Handguns/Safes and Ammo

It doesn't matter who owns the building/property. If a Fed agency leases a property, it is off-limits and illegal. Where I lived in MA, the USPO was leased property, I was friends with the Postmaster who shared that info with me, and thus Fed property for the purposes of convicting someone possessing a gun on that property. In NH, the local USPO is a leased storefront in a shopping mall and therefore the parking lot is OK to possess a gun and only the USPO storefront is illegal.
I had my "facts" wrong when I stated I worked for a Gov/Fed agency, I apologize. The place I work AT is owned and operated by a PRIVATE company.

The products they deal with are potentially more than that. I don't know how much/if that changes the terms but that what I've got to work with.

Christ. I'm "just" a truck driver.. maybe I should be looking elsewhere..

The difference is that away from work,
you don't get fired by some hoplophobe manager
until they somehow hear you were found not violating any laws
while legally in possession of gunz.

If you're at work,
even if you're totally legal they frog-march you directly to management
and you're fired immediately without even being able to empty out your desk.

[thumbsup]

⬆️ This.

Quit finger-<bleeping> your gun.

From your perspective, it's just as illegal to get caught with a gun on school grounds.
If caught, you'll be convicted and one of the outcome's the same -
lifetime nation-wide ban on gun ownership/use as a Prohibited Person.

Internalize this screed and this screed,
and you will begin to understand how much
you don't want to flounce around in a statutory gun-free zone.
  • No unloading the gun.
  • No storing the gun.
  • No visible hints that a gun exists.

• No getting seen asking "can I get me some clarity on how close I can skate to the edge of personnel gun policies?" at work.
    • That includes workplace server logs that show your account searching about gun policies, or accessing gun policy documents.

Cops don't need to know the law.

If they want to arrest you, you're getting arrested no matter what the law says.

You need to worry about what the criminal court thinks.

And yes, a gun with boolits inside it is "loaded".

I think in at least one jurisdiction someone has been jacked up
for Having A Loaded Gun when the boolits are next to it
and only reversed their criminal conviction on appeal.
But I can't find the story right now...
I completely agree with what your saying.. Which is why I only Finger F*** my gun at home 🤣, I don't go around parading my guns or LTC to anyone who doesn't "need to know," or do/present anything to show otherwise. I keep it as hidden at to myself as possible.

I work with/see a bunch guys from NH that flaunt their guns (not on their person) more than they can perform their jobs. It's ridiculous.

Some firearm/weapon laws really bother me worse than others. Ask school teachers, truck drivers (like myself), and many others... I guess I'll just leave it at that.

I had my "facts" wrong when I stated I worked for a Gov/Fed agency, I apologize. The place I work AT is owned and operated by a PRIVATE company.
You should check every week -
you never know when this bunch will "nationalize" something.
[angry]

I phrased it that way, as the OP said that they cleared the chamber, and traveled with a mag inserted. (post 22)
Well, at least OP exhibited a bad feeling about it.

Well, at least OP exhibited a bad feeling about it.
I phrased it that way, as the OP said that they cleared the chamber, and traveled with a mag inserted. (post 22)
Yes, that's how I CARRY it to/from work. When it goes in the safe the mag is removed.

The legality of storing it in my vehicle at my place of work is still questionable. Again, I would think the offense would be fireable at most all employers.

Yes, that's how I CARRY it to/from work. When it goes in the safe the mag is removed.
Unsure whether you mean a gun safe at home or a lock-box in a vehicle.
(This may well be obvious from what appears earlier,
but I'm not gonna re-read the whole thread).

But to be serious(er):
  • You don't want to have a loaded gun which is not under your direct control in a vehicle.
    • This is true whether the vehicle is moving or stationary.
    • This is true whether the vehicle is occupied or unoccupied.
      • Cops and courts consider guns in cars to be either "stored" or "transported", and "in lunging distance" or "out of direct control" or "accessible to unlicensed occupants" depending on whatever causes you the most trouble - regardless of the actual facts and the plain English of the law.
  • You don't want to manipulate carry guns when putting them into and out of storage.
    • (Like we said), that's how a lot of negligent discharges happen.
    • In the case of semi-autos which are carried with a round chambered, in any ammo with non-heeled bullets, repeated rechambering will lead to bullet setback, which can result in kabooms.
      • Some people carry in a manner where they store the entire gun-in-holster in the safe.

Storing a loaded handgun in a MV is a gray area and most LEOs will arrest and prosecute. Your chance of walking on the charge is 50/50 at best and probably a lot worse in a hell-hole like MA with a marsupial court system.
I reckon your chances of being in that situation to begin with go down drastically if you don't talk to the police.

Storing a loaded handgun in a MV is a gray area and most LEOs will arrest and prosecute. Your chance of walking on the charge is 50/50 at best and probably a lot worse in a hell-hole like MA with a marsupial court system.
During a mere traffic stop,
as long as they're not inventorying the car for a tow,
or tossing the whole passenger compartment or car
because of externally visible contraband,
they have to find the gun safe before they can prosecute for any contents.

A locked case hidden under a scrap of carpet
in a locked trunk whose remote lever(s) are keylocked
is the Gold Standard.

If a locked case can be detected by someone tossing the passenger compartment -
even including someone who pulls the remote trunk release
sddefault.jpg

or pulls down an unlocked rear passenger seat to access the
ski pass-through hatch -
attachment.php

they'll demand to look inside "for officer safety"
even if it exceeds the bounds of a Terry Frisk.

All those locks on late-model cars that are designed to keep
parking valets from rummaging through your trunk
also serve to protect your fourth amendment rights
against non-consensual non-exigent searches.

Bonus points for remote-locking the passenger compartment
when exiting and pocketing the key. That's Nature's Way of
not "implicitly consenting" to a search.

Back
Top Bottom