Happy Birthday Marines!

So the inside scoop on those official portraits is, the uniform the Marine is wearing is a photographers mockup, not a real uniform. And even if the Marine smiles, they photoshop the facial expression to "stern".

Hearsay. The Marine could have been funning me.

For my boot camp "official" photo the dress blue tunic was cut in the back and secured with Velcro.
This was so we could get in and out of them easily for the photo.
The drill instructors ensured we moved quickly!
We wore our everyday camouflage trousers as the portrait was just a head shot.
We'd march in, take off the cammie blouse, put on the dress blue mock up and cover, <click>, take off the mock up, put the cammie blouse back on and march out.
IIRC, there were several of each size of dress blue blouse, so there were probably several of dressed up at one time waiting to get our picture taken.
The DIs were also there to make sure no one smiled for their photo.
During my time at boot camp ('87), the only recruit to graduate with his own dress blue uniform was the platoon honor man.

For my boot camp "official" photo the dress blue tunic was cut in the back and secured with Velcro.
This was so we could get in and out of them easily for the photo.
The drill instructors ensured we moved quickly!
We wore our everyday camouflage trousers as the portrait was just a head shot.
We'd march in, take off the cammie blouse, put on the dress blue mock up and cover, <click>, take off the mock up, put the cammie blouse back on and march out.
IIRC, there were several of each size of dress blue blouse, so there were probably several of dressed up at one time waiting to get our picture taken.
The DIs were also there to make sure no one smiled for their photo.
During my time at boot camp ('87), the only recruit to graduate with his own dress blue uniform was the platoon honor man.

exactly how it was in 2012...25 years later!

Back
Top Bottom