger capacity battery & the best one, the "Smart Key Nano" which allows instant access. All around a nice "quick access" pistol safe!

The FAS1, At approx 25lbs just seems like a heavy steel box to lock a pistol in. There is no mount of any kind which in one video they claimed to be a "nice feature", really?? You need to buy thier holsters separately & the extra mag storage is pretty much just throw it in the bottom. At $300+ I would at the least expect some sort of mounting bracket!

After buying my safe I had to rethink the quick access part. I'm sure there is no way waking up in the middle of the night I could see the buttons being blurry eyed. Finger print identification is hit and miss as mine are pretty much worn. Our only hope would be the dogs to delay them but I'm not counting on that as they are Boxers and will play with anyone. So I would say to you consider these things.

yea, I really like the idea of the Vaultek as well. I was kind of hoping someone was going to come in and really sell me on the FAS-1. Its a smaller company and I like supporting the smaller business if i had a choice.

I think the Vaultek is what I'm going to do. I just can't justify the FAS-1.

Some other points to consider about the FAS-1.

1. easy enough to drill it and have the mounting holes anywhere you want.
2. The key not only locks out the keypad, it also opens the safe. Already proved useful considering i mistyped the code setting it, this allowed me to open it and reset it.
3. If you worry about quick access, you can always put the key in at night, and if something goes bump in the night, just turn it and it opens. I plan on keeping the key in my main keychain and just housing it in the keyslot at night.

Im happy with it, built like a tank.

@nightpoison

Thanks for considering a FAS1 safe. I hope you don't mind me participating in your thread. I would be glad to answer any questions you have. One of the things mentioned above isn't accurate. All the safes come with a holster except the MAX series. It's not bought separately. You just have to choose the style holster you want and that will dictate what safes to consider.

Also, while it's an inconvenience to have to drill holes, I would imagine that you are going to drill holes to what you mount it to and it's really no different, just thick steel. By being able to drill holes exactly where you need them truly makes the mounting options unlimited. A mounting bracket, especially a strong one would just add unnecessary cost. It's already expensive to build my safes with the steel and components I use.

In addition, someone mentioned not being able to see the buttons with blurry eyes, but the Simplex lock is designed to be used by feel. A little practice and it's very easy without even looking. Also, with a Simplex lock you can pre-punch all or part of the code when you go to bed so that you only need to push say one button and turn the knob for access. I have heard some people do this, but you need to be consistent if you do.

Depending on the size of your gun, the Compact model opens more than the other at 90° vs 65° for the rest.

When I decided to build handgun safes 11 years ago I wanted something that when bolted down would also be as secure as possible from theft since I planned on keeping a home defense gun in mine all the time. 7GA steel helps with that.

When comparing any Simplex lock safe vs electronic, you can buy a replacement Simplex lock if you ever wear one out. In 10+ years I have never filed a warranty on a lock. I have sold a couple when someone (without the key option) forgot their combo and had to drill the lock and replace it. All the electronic safes are throw-aways since you can't get any replacement parts.

@Eugenio.FV

Thanks for being my customer!

Hello @FAS1,

Wasn't aware you guys were on here. Thank you for the insight. I appreciate you taking time to address some of my concerns.

Holster -> I was aware of that.

drilling -> while drilling into the safe would be similar to drilling into the surface I'll be mounting it to, my concern is more the powder coating and the overall need to do so. While I completely understand your reasoning, I personal don't like the idea of having to drill into a brand new product to make it usable. Add to the thought that the powder coating could be damaged if not done right. It just seems if I'm spending this amount of money there would be a pre-drilled points for attachment.

A big selling point of the FAS1 is the fact that its non-electronic, the simplex lock is huge selling point for me. I like the idea that I could enter the partial combination and only need to enter the last one or two to open it. I also really like the key controls for the safe. Disable the lock or open it. Its a great feature.

I'm still debating.

@nightpoison

Thanks for considering a FAS1 safe. I hope you don't mind me participating in your thread. I would be glad to answer any questions you have. One of the things mentioned above isn't accurate. All the safes come with a holster except the MAX series. It's not bought separately. You just have to choose the style holster you want and that will dictate what safes to consider.

When comparing any Simplex lock safe vs electronic, you can buy a replacement Simplex lock if you ever wear one out. In 10+ years I have never filed a warranty on a lock. I have sold a couple when someone (without the key option) forgot their combo and had to drill the lock and replace it. All the electronic safes are throw-aways since you can't get any replacement parts.

@Eugenio.FV

Thanks for being my customer!

Regarding the Simplex lock, they are great and easy to open in the dark. I would NEVER trust an electronic lock or a battery. I have a Fort Knox with the Simplex lock like the FAS1. You can even program it to hit two buttons at once as part of your combo. That way you can keep it relatively simple and quick. I am way less concerned about anyone figuring out the combo than having it fast and easy to open. I got mine 10+ years ago. Today FAS1 would be a top choice.

drilling -> while drilling into the safe would be similar to drilling into the surface I'll be mounting it to, my concern is more the powder coating and the overall need to do so. While I completely understand your reasoning, I personal don't like the idea of having to drill into a brand new product to make it usable. Add to the thought that the powder coating could be damaged if not done right. It just seems if I'm spending this amount of money there would be a pre-drilled points for attachment.

I certainly understand. A few customers over the years have expressed the same concern. All it takes is to center punch the spots to drill, drill with an 1/8" bit for a pilot hole and then drill to the size you need. I have on occasion drilled safes for customers that tell me where they want the holes. A mounting bracket would ad probably $30-$40 to the price and I just don't think people would buy enough of them to justify making them. Far more customers give me positive feedback that they were able to drill holes exactly where they wanted for their application.

Anyway, I just wanted you to have accurate information. The good thing today is there are plenty of options to find the handgun safe that's right for you.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom