Has Anyone Used Federal Syntech 9mm Luger Ammo 150 Grain Total Synthetic Jacket Ammo?

My preferred cartridge for USPSA in 9mm (mostly I've used in p320 and s&w 929 with special moonclips from TK customs, but it did cycle my g17), and I use the 205gr .40 as well (glock 35-based). I intend to try it in my recently built 6" 9mm 1911, just haven't made it to the range at the same time as I've had 150s (if I think of it and notice anything untoward, I'll follow up with a report of how it does).

Soft shooting, the very definition of a 'push' rather than 'pop' in terms of recoil: the fact that it looks like little tiny lipsticks is something which one does, eventually, get over.

Just one thing - since the ammopocalypse (i.e. the last two years), I think quality control has gone down wrt lots of different ammo. I had some other syntech (the purple one) that I was a little suspicious of (seemed inconsistent). I don't know if those problems effect these specific lines, it's just a data point.

very soft shooting. it's basically sub sonic 150gr 9mm. It groups like shit out of my legion though, which is a pretty common complaint if you check Enos forums. there is a 115gr and 124gr options too. I now use the 12 syntech, since my Legions seem to like that weight the best.

also, bullet weight will affect point of aim point of impact. heavier bullets tend to shoot a bit higher.

Two things I wonder about Syntech. This is total low tech armchair speculation. Someone with engineering chops will most likely answer dismiss these concerns. But I do wonder.:

They say it generates 12% less friction, which is good for barrel life. Sounds great, but is anything lost with the 12% less friction? Is less stabilizing rotational force lost there? Second is that the coating doesn't appear all that evenly distributed in the few press shot bisections I've seen. And the few pics I've seen of recovered bullets, there appear to be all sorts of irregular markings on the "casing", such as burn pitting.

Federal-Syntech-Ammunition-2.jpg

Fed-3.jpg

But all of this is moot for me, as these rounds will still be far more accurate than I am on a typical day. Just something I was pondering when these first came out.

My preferred cartridge for USPSA in 9mm (mostly I've used in p320 and s&w 929 with special moonclips from TK customs, but it did cycle my g17), and I use the 205gr .40 as well (glock 35-based). I intend to try it in my recently built 6" 9mm 1911, just haven't made it to the range at the same time as I've had 150s (if I think of it and notice anything untoward, I'll follow up with a report of how it does).

Soft shooting, the very definition of a 'push' rather than 'pop' in terms of recoil: the fact that it looks like little tiny lipsticks is something which one does, eventually, get over.

Just one thing - since the ammopocalypse (i.e. the last two years), I think quality control has gone down wrt lots of different ammo. I had some other syntech (the purple one) that I was a little suspicious of (seemed inconsistent). I don't know if those problems effect these specific lines, it's just a data point.
It's funny that you say that about quality control. two weeks ago I had some American Eagle in 147 that had always worked well in all of my guns. In the last 150 rnds that I had, I had a number of issues with feeding into one of my glocks and that one has been pretty reliable with everything I've feed through it.

Shot the 147gr. One stovepipe out of a ProMag magazine — not a shock. All other issues attributable to the nut behind the sight.

Last edited:
I love the lipstick 💄 ammo. Have few thousand rounds under my belt. Probably best target, comp ammo I have shot. I should have bought more when I had a chance.
FI3Dq-AXwAE4GPQ.jpg

Yeah it’s good stuff if you don’t reload and want softer shooting ammo for competitions. My reloads use 150 gr coated bullets just like the Syntech ammo

I'd suspect the saw messed up the coating and core before I'd suspect that
the inner lead boolit was messed up like that.

The saw definitely created a burr edge on the bullet in the direction of cutting, but I'm still betting the coating isn't perfectly even given the surface imperfections seen on some press photos.

federal_syntech_ap_8.jpg

The saw definitely created a burr edge on the bullet in the direction of cutting, but I'm still betting the coating isn't perfectly even given the surface imperfections seen on some press photos.

View attachment 573861
Either they're dimples to encourage laminar flow (like on a golf ball),
or it's a photo of a gun shop counter-top sample that's been used.
rocky-horror-01.jpg

Either they're dimples to encourage laminar flow (like on a golf ball),
or it's a photo of a gun shop counter-top sample that's been used.
rocky-horror-01.jpg
From the ones I've handled, I think it's just manufacturing aberration.

I find these all over the hill behind my house. The coating isn’t perfect as you can see in this pic but at the same time it’s sealed better than fmj with a open base. BCD49D0F-8C8C-442E-9190-8AAEB035CC3E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom