• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone here used a Hoppes boresnake?

Hello All,

I just purchased a Hoppes boresnake to clean one of my longarms. I read up on the Hoppes site but it didn't say where to put the Hoppes solution or the gunoil on the snake as it makes its passes through the barrel.

If anyone has any guidance I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose

i have a bore snake for 4 calibers and i think they are great...i usually put some gun oil on the brush part to get a scrubbing action going then i'll run it dry a couple times and then i'll put a squirt down the barrel and run the bore snake again...works out pretty well

I just partly soak the cloth part in Hoppe's 9 and run it through. Greatest thing since sliced bread for lazy types like me

+100, I borrowed one from a friend, then went out and bought one that day. I soak the clothe with '9 as well.

Last edited:
I simply put some CLP on the bristles and run it through about 2-3 times. I think the Boresnake is actually better for the bore because there is less risk of damaging the crown or over-cleaning the bore.

I can't imagine going back to the old patch and rod system!

I usually just run a Hoppe-soaked patch through the barrel, then follow up with the boresnake a few times. They work great.. love mine.

I roll the opposite way. First boresnake dry then hoppes on a patch let sit then hit it with dry patches until clean then lube.

I usually just run a Hoppe-soaked patch through the barrel, then follow up with the boresnake a few times. They work great.. love mine.

I roll the opposite way. First boresnake dry then hoppes on a patch let sit then hit it with dry patches until clean then lube.

I've done it both ways and each worked fine.

They should award the Nobel prize to the inventor. It did take me a few years to realize that the caliber of the boresnake is stamped into the brass weight on the end. I have a over half a dozen of them.

You can hand wash them when they get dirty and they are no substitute for a real bronze brush to clean out the plastic wad residue in your shotgun.

Squirt M-Pro down the bore, let it sit and pull through a few times then do one more with some CLP on the brush. Love mine.

they are no substitute for a real bronze brush to clean out the plastic wad residue in your shotgun.

That residue is pretty much only on the choke tube. I have an over sized brush on a short "T" handle, I scrub out the choke tubes, then run the bore snake with some cleaner from there. Works great for me!

Only use them for quick clean, touch up or maintenance. Actual cleaning is done with one piece rods and Butch's Bore Shine (Anyone else like this stuff?)

I use a bore snake as a replacement for bore patches in the traditional bronze brush scrubbing followed by a multiple bore patch cleaning.

The bore snake cleans out the crap that was left behind from a good bronze brush scrubbing much faster than bore patches. To finish, I'll soak a couple of bore patches with oil and swab the bore as needed.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I have a bunch of bore-snakes. At least one for each caliber I shoot (a few in calibers I have several weapons in)

I will generally swab the bore with a clean patch soaked in copper solvent and let it sit for 2-5 minutes, then run a dry snake down the bore twice.

I then spray CLP into the chamber and run the snake 2-3 times down the bore to spread the CLP down the barrel.

Works very well.

Wow, I didn't know there were so many variations.

I spray Hoppes No 9 in the barrel and let it soak while I clean the other parts. Then I run the snake through at least three times. If necessary, spray again and run some more. Then I drop some oil in the barrel and run a clean patch through--or spray in CLP.

What about putting a patch over the brush part and oiling the cord and/or patch? I Google'd "how to use a bore snake" and this was one of the answers I found. I am interested in what people here think since I am not so experienced.

I have one for each caliber, rifle and pistol. I spray gun scrubber on the bit before the copper brush and the copper brush and run it through a couple of times.

Before I step on then range I use one to clean and make sure there aren't any barrel obstructions.

FoxHill

Cats in wigs and the people who take their pictures bring me a lot of happiness and make me feel not so alone in this world. - Bobcat Goldthwait

I like bore snakes too but they do not get a barrel as clean as the rod/patches technique. Try using the bore snake and then patches, you will see quite a bit more stuff come out.

Don't get me wrong though. When I am feeling lazy I use them and like them alot.

I like bore snakes too but they do not get a barrel as clean as the rod/patches technique. Try using the bore snake and then patches, you will see quite a bit more stuff come out.

Don't get me wrong though. When I am feeling lazy I use them and like them alot.

True. They are (IMHO) not a replacement for a good brush/patch/jag cleaning, but they are great nonetheless.. especially when at a shooting event.

I use both 1 piece rods with brass jags and patches as well as bore snakes. Bore snakes are great. I don't clean .22s with a rod. I only use the bore snake. They are also great for guns that you can't otherwise clean from the breach. I have them in about 8 calibers.

I think his point was that you get the least benefit by running a dry bore snake down a dry bore.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Think so? Try it the next time. I also wipe all the inner workings down with a soft dry cotton cloth and q-tips before applying any solvents. You'll probably find you will get the bulk of the black out and not have a creeping mess getting down into the recesses doing it dry first.

What do you think? Ever clean a gun?

I think his point was that you get the least benefit by running a dry bore snake down a dry bore.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Think so? Try it the next time. I also wipe all the inner workings down with a soft dry cotton cloth and q-tips before applying any solvents. You'll probably find you will get the bulk of the black out and not have a creeping mess getting down into the recesses doing it dry first.

Yeah, I've cleaned a few guns before...[rolleyes]

Jkelly's exactly right. I don't see the point of running a dry bore-snake down the barrel, then doing your entire cleaning procedure with patches is all.

To each his own. I'm not saying your way sucks, I'm saying I just don't see the point. I've always only used a boresnake on my guns and the barrel is always squeaky clean.

Back
Top Bottom