HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB MONTHLY MEETING

The regular monthly meeting of the Harvard Sportsmen's Club will be held the first Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM. (New applicants should be there by 6:30 PM.)

Whether you're an existing member, or interested in becoming a member, please feel encouraged to attend the meeting and find out what's happening at HSC. I hope that you'll also feel encouraged to speak up and tell us any ideas that you have to make HSC a better club.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club has great faciliites including a newly renovated club house (with huge thanks to Paul Innamorati and Gerry Caruso). We also have ranges from 7 yards out to 300 yards, an indoor range, 10 action shooting pits, a shotgun range, a bunch of new archery ranges, a Class III sub-gun range, and a Class III big gun range. We have active groups in Class III, Junior Competition, Benchrest, Apple Seed, Biathlon, IPSC/USPSA, IDPA, and two SASS gangs. We have twice-monthly breakfasts in the clubhouse. And if you have any thoughts about other facilities or programs that you believe are important to our membership, bring your idea to the meeting and we'll talk it up.

If you're interested in joining HSC, the following information is from Betsy Grecoe, our membership coordinator.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

- Dan Hurley

===========================================================
===========================================================

NEW MEMBER PROCESS

New members must appear at a regular monthly meeting of the club along with their Sponsor.

Our membership meetings are held at 6:30 pm in the clubhouse on the first Thursday of each month. At the meeting, the applicants pick up and fill out the membership form, and submit the application with a check or cash for the applicable fee and dues. There is no need to complete the application ahead of time as it is simple to do.

The fees are currently $150 for a one-time initiation and $150 annual dues. Student, associate and junior memberships are $15 each. Our fiscal year begins in February so, near the end of the fiscal year, the dues for the current year are pro-rated. The Board will announce the cost at the meeting.

The Sponsor will introduce the Prospective Member to the membership. The applicants are then interviewed by the Board. Basically, the Board members ask the applicants to speak a bit about themselves, how they met their Sponsor, and why they wish to join the club. Each new member will be approved by a majority vote of the Board.

New members must attend a Safety Briefing that includes a tour of the facilities and an explanation of safety requirements. The Safety Briefings are generally held on the Sunday following the monthly meeting at 10 am. The briefing is informative AND we try to make it a little fun. The Class usually runs until 11:30 (depending on how much we discuss current politics).

After completion of the Board meeting and the Safety Briefing, members will receive their main gate access card via the mail. This may take anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks after completion of the Safety Briefing. (We are a volunteer workforce doing our best to fit our club duties into our normal lives.)

We require that all applicants be members of the NRA. If an applicant is not a member, he or she can join at the meeting by writing a separate check for $35 made out to the NRA. If an applicant is already a member, he or she should bring the NRA membership card so we can enter the NRA number and expiration date into our database.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, great info. I'm a prospective new member, and have heard nothing but good things about HSC.

Had planned on coming to the Feb meeting but couldn't make it at the last minute. Anyway, have had March 5th circled on my calendar since then and has been a very long 28 days waiting. Would take a team of wild horses to keep away from being there tomorrow PM.

I'll be going by tomorrow to do a FTF (maybe two if someone gets back to me) and to try and get myself a keycard.

Welcome to all the members who joined tonight. I was there briefly doing an FTF and testing my new M&P9 for function. You'll love the range tour. The extensiveness of the facilities is pretty stunning, or it was to me when I first joined.

Welcome to all the members who joined tonight. I was there briefly doing an FTF and testing my new M&P9 for function. You'll love the range tour. The extensiveness of the facilities is pretty stunning, or it was to me when I first joined.

ahhhh.. after Dench described you, i figured out who you were.

i saw you downstairs in the indoor range after taking a leak.

i was also in the parking lot when you pulled up. nice cah.

[laugh]

Thanks to all the new members that came out to join our gang. And it was especially good to meet the NES guys like Eddie Coyle, Dench, etc. that I've enjoyed reading for so long. Welcome to the club and I look forward to making some noise with you all.

Just did some shooting on the outdoor range (Action Shooting Pits) on Sunday 3/8. The spring thaw has turned the rang road into a quagmire. I made the trip OK with a 4wd pick up, but doubt that a 2wd vehicle would stand a chance. As I was leaving a tow truck was extricating a BMW from the Class III Range area.

This seasonal problem will improve with the weather. I mention it only as a "heads up" for those intending to use these ranges in the immediate future; get a 4wd of a pair of tall rubber boots. The roads are a mess but the ranges are in pretty good shape.

Yeah, the roads were a mess on Sunday when I was there. The 4WD on my car made it doable, but I can imagine it being a PITA for others.

That was my BMW, unfortunately. [sad] What a disaster the roads were. I was making the trip around, made the bend by the shotgun range and said "Crap. At least the winter rims are still on!" No place to turn around till the Class III pit, so I made it to the Class III range, and didn't even get the chance to turn around. I went to put it in reverse and the just felt the car sink. Bummer.

Clarence came by after the fact and said he'd be "closing down the roads 'cus they're pretty bad." 2 minutes too late. Sigh. Live and learn, I guess. Pics to follow, if I can find em.

ETA - Pics:

First: Doesn't look THAT bad, right?
5.jpg

Wrong!:
Drivers rear:
3.jpg

Passenger Rear:
1.jpg

Mucho Stuck-o:
2.jpg

All the tow truck did was pull me back about 15 feet and I was able to free it and turn around. All around embarrassing moment, but it made shooting the new .44 Mag feel REALLY good. [laugh] I also managed to turn 3 or 4 other cars back before it was too late for them, too. - If anyone reading this was in the Chrysler 300, you're welcome. [laugh] That thing would have been up to the door handles if you had gone much further.

Lessons to be learned. Don't venture to Harvard in the spring unless you:

Like to walk
Have 4x4

Now to go find a used Wrangler/Tacoma...

Last edited:
The road was pretty interesting at Westford this weekend as well. I was giving an NES member interested in joining WSC a tour. We drove my car down and back to the pistol/rifle range. My xB didn't have any problems with traction, ground clearance was the issue. I was very close to getting stuck. When I was done giving the tour and went back to shoot I left the car at the clubhouse and walked.

I talked to the grounds chair at the last meeting about the mud problem. This is an annual situation and I suggested a dozen or so truckloads of gravel be put down and graded. We did that at the 100 yd. range years ago and it made a big difference. The 300 yd. range will be out of service until mid May or until the frost is totally out of the ground.

I talked to the grounds chair at the last meeting about the mud problem. This is an annual situation and I suggested a dozen or so truckloads of gravel be put down and graded. We did that at the 100 yd. range years ago and it made a big difference. The 300 yd. range will be out of service until mid May or until the frost is totally out of the ground.

I agree, gravel is the right way to go. You need to stabilize the surface. But at the last board meeting, all anyone could talk about is hot topping the road into the club. It would seem that is a waste of time and energy if you can't get past the 100 yard range and on to the back side of the club. I say whatever resources were going to be used on the black topping effort used on gravel on the dirt roads. That gravel would then serve as a base for any black top surface in the future.

BTW: Cuda, you didn't post pics of your shoes... [laugh]

New member to be

I will be there in April to join. Really want to use that 300 yard range! It'll be nice to meet some of you. Anyone want to be my sponsor?[grin]

The only time the ranges are busy is right before the hunting season. Week days and weekend mornings it's usually almost empty. Most people seem to shoot on weekend afternoons but there are so many ranges it's not a problem.

I will *likely* be there for the April meeting. It depends on when my plane gets in. PM me for the info you need for me to sponsor you.

The only time the ranges are busy is right before the hunting season. Week days and weekend mornings it's usually almost empty. Most people seem to shoot on weekend afternoons but there are so many ranges it's not a problem.

That and the first couple of truly WARM weekend days of spring (cabin fever, much?). But even then there's plenty of room to shoot.

I will be there in April to join. Really want to use that 300 yard range! It'll be nice to meet some of you. Anyone want to be my sponsor?[grin]

I will be at the 300yd. range almost every Sunday from 10:30 til at least 2p.m. if the weather is decent to qualify people. I will need to see a target fired on the 100yd. range, and then will have you fire a group on the 200 in my presence. Carl Adams is your alternative choice.
I am going to check the mud situation this weekend.

I didn't know you were back at the 300. Glad to hear it. I'll stop by Sunday.

Gerry,
Didn't see your truck Today. I did go to the 300 but think it needs another week or so to dry up the down range road. All the water from the IPSC area is now run into the 300 impact area through the pipes going though the berms.
I spent a couple hours picking up brass and talking to people at the 50.

My truck is in the shop. I had my wifes suv today. I was at the 300 at 10:00 and the road looked pretty good. Some ruts but the mud seems to be dried up. Hopefully I'll be there on the weekend. A lot of the guys have been asking about me and I appreciate their concern. I'm going in this week for my last cycle and should be as good as new after that. See ya on the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom