• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

switching gears; do you think there are many fudds at HSC? Was talking to someone who's a member there and he believes in magazine limits and AW bans.

ETA - to be clear. I'm not suggesting it's a fudd club. I'm wondering if there are any fudds there and/or if they would be tolerated. I think this guy I spoke to is 'in the closet' so to speak.
I didn't know Harvard had a skeet field

Its not even a trap field.

Just a range with manual cock / load throwers where you are allowed to shot clay pigeons
wanted to note the same, but, ok.
it would be NICE to have a proper trap field with electric automatic stuff in there, but, i guess it is not for this club, you cannot have it all.

it would be NICE to have a proper trap field with electric automatic stuff in there, but, i guess it is not for this club, you cannot have it all.
I am pretty sure that during my orientation walk, they mentioned they have electronic ones stored somewhere. But I am doubting myself. I, personally, have never seen anyone over there.

I've talked to board members about it before. There's not enough space for a skeet field, thanks to all the wetlands in the area. There's just no place where shit wouldn't land in water.

I've talked to board members about it before. There's not enough space for a skeet field, thanks to all the wetlands in the area. There's just no place where shit wouldn't land in water.
oh yeah, skeet is way bigger than the available space. Trap has different needs. You'd have to talk to conservation about what could/n't happen, but there's probably a happy compromise if someone wanted to spearhead the project.

oh yeah, skeet is way bigger than the available space. Trap has different needs. You'd have to talk to conservation about what could/n't happen, but there's probably a happy compromise if someone wanted to spearhead the project.
Really? I could get involved in that. I was just always under the impression that it's not possible without acquiring some more land, like the field next to the main driveway.

Really? I could get involved in that. I was just always under the impression that it's not possible without acquiring some more land, like the field next to the main driveway.
I think a person who wanted to spearhead such a project would be welcomed to investigate what's possible and empowered to act on what they learn. I have limited experience with the requirements of the various shotgun sports, but I'm good at making introductions...

I can volunteer my participation if everything will be planned by someone else. :)
Trap is a fun thing. I did not touch my shotgun now dunno how many years.

I am pretty sure that during my orientation walk, they mentioned they have electronic ones stored somewhere. But I am doubting myself. I, personally, have never seen anyone over there.
Yes indeed, the folks that rake up dumpsters full of wads, trim weeds and brush and keep everything tidy as part of the small shotgun committee have access to some powered throwers. And you can also bring your own, try not to break your windshield with a clay.

Yes indeed, the folks that rake up dumpsters full of wads, trim weeds and brush and keep everything tidy as part of the small shotgun committee have access to some powered throwers. And you can also bring your own, try not to break your windshield with a clay.
Does a committee have any days when a non committee can join them at some powered fun? Or does s it on strictly committee only need to know basis?
:)
Seriously enough- I can never plan my outings there but I never saw anyone at shotgun range. Ever.

Try pricing it out, finding a location on club grounds to put a trap field (or re-task the existing shotgun field) and offer to champion the project from design through completion, being on the project like a cheap suit, and making it happen. Even if you get turned down, such an approach will certainly be respected/

Does a committee have any days when a non committee can join them at some powered fun? Or does s it on strictly committee only need to know basis?
:)
Seriously enough- I can never plan my outings there but I never saw anyone at shotgun range. Ever.
I don't think they have secret committee meetings, there will be events listed on the calendar and via email, entire range cleanup days are scheduled a couple times a year and there are some smaller cleanups that happen typically early on sundays and involve a couple folks on the crew and maybe a tractor.

Trap field schematic. Not sure how much space you need beyond the shooting area

Attachments

• ATA_Trap_Field_Diagrams.pdf
    469.8 KB · Views: 14
An interesting example of how to get things done. One of the members at Hopkinton wanted to start "PRS" (precision 22 rifle shooting competition). He told the board he wanted to started the program, would make it happen, and needed some seed money (in the form of authorized to have the club pay for stuff; not direct cash). The board agreed, PRS has a decent following (a bunch of club member went our spending well over $1K on .22 rifles), and is regularly cash positive.

But, if he has just asked the board to start a PRS program we would still be waiting.

When I was in the leadership of a club and someone said “we should do X”, our usual response was “form a committee, you are the chair, and bring us a proposal for how you would do that”,

I did that as Master of my Lodge. Usually to a Past Master with a bright idea. "OK, you're in charge of getting that done."

I’d like to thank the 50 yard range crew for rebuilding the target stands and the structure from which to hang bottles and cans. They used telephone poles and some of the leftover railroad ties, so it should last longer. I had a lot of fun yesterday with it.

I also saw that some telephone poles have been moved to the 100 yard range, so looks like Mark’s statement about those being used as the posts for the steel will shortly come true.

I’d like to thank the 50 yard range crew for rebuilding the target stands and the structure from which to hang bottles and cans. They used telephone poles and some of the leftover railroad ties, so it should last longer. I had a lot of fun yesterday with it.

I also saw that some telephone poles have been moved to the 100 yard range, so looks like Mark’s statement about those being used as the posts for the steel will shortly come true.
Yup we're going to do almost the exact same thing as the 50yd.

it would be nice to also get a railroad rail or something to put it as a barrier in front of the rod that chains are attached to.
Based on the 50 yard construction, the railroad tie will be the cross bar. The telephone poles are the vertical frame. So, no more bar perhaps.

From the grounds crew and one prospective member who volunteered, you're welcome. Its good when folks volunteer to help make the club better.

Back
Top Bottom