Has anyone here ever built a Sten?

Funny is my 12yo son wants to LEARN welding. ??? He's so strange like that. He spends 90% of his free time in front of a PS4. But he's very artistic, does spray-paint paintings and such as well as drawing and suddenly wants to go 3D and learn welding. Told him when he is 14-15 we would take a class or two together.

don't delay. There was a dude who was teaching a TIG welding class, more like a session, a few people really out in the Worcester maker space. Nothing too formal, but lots of personal attention. MIG welding is pretty easy and handy. He advertized other classes as well. I think that's a good deal and an informal intro with everything in class supplied.

I think that I got my kid helping with MIG welding before he even shot his AK, i.e. when he was 6. As long as you got good welding helmet to protect eyes and thick gloves, not too many things can go wrong.

Yep. That was what I was thinking myself.

Funny is my 12yo son wants to LEARN welding. ??? He's so strange like that. He spends 90% of his free time in front of a PS4. But he's very artistic, does spray-paint paintings and such as well as drawing and suddenly wants to go 3D and learn welding. Told him when he is 14-15 we would take a class or two together.

As far as my links - I thought I dumped them all:

And the fun "how to" webpage:

Now I've got my juices flowing for this again. And not a ton of stuff on my plate. And my workshop/basement is 100x cleaner now than it was when I started this a year or so ago. Maybe it's time to get me to pre-weld.
@EddieCoyle I hate you for starting this thread.
@Dennis in MA I hate you gor posting this.
[laugh]

I am going to find one of these kits now and try to build one. I dont have a press, but I can always find a fellow NES member that wants to help. :)

the main challenges with Sten built "legally" are the same as with most blow back burp guns like greaser, Suomi, PPSh, PPS:

1. you need smaller receiver tube that won't allow original bolt to go in
2. modified semi bolt with moving firing pin, not fixed one
3. semi FCG. PPSh is exceptional in that regard that it had semi mode and there is an approved way to use it.

so as rule of thumb:
1. kits are typically dirt cheap (because you are paying lots for extra semi parts, it's your main expense)
2. Barrels were typically under 16" and thanks to ATF, we can't use smoothbore under 16" barrels without NFA, what Franklin Armory has discovered and was over ruled a year later.

I'm going to throw one more, "ghey" option. You may build the Sten as Queen intended it as a blank firing gun. This would allow you to keep short barrel, that looks original. This would also allow you to have it be full auto without NFA and still be withing the law. Honestly it's very tempting, it's not like you faggots going to hit anything with that thing on the range, so it's like sex in condom, there is the movement, there is no progress. This would also be the cheapest option.

the main challenges with Sten built "legally" are the same as with most blow back burp guns like greaser, Suomi, PPSh, PPS:

3. semi FCG. PPSh is exceptional in that regard that it had semi mode and there is an approved way to use it.

so as rule of thumb:
1. kits are typically dirt cheap (because you are paying lots for extra semi parts, it's your main expense)
2. Barrels were typically under 16" and thanks to ATF, we can't use smoothbore under 16" barrels without NFA, what Franklin Armory has discovered and was over ruled a year later.

I'm going to throw one more, "ghey" option. You may build the Sten as Queen intended it as a blank firing gun. This would allow you to keep short barrel, that looks original. This would also allow you to have it be full auto without NFA and still be withing the law. Honestly it's very tempting, it's not like you faggots going to hit anything with that thing on the range, so it's like sex in condom, there is the movement, there is no progress. This would also be the cheapest option.

I like this idea....just with....disposable, single-use blank-firing adapters. Made of lead, so it seals the barrel up nice and tight

As I'm doing my research, I'm actually thinking I might be more interested in doing a Sterling...

Anyone done any of that? The project looks no more difficult than the Sten, though the stuff required to make the receiver is more expensive.

Admit it, you want to do an Owen Gun, let's just go all the way with Commonwealth submachine guns [laugh]

As I'm doing my research, I'm actually thinking I might be more interested in doing a Sterling...

Anyone done any of that? The project looks no more difficult than the Sten, though the stuff required to make the receiver is more expensive.

When Sterlings just showed up, long time ago, Apex sold a run of new made barrels and ATF approved semi FCGs as a bundle. It's not that different than Sten. Of course at this moment good luck sourcing these parts.

@EddieCoyle I hate you for starting this thread.
@Dennis in MA I hate you gor posting this.
[laugh]

I am going to find one of these kits now and try to build one. I dont have a press, but I can always find a fellow NES member that wants to help. :)

you don't really need a press here, just some dremel work and few welds here and there.

Also don't forget that there are something like Mark 12,3 and 4 versions, plus some came with different stocks .... you gotta collect them all.

Also, Sarco used to run bundles, all Marks in one bundle, something like that. Might as well just get over with it.

Admit it, you want to do an Owen Gun, let's just go all the way with Commonwealth submachine guns [laugh]

Nah, that one's ugly.

I'd do a Sten III for the classic look, a Sten V for functionality, or a Sterling because it's sexy. And because Stormtroopers.

Nah, that one's ugly.

I'd do a Sten III for the classic look, a Sten V for functionality, or a Sterling because it's sexy. And because Stormtroopers.

My interests include:

*Mk II Sten
*Suppressed Sten
*Owen

But I'll wait until I leave RI, which would allow me access to NFA options.

My interests include:

*Mk II Sten
*Suppressed Sten
*Owen

But I'll wait until I leave RI, which would allow me access to NFA options.

LOL!

Come to MA and get your MG license...

What's stopping me from ordering whatever parts kit I end up with is that I'm trying to decide which of these looks least lame with a 16" barrel. The muffler-pipe mock suppressor does nothing for me. I love the look of an extended ventilated handguard (of whatever length) that goes a good way down the barrel.

LOL!

Come Go to MAine and get your MG license... need no licenses other than ATF paperwork.

What's stopping me from ordering whatever parts kit I end up with is that I'm trying to decide which of these looks least lame with a 16" barrel. The muffler-pipe mock suppressor does nothing for me. I love the look of an extended ventilated handguard (of whatever length) that goes a good way down the barrel.

FIFY.

you don't really need a press here, just some dremel work and few welds here and there.

Also don't forget that there are something like Mark 12,3 and 4 versions, plus some came with different stocks .... you gotta collect them all.

Also, Sarco used to run bundles, all Marks in one bundle, something like that. Might as well just get over with it.
I was reading about the MK5. I saw that site Dennis mentioned sells the trigger guard, seems like it would be easier to put together. I also like the wooden stock better.

Last edited:
LOL!

Come to MA and get your MG license...

You could always pay the $200 tax and SBR it.

so as rule of thumb:

You can use an original ID tube with a blocking bar. Also you can use a short barrel with a larger ID tube welded on the end to get your 16”.

You can use an original ID tube with a blocking bar. Also you can use a short barrel with a larger ID tube welded on the end to get your 16”.

true, but most kits have their receivers already distroyed, so you need a tube anyway. A lot of guys get/make tube or slightly smaller dia or thicker walls. Blocker bar also needs specific machining done to the bolt and machining those are royal pain in the ass. Chances are most, people will get whatever semi bolt and go from there.

Same deal with barrels, most of them are new manufacture and extensions just look ghey. You might as well get 16" barrel, which also look ghey, unless you are putting a fake silencer on the end which actually did happen to Stens, some had suppressors for special ops.

You could always pay the $200 tax and SBR it.

Yeah, not in the cards; that would increase the price of the whole project by more than I'd want to spend. I'm thinking of this as a way to learn about welding, but that's just how I'm justifying it to myself. I'm well aware I don't even remotely need to get into a project like this. [smile]

Yeah, not in the cards; that would increase the price of the whole project by more than I'd want to spend. I'm thinking of this as a way to learn about welding, but that's just how I'm justifying it to myself. I'm well aware I don't even remotely need to get into a project like this. [smile]

As an incentive to learn to weld, that is good but you should learn and practice your welds before you begin the STEN project. It is thin tubing and there is a critical weld on the ejector that needs to be right the first time to save you from headaches of having to redo it and possibly screw up the receiver tube.
I'd suggest you get the welder, a couple of rolls of wire and some similar or exact thickness metal pieces and make many practice welds, adjusting the welder for feed speed and heat setting and perfecting your technique so when it's time to do the receiver you'll be confident of your ability.

Once you start using a MIG and feel comfortable with it you'll likely be looking around for things to fix. [thumbsup]

As an incentive to learn to weld, that is good but you should learn and practice your welds before you begin the STEN project. It is thin tubing and there is a critical weld on the ejector that needs to be right the first time to save you from headaches of having to redo it and possibly screw up the receiver tube.
I'd suggest you get the welder, a couple of rolls of wire and some similar or exact thickness metal pieces and make many practice welds, adjusting the welder for feed speed and heat setting and perfecting your technique so when it's time to do the receiver you'll be confident of your ability.

Once you start using a MIG and feel comfortable with it you'll likely be looking around for things to fix. [thumbsup]
Welding is like shooting, practice, practice, practice. I took a course at the voke in my town just to get time on the machines without the stress of trying to learn how to weld at work. I had the basics but I wanted to be able to test the tensile strength of the welds and I could do it at Tri County.

This is appropos of this thread, even though there's no sound.

The best part starts at around :30 and goes for about a minute. Loading these things onto a truck by the wheelbarrowful.

Great video.....no gloves, glasses, earplugs, ......that woman arch welding must have had brutally flash burned hands all the time.

WECSOGGING TO THE MAX!!! [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom