Handloading .22 for precision

Last edited:
There were a couple of old shooters at either Avon or Pembroke or Sharon (back in 2008) that used to pull rounds apart , re-weigh and re-charge 22 LR for 3 position matches.
Going back to the 80s The “old timers” shooting 22lr 3p and 100 yard prone match said alot of the accuracy from 22lr comes from consistent priming compound, consistent rim thickness and head space.
Im sure they would have liked custom bullets too.
Theres something to be said about the bullet designs of one of the oldest cartridges still in use today.
I would think if Ely thought solid copper bullets where all that they would have them already

Cool to see a set up available though

I think the v22 would be my limit on cost for a 22lr
Iv been eyeballing older Anchutz 54/1903 and such. Old school wood models.

My brother has two Anschutz 22 rifles. I have a couple 10/22's and fairly cheap bolt action .22s. When I came down to GA, I brought his with me so that I could ship it to a gunsmith in Arizona for him. 6 or 8 months later, he shipped it back. Then my brother visited and we took all of them to the range. Interesting shooting it, it's a much more precise firearm than any I own.

My brother went home, and I shipped the rifles back to him. Which is a whole 'nother story because he lives in the UK and we had to prove provenance and legality of them to UK customs and other officials. You think Mass paperwork sucks? Try to ship a firearm into the UK.

Reloading 22lr? Sounds like a Millionaire Expert trying to prove a point. They're never going to win the match anyways, so this is their game.
How many smallbore National Champions or Olympic shooters have their ammo handloaded? None.

I guess it's an interesting mental exercise for smallbore "long range", but anybody even thinking they should try this for indoor matches needs their head examined.

My brother has two Anschutz 22 rifles. I have a couple 10/22's and fairly cheap bolt action .22s. When I came down to GA, I brought his with me so that I could ship it to a gunsmith in Arizona for him. 6 or 8 months later, he shipped it back. Then my brother visited and we took all of them to the range. Interesting shooting it, it's a much more precise firearm than any I own.

My brother went home, and I shipped the rifles back to him. Which is a whole 'nother story because he lives in the UK and we had to prove provenance and legality of them to UK customs and other officials. You think Mass paperwork sucks? Try to ship a firearm into the UK.
When I first started shooting 1980 at the gun club Jr program there where many “older” shooters shooting 100 yd prone with 22s , all iron sights like Redfields and old school lyman , with front globe . Mostly old rem 40x , 5xx series , Win 52 and anny’s as they called them. Club had a few 40s and 52 for the “top “ shooters to use . I usually shot the a 513.
Jr program we shot what ever club could find in bulk to buy.
The kids who actually competed often where given “better” ammo .
I never joined “the team” as I was racing MX by then

Try this for accuracy in Rimfire.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/p...ls-and-gauges/lock-n-load-rim-thickness-gauge

Reloading 22lr? Sounds like a Millionaire Expert trying to prove a point. They're never going to win the match anyways, so this is their game.
How many smallbore National Champions or Olympic shooters have their ammo handloaded? None.

I guess it's an interesting mental exercise for smallbore "long range", but anybody even thinking they should try this for indoor matches needs their head examined.
We had a few “olympic” hopefuls through out the years.
Name escapes me now but girl from rockland MA did well several years ago. She like many went to eley and did the testing and came home with a shit ton of the same lot.
When I was a teenager one of the better kids on the Jr team went to eley to test his guns . They bought aprox 300,000 rnds, 50 cases or so. I remember the dad bitching because he broke a leaf spring on his old F100 . My dad was surprised it did not fo through the bed as it was very rotted.
A few years later dad was selling it off as the kid lost interest.

I think the term "Reloading" is a misnomer in this case. The review was for a company that sells the cases (pre-primed) as well as projectiles (200 per kit). So the article should have been labeled as "Handloading" instead of re-loading.

I think the term "Reloading" is a misnomer in this case. The review was for a company that sells the cases (pre-primed) as well as projectiles (200 per kit). So the article should have been labeled as "Handloading" instead of re-loading.

Yeah, they covered that in the link I posted, which is why the thread's titled:

1639661122591.png

Handloading, reloading; whatever. The concept is that you can make better 22lr ammo than you can buy. I don't buy it.
Or rather, I'll let somebody else go through the time and expense of attempting it, then they'll need to prove it to me on target.

We had a few “olympic” hopefuls through out the years.
Name escapes me now but girl from rockland MA did well several years ago. She like many went to eley and did the testing and came home with a shit ton of the same lot.
When I was a teenager one of the better kids on the Jr team went to eley to test his guns . They bought aprox 300,000 rnds, 50 cases or so. I remember the dad bitching because he broke a leaf spring on his old F100 . My dad was surprised it did not fo through the bed as it was very rotted.
A few years later dad was selling it off as the kid lost interest.
Think of how much that 300,000 rds would cost today. assuming it was Eley 10X or similar, it'd be over $100K.
I know a couple of local kids who showed promise and got good coaching. They shoot for some college team now on full-ride scholarships (I forget if it's Ohio State, Bowling Green, or whatever). Their parents spared no expense with rifles, coats, travel, and especially ammo. I asked them if it hurt to spend $6K on a rifle, $10K in ammo, etc. Their response was "It'd hurt a lot more to spend $20K per year for 4 years of college".

holy f-ng shit, a $20k was much for them. how do you like a $80k per year now?
Or whatever the number was. I was shell-shocked at the number they threw out for getting their kids outfitted to earn the scholarship.

Of course, me being a wise-ass, I told them "you know, if they are good enough for a full-ride scholarship at college, they are probably good enough to have the Army Marksmanship Unit to take a look at them. And you don't pay the Army; the Army pays you".

the application of reloaded 22 is not for smallbore national champions or olympic shooters. Its purely intended to push the long range applications. I run my 22 to 600, I have friends that run em to 1100+ now. The new ammunition maintained or dropped the projectile weight slightly but improved BC and this has translated into more consistent impacts at distance.

the application of reloaded 22 is not for smallbore national champions or olympic shooters. Its purely intended to push the long range applications. I run my 22 to 600, I have friends that run em to 1100+ now. The new ammunition maintained or dropped the projectile weight slightly but improved BC and this has translated into more consistent impacts at distance.
What's your accuracy at 600 yards in moa? 1100 yards?

With 22lr? I know guys are tossing 22lr out to 600 ysrds but not at 4” targets.
Sorry miss read that 4’ plate at 1000 yards…. Better to hit than 4” lol

Whats the come up from 100 yard zero to 1000 yards ? 300moa?
roughly 2.5 MOA @ 600. I know at 1100 Aj was shooting at a 4' square plate.

Last edited:
You know I thought I had some 1000 yard 22lr somewhere
image.jpg

Busting balls, lol
I run my 22lr at 100-200 yards and I know that there are others going longer.
Have fun

Back
Top Bottom