• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard MA Appleseed July 17-18, Aug 21-22

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Flyers: Available below

Range: Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Address: Littleton County Rd., Harvard, MA

When: July 17-18
Upcoming shoots:
August 21-22
October 23-24
December 11-12

Look for these dates in 2011
February 5-6
April 16-17

Range Fee: None

Camping available: not on site.

Hotels: Several on rt. 2 and 495. Check your favorite hotel website.

Directions: Take I-495 (in Massachusets) to Route 2 west. Immediately take exit 39. Turn left at the end of the ramp onto Taylor St. Take your first left onto Porter Rd. and follow it to the end. At the end of Porter Rd., turn left onto Whitcomb Ave. (Whitcomb Ave. becomes Littleton County Road). After 1.3 miles, look for a driveway on the left side (small sign, dirt road, easy to miss). If you reach Old Schoolhouse Hill Rd. or Cleaves Hill Rd., you've gone too far.

GPS: N42 30.919 W71 31.953

State Laws to be aware of: Your rifle must be locked unloaded in your trunk or other secured container. Handguns may be possessed ONLY with a Massachusetts Class A License To Carry with either "None" or "All Lawful Purposes" for Reason for Issuance. - if you're from out of state, you need a MA non-resident LTC. MA has NO reciprocity with any other state. No "assault weapons" - we still have an AWB that is the same thing as the old Federal AWB. ARs cannot have a flash hider, collapsible stock or a bayonet lug unless they are "pre-ban." High capacity magazines must be pre-ban as well. Non-residents CANNOT purchase ammo in this state. They have to bring it with them... or go to New Hampshire overnight. Check other State Laws.

Misc: What better place to be a Rifleman? A stone's throw from Lexington and Concord. See the re-enactments at dawn. Walk the Old North Bridge by sunset. Eat dinner across the street from Sam Whittemore's position.

We should have a lunch vendor there BOTH days (same one who was at Harvard shoot on Saturday, 4/17).

We shoot a lot. Bring 1000 rounds+ If you bring less, that's fine, just pace yourself over the weekend.

For More Information Contact: crak or Dwarven1 on the RWVA or Northeastshooters.com forums, or email [email protected] or [email protected]

Registration Link: July 17-18 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/640668256

Upcoming shoots:
Aug 21-22 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/640669259
Oct 23-24 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/640671265
Dec 11-12 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/640672268

Last edited by a moderator:
As will I.

Looks like the usual crew - Dwarven1, Luv2BFree, Crak, Lupis42, Mike93LX.

Ed, looks like you still need to send a PM to Instructor Scheduling on appleseedinfo.org, as I don't see your name down yet.

Eight shooters signed up already. If we fill one line, we've got two more in reserve that we can use. So come on, guys, let's see who's gonna come out and try for that coveted Rifleman patch. Time to get up off that couch and let the dents fill in. I've found a new take on the Second Strike that I think folks will like.

Last edited:
I'm going to sign up and have 3 other people that want to come as well. I may buy myself a rifle beforehand but will need to find rifles for the other 3. Anyone want to loan me a few?

Looking forward to a good time.

Djo, I can help you out with at least one (most likely two) and possibly more, but I won't know for sure until we get closer.

And my loaners are tentatively reserved, too - I'll know better closer to the shoot.

Djo, why not use this as a great opportunity to get yourself a new rifle? If your friends have their LTCs, it's a good chance for them, too. There's still plenty of time to get good sights and a sling on whatever you choose to purchase since we're still 6 weeks out.

I will be getting a rifle for myself, perfect excuse. The other folks are new shooters, so no LTC...yet.

In the northeast expect to shoot upwards of 7-800 rounds in a weekend. Caliber can be just about anything the club will allow and you can afford to shoot for 800+ rounds. At a minimum you should have 4 magazines (enough to prepare 40 rounds in magazines). You will be transitioning between Standing, Seated, and Prone, and will need to unload between each transition hence the recommendations for 4 mags (and not 1 40 round mag). If you have one bring a spare, you'll thank me if you have any malfunctions. Other than that make sure you seek out a sling before hand as all the instruction is geared towards shooting with a sling.

A more complete list of things to bring: http://appleseedinfo.org/pdf/what_to_bring_shoot.pdf

A lot more info in general: http://appleseedinfo.org/

Is the S&W15/22 a decent rifle for this, or should I plan on getting a 10/22?
I know extended mags for the 10/22 aren't recommended for the prone sections, but that's all they've got for my 15/22.

Is the S&W15/22 a decent rifle for this, or should I plan on getting a 10/22?
I know extended mags for the 10/22 aren't recommended for the prone sections, but that's all they've got for my 15/22.

