• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has Any one got an LTC in Somerville MA

Can anyone help me write a letter I got interviews in April for my ltc don't know what to write and what kind of question they going to ask me

Have you researched what others have had success with and what comes up in the “interview”?

That info is out there. Probably even in this thread.

I thought that the law had changed where it is Class A or nothing. And if denied, the PD Chief had to furnish proof as to why you were "unsuitable"? A friend of mine moved to Winchester after having a restricted Class B as he lived in the Boston area about 5 years ago. He saw Winchester was a "green town" went in and applied for a Class A and they gave him a Class B. He is the ultimate professional, squeaky clean, and they screwed him. This was before the revised permitting law I just mentioned came out.

I thought that the law had changed where it is Class A or nothing. And if denied, the PD Chief had to furnish proof as to why you were "unsuitable"? A friend of mine moved to Winchester after having a restricted Class B as he lived in the Boston area about 5 years ago. He saw Winchester was a "green town" went in and applied for a Class A and they gave him a Class B. He is the ultimate professional, squeaky clean, and they screwed him. This was before the revised permitting law I just mentioned came out.

Wait, so are you asking how he got a Class B when he did his renewal before they got rid of a class B? I think everyone in this thread got a class A, some just got restrictions, which are still a thing.

Sorry, I thought after looking at Glides' reply that they are still scrutinizing the applicants. It is supposed to be pretty straight forward now with the permitting process unless I'm mistaken.

Sorry, I thought after looking at Glides' reply that they are still scrutinizing the applicants. It is supposed to be pretty straight forward now with the permitting process unless I'm mistaken.

From everyone, at least in Somerville and the couple other cities where friends of mine applied for the first time, it was pretty straight forward.

A few people got restrictions and it looks like Somerville will remove them after a year. Many got no restrictions, all were Class A.

From everyone, at least in Somerville and the couple other cities where friends of mine applied for the first time, it was pretty straight forward.

A few people got restrictions and it looks like Somerville will remove them after a year. Many got no restrictions, all were Class A.

Yeah I think Somerville falls into the group that just profiles who they will give unrestricted to the "first" time. (As opposed to places that are reasonable enough to just pass/fail on statutory requirements)

Might be a bit of a moving Target depending on how the captains impression of you is.

Might be a bit of a moving Target depending on how the captains impression of you is.

Advice to anyone in Somerville who is going to apply in the future. Go to the Resistat meetings for your Ward and get to know the officers who show up. The Chief doesn't make all of them, but there is usually at least one Captain and a Ward office there.

Lol, no, the new law doesn't prevent douche towns from restricting people, so no, nothing has changed in that regard.

-Mike

Do anyone know how long it's going to take for ur license to come after the interview
What did they tell you? The woman that coordinates all of this stuff is more than thorough and probably has answered every single question you've had so far. I believe mine was 6 weeks.

Hoo okay cause I did my interview 2 weeks ago
I do not remember anyone getting it in less than four, and that was a renewal, average seems to be about six, but I know a few who waited eight. I think it depends on just how much of a backlog there is at any given time as opposed to a conscious effort to delay.

I do not remember anyone getting it in less than four, and that was a renewal, average seems to be about six, but I know a few who waited eight. I think it depends on just how much of a backlog there is at any given time as opposed to a conscious effort to delay.

I would concur. For my wife it was in our mail when we got back from a vacation, so didn't know the exact day but it was around 7 weeks I think.

Yeah took about a month for my renewal

Ho okay I was just curious cause the chief told me people who was living on in different states before they come live in Massachusetts take more time but me I been living in Massachusetts for my old life

Ho okay I was just curious cause the chief told me people who was living on in different states before they come live in Massachusetts take more time but me I been living in Massachusetts for my old life
Background checks are done nationally as well as in MA. More states may take more time, but I seriously doubt it. PDs take lots of time as it sits on desks ignored for most of that time, and this is true in most PDs.

For anyone who recently moved to Somerville and will be applying, here is the resistat schedule. It is a good time to meet elected officials and the Chief, or at least a Captain or two if the Chief cannot make it.

Spring 2018 ResiStat Meeting Schedule

Meetings run from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m., with refreshments at 6:00 p.m.

• Ward 6 (greater Davis Sq. neighborhood): , May 8, TAB Building Senior Center Room, 167 Holland St.
  • Ward 5 (Magoun Sq., NE Ball Sq., Cedar & Lowell St. areas, NW Porter Sq.): , May 14, Kennedy School, 5 Cherry St.
  • Ward 7 (West Somerville, Teele Sq.):, May 14, West Somerville Neighborhood School, 177 Powder House Blvd. (That’s not a typo – The meetings in Wards 5 and 7 are taking place on the same night.)
  • Ward 2 (S. Union Sq., Perry and Lincoln Park neighborhoods, Beacon St. area): , May 22, Argenziano School, 290 Washington St.
  • Ward 1 (East Somerville, Assembly Sq.): , May 30, East Somerville Community School Auditorium, 50 Cross St.
  • Ward 4 (Winter Hill, Ten Hills):, May 31, Healey School, 5 Meacham St.
  • Ward 3 (N. Union Sq., Prospect Hill, Spring Hill, Central Hill): , June 5, Somerville High School Library (enter through the Field House doors), 81 Highland Ave.

Hey guy been waiting for my license for 6 weeks now should I call them or I still have to wait

6 weeks? You can call but if I remember correctly they mail it to you without even telling you, so I would guess it could be showing up in your mail box soon. You CAN call them whenever you want, but if you haven't heard from them with a denial yet I would just wait a little longer because they are not likely to speed anything up just because you call them.

6 weeks? You can call but if I remember correctly they mail it to you without even telling you, so I would guess it could be showing up in your mail box soon. You CAN call them whenever you want, but if you haven't heard from them with a denial yet I would just wait a little longer because they are not likely to speed anything up just because you call them.
Thanks I will wait until next week to see

Ill be applying here in a few months. I am a new MA resident but have had a continuous carry license in another sate for the last 10 years as well as previous law enforcement experience. I left a large portion of my collection out of state but I would be pretty pissed if I don't get an unrestricted, I don't see the point without it.

And if denied, the PD Chief had to furnish proof as to why you were "unsuitable"?
The new standard is "danger to self or others", but the courts are almost universal in applying the old standard "Did the issuing authority think (s)he had a reason?". Prove that the issuing authority did not think he had a reason to restrict your permit, and you win.

Renewed in Somerville this year.
- First renewal
- Initially issued restricted
- Wrote letter etc.
- No interview with Capt. Donovan, just with the lady that runs the substation.
- They were professional, and pro-active (as in calling me with an update)
- Renewal is ALP

^^ Good to hear!
I just had friend and wife apply over the summer- took 6 weeks with no restrictions.
This is the kind of "green" I like for Somerville, not that B.S. ban on plastic bags!

Back
Top Bottom