Handgun Shipping - To out of state C&R

Pardon me if I’m not in the right section, but my head is spinning and I’m not 100% certain on if I’m allowed to do this or not.

I’m selling a handgun on Gunbroker, and it’s named on the C&R list maintained by the ATF. I’ve been asked by two C&R license holders if I can ship directly to them. From what I can tell the answer is maybe, possibly, but only through UPS and/or FedEx. Does anyone have any experience doing this, and can shine any light on what I can do?

Thanks.

According to the ATF no. Handguns must go through FEDEX or UPS ("a contracted carrier")

The ATF citations are : [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31] Feel free to look them up. I am assuming that you are an FFL003 holder yourself??? Not that it matters for shipping.... lol

Anyone can ship to a C&R FFL, just get a signed copy of said FFL. You can only ship thru UPS/FedEx (via a depot only, NOT retail stores) and you can use 2nd Day Air. That said, a Dealer can ship it USPO (illegal for anyone but Dealer/Mfr) a lot cheaper, so that might be a cheaper/easier option.

Thank you for clearing that up. I asked a local dealer/gun store if they’d ship to a C&R but they refused. I have another I was planning on asking. Strange to me that they’d refuse, but I wasn’t going to push the issue.
Anyone can ship to a C&R FFL, just get a signed copy of said FFL. You can only ship thru UPS/FedEx (via a depot only, NOT retail stores) and you can use 2nd Day Air. That said, a Dealer can ship it USPO (illegal for anyone but Dealer/Mfr) a lot cheaper, so that might be a cheaper/easier option.

@_brakingbrad What Len said. Hopefully you said buyer pays shipping because it ain't cheap to ship a handgun. I would use the UPS Simple Rate next day or two day air service. You'll probably do better than regular UPS 2day/overnight.

Interesting. So USC 922(a) allows me to sell a C&R pistol without needing an FFL involved???? And I can sell a pistol to an out of state resident Without both ends of the transaction being licensed individuals?? News to me.

Interesting. So USC 922(a) allows me to sell a C&R pistol without needing an FFL involved???? And I can sell a pistol to an out of state resident Without both ends of the transaction being licensed individuals?? News to me.
The C&R license is itself an FFL. Not valid for all purposes, but this is pretty much exactly what it's for.

Any person, licensed or not (FFL not LTC), can ship a long gun, shotgun or handgun to an out of state person who posesses an FFL01 or 03 for C&R eligible guns. And the C&R gun does NOT have to be listed in the ATF's list either, it just needs to be 50 years old or more which means right now it had to have been made in 1971 or before. Some 01s will only accept shipments from other 01s so that is when you would need to use a local dealer.

Any person, licensed or not (FFL not LTC), can ship a long gun, shotgun or handgun to an out of state person who posesses an FFL01 or 03 for C&R eligible guns. And the C&R gun does NOT have to be listed in the ATF's list either, it just needs to be 50 years old or more which means right now it had to have been made in 1971 or before. Some 01s will only accept shipments from other 01s so that is when you would need to use a local dealer.
Good to know. Thanks.

Any extra magazine,or ammo for sale? You might want to check places like California you might not be able to send direct to a C&R.
Good point. I should have mentioned . . .

You can't ship a C&R gun to anyone in CA or C&R handgun to anyone in NY due to state laws. It pays to check state laws on this, as there may be other states as well with state restrictions.

Good point. I should have mentioned . . .

You can't ship a C&R gun to anyone in CA or C&R handgun to anyone in NY due to state laws. It pays to check state laws on this, as there may be other states as well with state restrictions.

NY too? Did not know that one!

You have all the certifications listed in your sig block, and you're just now finding out that an individual doesn't have to be licensed to ship a firearm to an FFL? Well, then, here's one that will blow your mind. Absent some specific state law, a non-licensee can ship to another non-licensee (plain, old, regular guys) in the same state. No FFL involvement required.

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

People make that a lot harder than it needs to be.

You have all the certifications listed in your sig block, and you're just now finding out that an individual doesn't have to be licensed to ship a firearm to an FFL? Well, then, here's one that will blow your mind. Absent some specific state law, a non-licensee can ship to another non-licensee (plain, old, regular guys) in the same state. No FFL involvement required.

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."

Definitely not in MA lol

Any extra magazine,or ammo for sale? You might want to check places like California you might not be able to send direct to a C&R.
Unfortunately no ammo, and only one magazine.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I think I have a path forward now. I do want to try and ask around at some other FFLs in my area to see if they'd be willing to ship for me. And like an idiot I didn't mark the auction buyer pays shipping 🙃. Oh well, live and you learn right?

Thanks for posting the law.

Back
Top Bottom