I watched the M&P 15/22 run on an Appleseed line flawlessly. Troops go prone with 30 rounder AR mags all the time [wink].

I plan on attending this, just gotta sign up. I also am one of the proudest, newest members of HSC as I joined a few days ago! Just need to go tomorrow for the range safety meeting.

Since it sounds like we won't be shooting at anything other than the 100 yd range, that means that to obtain the rifleman patch we would be shooting at a smaller target?

Actually we're shooting at 25m at ~1 inch targets on the action pits. The 100 yard range isn't wide enough. At Jericho the week before this one (and a few weeks after) we're shooting out to 400 yards at least (probably more). We go out as far as the host ranges will let us.

Still plenty of room left; we're about a month out now. We have plenty of instructors so we can run multiple lines if needed.

I understand that a couple of guys were in Callaghan's this week looking for 10/22s for an upcoming Appleseed Shoot - I hope you guys are signed up already! Don't leave it to the last minute.

BTW, he's got several very inexpensive bolt action .22s if the budget won't support a 10/22. Plenty of time to get extra mags if needed.

Well, I am disappointed to report, I will not be able to make it. My ship is being sent down to the Gulf in response to the spill with no confirmed return date. I hope you guys have a great weekend, and give away lots of patches and hats.

I will finish reading Paul Revere's Ride while I am down there, and will be looking forward to the pictures and AAR's. I will be at the next event I am in port for to help out.

Ed

I will be attending the shoot at Harvard. I have a 10/22 that is near stock with a 9x Bushnell scope. First, can I use the scope or do most people use the stock sights?

ALso, i saw that it is recommended to have about 4 mags. I only have 1 10 rd mag and 2 pre-ban 30rd mags. are the 30 rd mags usable or do you recommend just going and getting a few standard mags?

In terms of a sling, is it necessary/super beneficial? WHat would you recommend. I dont want to break the bank and ideally I would rather not order from a custom sling guy that will hand craft something and get it to me in a month.

anything else I should know that isnt necessarily written down? are elbow pads/ or a shooters vest really that beneficial?

I will be attending the shoot at Harvard. I have a 10/22 that is near stock with a 9x Bushnell scope. First, can I use the scope or do most people use the stock sights?
Most people use Tech-Sights. Is that scope variable or is it only 9x? If it is 9x, you may to find that it's a bit too powerful for easy use. Basically it tempts you to "fuss" your shot - wait until your crosshairs are right on the center of the target NOW! Yank that trigger!... and you find out you missed anyway. If it's something like a 3x9, that's fine - just dial it down to 3x.

ALso, i saw that it is recommended to have about 4 mags. I only have 1 10 rd mag and 2 pre-ban 30rd mags. are the 30 rd mags usable or do you recommend just going and getting a few standard mags?

recommend getting at least 1 or two standard mags. The 30 round mags will stick out quite a bit and you will find out that they're pressing into your arm uncomfortably when you're shooting. you can use them if you want. One other thing to note is that if you use the high-caps, you'll have to count rounds on some of the stages and between the stages, you'll need to drop your mag, clear your rifle and then reinsert. The stages are 10 rounds apiece.

In terms of a sling, is it necessary/super beneficial? WHat would you recommend.

Not required but super beneficial. See the LTR thread in this section for what we recommend.

anything else I should know that isnt necessarily written down? are elbow pads/ or a shooters vest really that beneficial?

Read this. and this. Read a lot of these threads, read stuff on www.appleseedinfo.org, and then come back and ask. Pretty much all of your questions have already been asked and answered.

wow I feel completely unprepared now and under pressure to get a rig that will do the job as recommended by everyone. I almost feel as though I should have looked into all of this prior to signing up... there is no way I can order all of that stuff and get it done and installed prior to the shoot [thinking] what have I done!!!

wow I feel completely unprepared now and under pressure to get a rig that will do the job as recommended by everyone. I almost feel as though I should have looked into all of this prior to signing up... there is no way I can order all of that stuff and get it done and installed prior to the shoot [thinking] what have I done!!!

"Do what you can with what you have".

Seriously, almost everything that people will tell you to bring is a nice to have. Bring yourself, and a teachable attitude. Everything else, you can beg, borrow, or do without just fine. If you can actually bring everything on the recommended list, great. I shot my first day with a rifle, mags, and ammo, and all I bought before the next day was a $5 mat from Wal-Mart and a raincoat. Elbow pads, a mat, a shooting jacket, and other bits of secondary gear are (in my experience) more about what you need to be comfortable than what you need to shoot well.

Back
Top Bottom