Hartford, CT Appleseed Shoot 4/18-19, 2009

Range: Hartford Gun Club

Address: 157 South Main St, East Granby, CT 06026

When: April 18-19, 2009

Range Fee: $10 per shooter per day

Camping available: We can pitch tents on the rifle range. Ten RV/Electric hookups are also available at $10 per night. There is a clubhouse with restroom and sink.

Hotels: Many hotels to choose from near Bradley Intl Airport (Windsor Locks, CT) (~2 miles away)
Holiday Inn, Best Western, Candlewood Suites, Crowne Plaza, Staybridge Suites, LaQuinta Inn, Days Inn, Sheraton, Ramada. (avoid Motel 6!)

Directions:
* Take I-91 to Exit 40 (Bradley International Airport).
* Take the 4th exit off the connector onto CT Route 20.
* Turn left at the fifth light onto CT Route 187 (South Main Street).
* Proceed 1.3 miles and turn left onto the club grounds. (Watch for Neon Green Appleseed Signs!)

GPS: Latitude 41.925094, Longitude -72.735130
Coordinates 41.925094, -72.735130, N41°55.50564, W072°44.1078

State Laws to be aware of: State Assault Weapons Ban that is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE STRICT than the now expired Federal AWB. For example, Colt and all 7.62x39 AK47 type rifles are banned by name, and there is no such thing as "pre ban" when it comes to rifles banned by features. Folks, please be careful with this. There is no magazine capacity limit. Check State Laws.

Misc: 25m only. Rimfire and centerfire rifles are allowed. Get your spot quickly. We only have room for 30.

For More Information Contact: Nickle, Crak or Dwarven1, or [email protected]

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/300773622

I'm talking with my friends about sending them to this one instead of Harvard (a family of 4!)... Its unfortunately twice the drive for them (1 1/2 hrs as opposed to 40minutes) and I won't be able to go with them as I'm slated to work Harvard, but they are kind of stuck because they can't afford to build 4 new LTRs right now.

Ninsho - remember the 14 year old kid who came to Athol with his father? They drove THREE HOURS each way to get there. AND he went home a Rifleman.

Tell your friends that they'd be WALKING that hour and a half to get to Concord if they were alive in 1775.

Ninsho - remember the 14 year old kid who came to Athol with his father? They drove THREE HOURS each way to get there. AND he went home a Rifleman.

Tell your friends that they'd be WALKING that hour and a half to get to Concord if they were alive in 1775.

You know thats an easy sell to someone like you or I. So far he hasn't made the decision to go down there, he registered his family for Harvard, and we're doing our best to see what we can scrounge up for him. If luck is bad I'll see if we can get him shifted over to Hartford. I think one of the biggest issues is the complications of firearms laws, and the difficulty in bringing one or two of his own rifles. One way or another they'll be on the firing line come April.

If luck is bad I'll see if we can get him shifted over to Hartford.

IF we can won't be an issue. We can switch them over anytime, even on short notice.

If we go the route of switching them, when the time comes, I can make that happen for you. So, all you have to do is keep me posted, and we'll handle it.

Registration starts officially at 8:30 AM, but plan on being there early.

How late depends on the Shoot Boss and the shooters, but roughly speaking, 5:00. Saturday will likely run a touch later than Sunday, as we know people have to travel quite a ways home, including our Instructors.

The Shoot Boss (kDan) is coming up from New York City, I'll be down from Vermont, and SeanO will be down from Maine. A good time to actually meet some of RWVA's own "Dangerous Old Men" (Sean and myself, kDan is a little younger than us).

Hey folks,

Finally got my butt on this very popular forum. A lot of my fellow Appleseeders have been talking about NES long as I can remember. I appreciate the work you guys have done and the fact that so many NES folks have stepped up for Appleseed.

I'll be the shoot boss at this event. I look forward to working again with Nickle. Not many people know more about rifles and how to shoot them than this guy.

This range is beautiful, the area stocked with amenities, and we'll have a great presentation on the events of this pivotal date in the history and making of our nation.

April 19, 1775 - Lexington and Concord - Appleseed - Marksmanship and Heritage. Come out to the shoot folks. Come out and support your rights and enjoy a week-end of camaraderie and some hot dogs.

kDan and I work together a fair amount, and folks, he's one of RWVA's best Instructors. He's just one step short of being a Master Instructor, and as I said, he's good, real good.

thanks, D! Good to be here. Ninsho, I'm sure we'll run into each other some time.

Also, just to let it be known, we will be firing on the 200 yard Rifle range in Hartford so we could incorporate a longer range element. Check Battle Sight Zero on the 30 cals, and go over some MOA points.

I'll be going to the W. Springfield gun show tomorrow with an arm full of fliers. High - time to get this thing promo'd... Only a month away! Also, I'm stopping by the range to talk to Tom and go over the line and stuff. I hope some NE folks can peel off the turnpike and head down our way. I'll be doing some promo in southern new york as well. The line can hold up to say 30 shooters.

Excellent Tackleberry. Are you coming alone?

I'll be bringing some friends from VT and NY. New shooters mostly, and they'll be borrowing rifles for the weekend.

Tomorrow, I'll be in the Hartford area. Anybody know any good places to stop off and deposit flyers around there?

I'm signed up too, and trying to convince a friend to come along. He doesn't have a suitable rifle, but I told him I was nearly positive he could arrange a loaner. True statement? Unfortunately, I don't have anything to loan him that he can afford 400 rounds for.

I'm signed up too, and trying to convince a friend to come along. He doesn't have a suitable rifle, but I told him I was nearly positive he could arrange a loaner. True statement? Unfortunately, I don't have anything to loan him that he can afford 400 rounds for.

DSM,

Unfortunately, all my loaners will be just that, but your friend can pick up a 10/22 for around $200 new. That's less than the cost of center-fire ammo and he'll still have it when the event is over. Plus, he'll know how to shoot it. I saw a scoped one for $185 at the big E yesterday.

If, when we get closer to go time, your friend still doesn't have a rifle, you can pm me and I'll see what I can do. I think just about every semi-auto .22 in the north-east is gonna be in somebody's hands this week-end.

Appleseed.

We still need to bump the numbers on this one. Come on Connecticut! Down-state NY! Rhode Island!

From the theme song to "Smoky and the Bandit" - "We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there." Jim Reeves, I think... Snowman.

Last edited:
You can try Cabelas in Hartford, and K-5 Arms in Milford on the Post Road, if you want to e-mail me the flyer I will be stopping at K-5 tonight on my way home I can print some up and drop them off there. I know the owner, so I can ask him myself. I will pm you my e-mail address

From the theme song to "Smoky and the Bandit" - "We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there." Jim Reeves, I think... Snowman.
Jerry Reed. RIP.

if you want to e-mail me the flyer I will be stopping at K-5 tonight on my way home I can print some up and drop them off there. I know the owner, so I can ask him myself. I will pm you my e-mail address

Flyer in PDF format attached. Thank you for your help in this!

Attachments

• Hartford CT April 2009.pdf
    40.2 KB · Views: 7
I am trying to recruit a friend for this, and free up my schedule as well. Only issue is that I'll have to go out & buy a .22! Good excuse to, I guess.

Well, you really should get yourself one, to train with (plus, they're fun).

But, if you don't, I would be surprised if there wasn't a loaner or two there, even if I don't end up there.

I think I might even have to buy another loaner or two. I've got at least three friends coming along and I think they're going to find a couple more. I should have picked up the scoped 10/22 I saw at Big E for $185 but I was too busy talking up the shoot and it was the end of the day. It was an older model too, a carbine, but sturdy.

Dwarven1 started a good thread using Nickle's Appleseed LTR post. A great fun and cheap way to work on the fundamentals at 25m. I know a lot of folks have already seem this but for those who haven't...

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35390

Well, you really should get yourself one, to train with (plus, they're fun).

But, if you don't, I would be surprised if there wasn't a loaner or two there, even if I don't end up there.

I want to pick one up anyways, just to have around. Good, cheap, clean fun. Preferably scoped, bolt action but mag'd (no single shot bolt action). Anyone know of any for sale locally in CT?

Some of the NY Instructor team has Savage bolt actions with scopes.

Great rifles, great value and they work.

One of the youngest Instructors (currently an IIT) is a lefty and uses a bolt gun.

Anybody that has seen him shoot knows that is just a pure joy to watch.

Those guys can get 10 rounds, down range into or touching a 1" square (at 25 meters, so, this is 4 MOA) in just 15-16 seconds. WITH BOLT GUNS!!!!!!

I'm a Master Instructor with the program, and I own (and love) my Remington 513-T.

Some of our other MI's are bolt gun fans.

So, don't sell a bolt gun short, especially for Appleseed.

I qualified as Rifleman with one bolty and earned the "k" in my name with another one.

Something about working that action too, when you get it - it's like swimming.

and that sound, "chicklack"

Same time I have nothing bad to say about the 10/22 as a training rifle. I have two and hope for at least 8 by fall. Trigger control. The rhythm is more subtle, and pardon the term, but deadly - to the time monkey that is.

Back
Top Bottom