• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard MA Appleseed July 17-18, Aug 21-22

wow I feel completely unprepared now and under pressure to get a rig that will do the job as recommended by everyone. I almost feel as though I should have looked into all of this prior to signing up... there is no way I can order all of that stuff and get it done and installed prior to the shoot [thinking] what have I done!!!

DAMNIT!!! I did it again!!
banghead.gif

Look, let me try this again. You asked about recommendations and I gave them to you but I forgot the most important thing: you bring a reliable rifle and we'll work with you with what you have!!

Can you shoot an AS with your rifle as equipped? YES!!! Is it the OPTIMAL configuration? No, but so what? It's YOUR rifle. What I gave you are what most folks find works best for them. Can you shoot an AQT with two high-cap mags and a standard mag? YES!! As I said, we can work around it - where most folks will shoot a mag dry on one stage (10 rounds) you just count your shots, drop your mag, clear your rifle and then transition to the next stage. YOU DO NOT NEED MORE MAGS. Blame me on that one - I was trying to be TOO helpful, perhaps!

Do you NEED a sling to shoot Rifleman? Hell, no - at least one of the instructors who'll be there did it without one. Her first day. In a tropical storm. Will you get more out of the shoot if you have one? Yes, but again - we'll teach you with YOUR rifle.

Scope - again, it will be a little harder for you, but that means that we - the instructors - have the job of making sure that you learn to not fuss the shot, even when you're seeing every little twitch of the rifle in time with your heartbeat.

Please - contact me offline (I'll PM you my phone #) and let's talk - I don't want you to be scared off by my unfortunate choice of words. If nothing else, we do have some equipment that can be loaned out. (in the last year my 10/22's have racked up thousands of rounds... and only a few hundred by me!)

Don't worry about it Dziner. Those lists are a composite of pretty much everything anybody ever wished they had at an appleseed. They used to be even longer! Come ready for the weather (sunscreen and water this time of year) with a reliable rifle/ammo combo and you'll be fine.

The sling is a huge help making the rifle steady but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it. The cheap $12 USGI sling is just as functional if not moreso than any of the bling ones.

Your elbows will also thank you after the shoot if you had something squishy like a mat or pads to protect them.

Dwarven1 is just about as helpful a guy as they come, so you're in good hands.

Last edited:
I'd like to attend, since I really don't know the proper techniques for shooting a rifle. The only rifle I own is an AK47, would this be OK for an Appleseed?

Yes, it'll be fine. I've seen plenty of AKs out there.

If you're bringing a centerfire rifle, keep in mind we shoot about 250 rounds Saturday and 500+ Sunday. If that's too much to spend on ammo, you can pace yourself on Sunday by sitting out some of the targets or we can set you up with alternate drills and stuff.

I overthink a lot of things it's in my nature as an engineer I am also fairly meticulous about some things I just saw $$$ and time trying to acquire everything listed. I definitely appreciate the info I am just one of those guys that if I am going to do something I want to do it right I absolutely add pressure to just about every situation due to my complex of "trying" to be a perfectionist

Edit: Sorry my Tapatalk cut me off there.

I will definitely gather some of the items i can see real merit in having. I will also do my best to pre-sight my scope. it is adjustable 3-9x. to clarify the requirements though: we are shooting at 100 yds at Harvard. So you recommend adjusting my scope as necessary to achieve grouping 3" above the point of aim while shooting from 100yds? and this will result in my rifle being "zeroed" for ther 25m AQT? please let me know if I understood that correct.

also, where is freds guide to becoming a rifleman? do I have to order it from "www.fredsm14stocks.com" or is that a different fred?

Finally, targets? will all of the targets necessary be provided by the instructors and included in the fee or do I need to either acquire them elsewhere or pay an additional fee upon arrival?

Last edited:
Well, this never works, but I'll give it a try anyway...

You're going to have to relax. You can't hit anything with a rifle unless your muscles, mind, and heart are calm. So if you're going to be a perfectionist about anything, perfect relaxation.

Otherwise, good enough's good enough... especially for your first time out. [smile]

I saw mike93lx @ Kittery a few weeks ago, I figure him for a Red Hat soon. My daughter has two weddings to go to that weekend so she's out. If I can hang onto my gallbladder I'll be there. I see the doctor this week. If I can't make July I'll be there in August. I'm hooked and I've been spreading the word.

I will also do my best to pre-sight my scope. it is adjustable 3-9x. to clarify the requirements though: we are shooting at 100 yds at Harvard. So you recommend adjusting my scope as necessary to achieve grouping 3" above the point of aim while shooting from 100yds? and this will result in my rifle being "zeroed" for ther 25m AQT? please let me know if I understood that correct.

also, where is freds guide to becoming a rifleman? do I have to order it from "www.fredsm14stocks.com" or is that a different fred?

Finally, targets? will all of the targets necessary be provided by the instructors and included in the fee or do I need to either acquire them elsewhere or pay an additional fee upon arrival?

1 - a 3-9x scope is just fine. Set it for 3X and forget it.

2 - you're shooting at 25 meters, not 100 yards. After the shoot, you'll be able to zero your scope to 100 yards just fine all by yourself as you will understand inches, minutes & clicks and how they relate (remember to bring a small notebook to jot down any adjustments you make to your sights).

3 - Fred's Guide is sold by Fredsm14stocks.com - same Fred.

4 - we provide all the targets; that's part of the $70.

UGH. So I spoke to my father about this months ago, he said he was interested, had a rifle, and wanted to shoot. I explained what it was about multiple times, etc. I speak to him the other day (after signing us up) and he informs me that "the old tube-fed .22 is gonna be the cats ass at this thing." Is anyone going to Harvard this Saturday with an extra LTR my dad can borrow? Failing that option, has anyone had any experience with the tube-feed speed loaders (example: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-1.html )

Also in my prep: Does anyone have any advice for a sling for the M&P 15-22?

Some of our instructors scored 210s with those speed loaders. Others got some straws from McDonalds and duct taped the ends until it was time to load. Unless the MP15-22 has non-standard hardware, go with a USGI sling or a Leather sling that you can use in loop configuration.

Ooh, McD's straws it is! Thanks for that bit of advice.

I guess my sling question is more about a front mount then. It's provisioned in the rear, but nothing up front.

Just checked and there's still plenty of room on the line for this weekend.

Scattered thunderstorms on Sat and cloudy on Sunday. Sounds like good shootin' weather. There'll be a hot dog truck there for lunch and they'll even have ice cream.

Ice cream. Now, THAT'S decadent! Wonder what some of those Lobsterbacks who were running back to Boston would have given for some ice cream? April 19th, 1775 was a nice sunny day, and their uniforms were nice heavy wool... and they were throwing away anything that was weighing them down in their haste to get away from those colonists and their deadly fire. Like canteens. They were drinking out of mud puddles, they were so desperate for water... and we're going to have ice cream. Man, what a debt we owe our forefathers.

Come on out to Harvard and we'll tell you the rest of the story. I'll guarantee it's NOT what you heard in school... if they even bothered to teach it to you. I sure didn't hear the real story. But we'll tell it to you.

Women shoot free.
Young men under 21 shoot free.
Military shoot free.
Elected officials shoot (you got it) free.

If you don't fall into one of those categories, you pay the huge sum of $70 for a weekend's worth of instruction. ($80 if you don't sign up by Thursday night). Still one of the best bargains in instruction out there.

we're going to have ice cream. Man, what a debt we owe our forefathers.

Incidentally, George Washington ran up a $200 ice cream bill in his second year as president...

In 2009, $200.00 from 1790 is worth:
$4,840.00 using the Consumer Price Index
$4,730.00 using the GDP deflator
$92,700.00 using the unskilled wage
$238,000.00 using the Production Worker Compensation
$195,000.00 using the nominal GDP per capita
$15,200,000.00 using the relative share of GDP

Data for consumer bundle only starts in 1900.

First day in the can - probably about 300+ rounds down range, at least 4-5 shooters very close to scoring Rifleman, some good history heard... and a dozen no-shows? Come on, folks... what do you think this is, winter? It was a nice sunny day, no rain in sight (unlike the last three shoots at Harvard)!!

Where were you??

Thomas Paine said:
These are the times that try men's souls.
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated.

my two cents - My first appleseed and I did not know what to expect. I was amazed at how dedicated and patient the instructors were. Whatever they could do to be helpful they did. True professionals. It seems that there is a lot that goes into running an appleseed and these guys are dedicated and definately have love for their country. I learned tons. I think everyone should do an appleseed shoot. I know I will be back for more- Thanks guys

Definitely improved my skill 10 fold. I had never shot a rifle without a benchrest before, so shooting prone, sitting, and standing with nothing but a sling was a huge learning experience. I didn't see how a sling could be beneficial when it was recommended, but now I cannot imagine how my shooting would have been without a sling. Obviously, I had no idea how to properly use a sling. These things are not just for carrying your rifle around on your back people, they are the third leg of a two legged stool, without it you are just not stable enough to shoot well. If anyone is considering an Appleseed I recommended it wholeheartedly, but I stongly encourage you to get a web sling!!!

Back
Top Bottom