Harvard Sportsmen's Club

You know who’s got that code?
Thanks again to everyone that helped me get the code.

I was at the club today, giving the tour to a friend who will be joining soon. While we were at the 100, I grabbed a nut and bolt, and reconnected the second chain to the middle plate.

Then, trying to shoot the one on the right with my Henry, I chewed up some of the plywood. I need more practice with that thing.

a club i belonged to once solved the chain problem by replacing the chain with angle iron welded to the steel plates. at the top of the angle iron was a round sleeve that was slid over a piece of round steel stock. instead of dancing around when hit as they did when on a chain, the steel plates swing instead, but they still produced a nice "gong" sound. that round steel stock also had an angle iron shroud welded in front of it to deflect any errant shots on impact. the top rail was bolted to the frame so it could be taken apart quickly if repairs were needed. it's kind of hard to describe here. to keep the cost down, a range committee member solicited odd pieces of the angle iron from a local metal fabricator...left over odd stock from past jobs that were laying around waiting for another job due to the strange lengths. the fabricator even defrayed more of the cost if the club gave them a mention in the news letter. they had steel racks at 150, 250 & 400 yds and i don't remember too many problems.

Hey all, first time posting here - I am a first time owner but lifetime shooter looking to join Harvard Sportsmen’s club.

I am wondering if anyone is willing to meet me there sometime to talk, shoot, and potentially sponsor. I’ll bring some ammo or some beer (not to drink on range of course) for your time. PM if willing to help out, thanks all!

I was by the club today so I decided to check on things. Looks like we need some plywood replaced.
I put up two new steel plates and added a retention bar on the back to keep the small plates from flipping all the way over.
I’m a little surprised that with 33 inches of height on the plywood of the target stands, that people are still shooting at the top and bottom boards. 🤷🏿‍♂️ Anyhow, I’ll try to pick up some plywood and do the replacements.

Attachments

• CD745580-8613-408A-BF62-6E57440498AC.jpeg
    CD745580-8613-408A-BF62-6E57440498AC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • 1E53C82A-0DB8-4AB4-BAE1-29AD5A972E2F.jpeg
    1E53C82A-0DB8-4AB4-BAE1-29AD5A972E2F.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DDF0E247-5178-48D8-995A-C80C6600979F.jpeg
    DDF0E247-5178-48D8-995A-C80C6600979F.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 39
  • F6E12A51-FFDA-43F8-B6B9-7599A6CFE8E8.jpeg
    F6E12A51-FFDA-43F8-B6B9-7599A6CFE8E8.jpeg
    653.1 KB · Views: 39
People just suck... both in their marksmanship and in their ability to just be good people and not ruin things on purpose

I was by the club today so I decided to check on things. Looks like we need some plywood replaced.
I put up two new steel plates and added a retention bar on the back to keep the small plates from flipping all the way over.
I’m a little surprised that with 33 inches of height on the plywood of the target stands, that people are still shooting at the top and bottom boards. 🤷🏿‍♂️ Anyhow, I’ll try to pick up some plywood and do the replacements.
It looks like the steel plate plywood protectors are doing pretty well. The one piece I replaced on the bottom looks to be doing staying together.

And it appears there are only 4 extra holes in the cross bar in addition to the three originally. That's pretty good after 3 months.

EDIT: It also looks like the plywood I put up on the posts for the steel plate are doing ok as well. If they need to be replaced, I have more of that scrap plywood in strips. I haven't been the last couple weeks, so not sure how they are holding up.

Last edited:
Maybe there is a way to position the plywood forward, to clear it from the back splatter? From the pics it looks like that is doing a number on the wood.

Maybe there is a way to position the plywood forward, to clear it from the back splatter? From the pics it looks like that is doing a number on the wood.
It sort of is due to the width I made the boards. The top of the bottom board sits on the middle board and is angled. If I was smarter I would have made a small piece so it would be forward the whole way.

We could probably make it so it is off the post by 1.5” and that would probably work. Although I don’t know if it is because people are just hitting high as opposed to spall. Worth a try

It sort of is due to the width I made the boards. The top of the bottom board sits on the middle board and is angled. If I was smarter I would have made a small piece so it would be forward the whole way.

We could probably make it so it is off the post by 1.5” and that would probably work. Although I don’t know if it is because people are just hitting high as opposed to spall. Worth a try
I can personally own some of the high shots on the steel. I am passable offhand, but with the open sights on my 357 Henry, I'm not yet a sharpshooter.

The piece on the back to stop the swinging of the plates broke.

The pieces protecting the side are doing ok but I will replace next week. And the plywood on the bottom will be replaced as well. It seems there are more holes than spall.

The piece on the back to stop the swinging of the plates broke.

The pieces protecting the side are doing ok but I will replace next week. And the plywood on the bottom will be replaced as well. It seems there are more holes than spall.
yeah I didn't think it would last super long I'llbe by this week to do a little more repair work and replace the plywood on the target stands.

the steel plates pit next/behind to 25/50 range - is is cleared from steel plates now or is it back? i poked my nose there on friday morning but it was all torn apart down there - was it for this event, or was it a permanent alteration?
We used the back 40 pit so I'm assuming it wasn't permanently altered

Not good. I had too many brain farts that cost me BIG time. I blame lack of sleep and the heat.

Still managed 40th overall out of 158. But I had the second fastest time on the boat stage so there’s that lol
AE0177FE-6DE9-4AF7-9A25-36D7D6CC311D.png
How did they propel the boat? was it basically towed down the swim lane?
There were taught ropes on either side that you had to pull on to move the boat. I did 3 long fast pulls in the beginning and then a couple quick ones after that. Worked out perfectly to be in alignment with the targets. No wasted time.

How did you end up replying in this thread? @andrew1220 [laugh]
These comments were started in the reloading room thread and I figured I’d move them to the Harvard thread lol. It was at Harvard so I thought it would be relatively on topic/relevant?😂
Post 555 was in the reloading room thread too.

There were taught ropes on either side that you had to pull on to move the boat. I did 3 long fast pulls in the beginning and then a couple quick ones after that. Worked out perfectly to be in alignment with the targets. No wasted time.

Where did they get all that water to put in the trough? That looks pretty fun lol

Where did they get all that water to put in the trough? That looks pretty fun lol

Match Director Phil Chevalier has wanted to do this stage for like 3 years, but getting water to it has always been the issue. He noticed a year ago that the entrance to one of the garages was cut strangely and asked Jason why? Was told "that's so we can clear it with the water tanks on the truck" - and went [banana]

They graded the pit using a transom, dropped two telephone poles down to make the edges, built the dock and end, covered it with a roofing membrame, and filled it with water from the tanks on the truck. Then tossed in a bunch of ducks.

We had to top it off twice over the weekend, and dumped some "iron out" in it to make it look less toxic.

It wasn't a technically difficult stage, no cover, vision barriers only - and only one target with priority - but it was a terrifically fun stage.

We had the shooter place their unloaded firearm in a box, got them in the boat, and handed them the box. At end, unload and show clear... put firearm back in box, we'll give it back to you at the side table. A little tedious perhaps, but nobody muzzled themselves - so no DQ's for that.

A few shooters overran targets and had to back up. Same process as when walking a stage, just done differently. Adhering to the 180 was pretty critical on this stage.

Unfortunately, I DQ'd one shooter on the stage - despite the briefing, and the muzzle indicator, he grabbed the rope with his gunhand.

(That's NOT me in the picture that Andrew posted - that's Jeff)

Match Director Phil Chevalier has wanted to do this stage for like 3 years, but getting water to it has always been the issue. He noticed a year ago that the entrance to one of the garages was cut strangely and asked Jason why? Was told "that's so we can clear it with the water tanks on the truck" - and went [banana]

They graded the pit using a transom, dropped two telephone poles down to make the edges, built the dock and end, covered it with a roofing membrame, and filled it with water from the tanks on the truck. Then tossed in a bunch of ducks.

We had to top it off twice over the weekend, and dumped some "iron out" in it to make it look less toxic.

It wasn't a technically difficult stage, no cover, vision barriers only - and only one target with priority - but it was a terrifically fun stage.

We had the shooter place their unloaded firearm in a box, got them in the boat, and handed them the box. At end, unload and show clear... put firearm back in box, we'll give it back to you at the side table. A little tedious perhaps, but nobody muzzled themselves - so no DQ's for that.

A few shooters overran targets and had to back up. Same process as when walking a stage, just done differently. Adhering to the 180 was pretty critical on this stage.

Unfortunately, I DQ'd one shooter on the stage - despite the briefing, and the muzzle indicator, he grabbed the rope with his gunhand.

Nice seeing you there Allen. Thanks again for working the match

you guys are amazing of what you do there.

They go all out for sure. Definitely makes for a challenging (but fun!!) match [laugh]

I was vaguely aware of NER (New England Regional), but wasn't planning on shooting it until I ran into Phil at Sprague last year. After talking to him, I shot it and worked it last year. Had a terrific time, so did it again this year.

It was a 14 stage match; a couple of technical stages in there, but nothing too horrendous. Props worked pretty well - couple of problems, but nothing horrendous. The 14 stages included a quick warmup and slightly longer winddown.

The leadership and core membership put an incredible amount of work into this match - and it shows. Rapidly becoming one of my favorite matches to shoot.

i hope to eventually overcome my laziness and start participating... it is a lot of fun indeed. but the idea of spending most of the day on the weekend, in the heat - damn. i am lazy. :)
The 2021 NER match didn't take this long but I think that was due to the fact that this years match had basically max round counts on almost every stage. On top of the stages being very elaborate.
It was definitely a long ass day. And I didn't even work the match or help with prep/tear down like Allen and the other folks.

Anyway, go to a monthly club match. First shots at 10 and usually done by 230-3ish.

Back
Top Bottom