Harvard Appleseed June 29-30

Finally signed up for my first Appleseed at the end of the month. Wondering if anyone from NES is planning on going. I think I'm pretty squared away with my LTR, although I'm tempted to bring my SKS along too. If anyone has some first time tips they'd be greatly appreciated!

Just signed up for it as well, using my M&P 15-22 :) I have the ammo, ordered a sling, pondering a scope, but may just use irons

newb question.
wtf is an appleseed?
i've seen them mentioned quite a lot, just never asked.
I nuderstand it's a shooting event, but what exactly does it consist of?

From the FAQ at http://appleseedinfo.org

Appleseed is a program that instructs Americans on the traditional rifle marksmanship skills that have been passed down from generation to generation, along with reconnecting today's Americans with the people and events of the Founding era. Participants are taught fundamental rifle marksmanship skills that are to allow a Rifleman to be accurate out to 500 yards, with iron sights, standard rifle and surplus ammo. This is the traditional 'Rifleman's Quarter mile', which is an uniquely American Rifleman skill, that has been part of this nation from the very first days.

Most of the instruction at an Appleseed is conducted at 25 meters, at reduced size targets to simulate 100 to 500 yards. This well proven technique allows us to concentrate on the shooter's mechanics and less time walking a range. At those locations that allow for actual distance shooting, participants are often able to see first hand that the skills that they learn at 25 meters directly apply to actual distances out to 500 yards. These foundational skills are not being passed on to future generations, and so Appleseeds are great for new or experienced shooters alike.

I might attend. Did one in April and May and loved it. Shot my Ruger 10/22 on Saturday and my AR on Sunday. Will probably shoot the Ruger both days this time.

Highly recommend this to every American

Finally signed up for my first Appleseed at the end of the month. Wondering if anyone from NES is planning on going. I think I'm pretty squared away with my LTR, although I'm tempted to bring my SKS along too. If anyone has some first time tips they'd be greatly appreciated!
I may try and go Sunday. Saturday is more instruction with shooting, Sunday is more shooting, with support on technique.

Appleseed - How to Prepare for an Event

I would say definetly bring a tarp, water, bug spray. The list they have should cover you. They did feed us at Harvard.
SKS would be fun for day 2. Do day one with a .22lr. Question for you, as I am unfamiliar with SKS. How fast can you reload yours with the 10 round stripper clips? Read below about the course of fire.

Just signed up for it as well, using my M&P 15-22 :) I have the ammo, ordered a sling, pondering a scope, but may just use irons
Do it with irons. I have a real nice acog and didn't bring it. I shot the course with iron sights. Now when I use the acog it is so much easier. This course is about fundamentals. They will allow the scope though. I shot the first day with a 15-22, and the second day with a 5.56 AR. You will definetly want(NEED) 4 magazines. PM me if you have less and I will loan you a couple for the weekend.
They run the course very quickly, and the AQT is done in 4 stages, timed, with 10 rounds each, and you need to be clear for each position change (three positions).

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a really good time.
Thanks for the link.

Took it last April. Right next to docorbossman. Highly recommended. If you are new especially. You go through a lot of ammo, but now your shots count.

And bring the SKS. We work with you on ANY rifle between .22 and 8mm.

I may try and go Sunday. Saturday is more instruction with shooting, Sunday is more shooting, with support on technique.

I would say definetly bring a tarp, water, bug spray. The list they have should cover you. They did feed us at Harvard.
SKS would be fun for day 2. Do day one with a .22lr. Question for you, as I am unfamiliar with SKS. How fast can you reload yours with the 10 round stripper clips? Read below about the course of fire.

Do it with irons. I have a real nice acog and didn't bring it. I shot the course with iron sights. Now when I use the acog it is so much easier. This course is about fundamentals. They will allow the scope though. I shot the first day with a 15-22, and the second day with a 5.56 AR. You will definetly want(NEED) 4 magazines. PM me if you have less and I will loan you a couple for the weekend.
They run the course very quickly, and the AQT is done in 4 stages, timed, with 10 rounds each, and you need to be clear for each position change (three positions)..

Very good advice here. If you can SEE the 1" square at 25 yards, then by all means learn irons. If your eyesight is iffy (some of us DO get old...), then use the scope. My first several shoots were with iron sights. Just couldn't SEE that darn target to hit it. Once I started using a scope? Heh... what a difference!

Shooting an Appleseed with irons is like learning to drive with a stick shift; you can always use a scope if you learn on irons. If you learn on a scope, what do you do if the only rifle you can grab when the zombies rise is equipped with iron sights?

Thanks for the great feedback and looking forward to seeing some of you there!
I'll bring the SKS although I'm not very fast reloading with the stripper clips and I have some trouble picking up the iron sights through the scope mounts it came with (and the scope itself is junk) I've got about 1500 rounds of 22 lr and will try to find some more to bring in case anyone needs extra

Having attended a few Appleseeds, the ones at Harvard are well run, and you can learn as much about history as you can about shooting.

THE HSC crew is really something special.

Go if you can, it is well worth it. If you listen, you will be a better shooter by the end of a weekend, and a rifleman if you pay attention.

I couldn't find a start time for tomorrow on the Appleseed site. HSC says 9AM on their calendar. Do we need to be there earlier for registration?

Great first day and really looking forward to tomorrow!

Didn't get all the three hits per on the Red Coat, but went from zeros at the start of the day to at least two per target including the 400 yards.

I'm super jealous. We are a man down at work, so I couldn't get this weekend off. I am going to try to make the next on at HSC and earn my rifleman patch. Hope you guys are having fun and learning a lot. This is such a great program.

I agree---a great experience. Getting ready to head out for day 2. Amazing improvement in just one day. I went from 7/13 to 11/13 on the red coats! [cheers] Quite the crowded line. I used the AQT scoring app by chaynes68 on my sheets--my last one was 188. Getting there...

What a great weekend! Had fantastic 2 days of shooting got to meet noxin and tbk5. And congrats to tbk5 for getting his patch!
If you've never been to an Appleseed I can't recommend it enough. I think they said Leyden is in 2 weeks

Had a great weekend.
Lots of shooting and lots of instruction. The drills were really helpful at building solid fundamentals. And I think I'm finally understanding the benefits of Natural Point of Aim.
Thanks to all the instructors and it was good meeting other patriots.
Every American should shoot an Appleseed event.

Absolutely appropriate.
a young boy (younger than 16)was there Saturday with his parents. And a Family with 2 older kids (early teens maybe) were also there. I'm terrible at estimating ages.

Had a great weekend.
Lots of shooting and lots of instruction. The drills were really helpful at building solid fundamentals. And I think I'm finally understanding the benefits of Natural Point of Aim.
Thanks to all the instructors and it was good meeting other patriots.
Every American should shoot an Appleseed event.

You went again, did you get another patch? You are on your way to becoming an instructor!

Would you recommend this for a father/son weekend with a 16 year old? i was considering it.
Absolutely! I couldn't recommend it more.

I am going to try real hard to make it to the next one. I was sorry to miss this one.

Absolutely a great weekend. It is definitely a family friendly event. It was nice to meet fellow NESers. I learned allot and I am still grinning about having earned my patch on the last AQT. I plan to go again, with a different type of rifle, to continue to build the skills.

Back
Top Bottom