Has anyone used wolf ammo in an ar15?

It should work fine, steel and gold. If it doesn't your rifle needs to be looked at. Check the gas port is correct and you're not running too heavy of a buffer.

Wolf Gold works well in my AR. I probably have 600ish rounds through it (ya ya I know I need to shoot it more lol).

Why do you ask? Ammo is ammo. It's not precision match ammo. It runs in my AR, and yeah, is maybe a little dirty.

But it's cheap, and sometimes that's what matters. Just know any money you save on ammo will be spent on Hoppe's #9.

Wolf doesn't cycle any of my ARs. Brown Bear is flawless and similarly priced. I'd recommend that for cheap Russian ammo.

I run it in my Stag AR. Occasionally I get a failure to fire, but I have the light JP spring kit in mine, and it's only 1 in every 200 or so rounds that does it. With a standard trigger spring or any aftermarket trigger, I would expect it to go bang every time.

Accuracy is adequate for me, since I'm only about a 2-3MOA shooter anyway. The Soft Point makes water bottles explode nicely.

I put over 3k rounds of wolf through my stag arms H2 before I even cleaned it. Other than a exterior wipe i did not clean that gun until 3500 rounds..only reason i cleaned it is was getting filthy on the out side and getting everything else dirty.
I put almost exclusive diet of steel cased ammo through my RRA A2 only time i run brass is when I shoot a match and thats because I reload for it.

we have 2 ret USMC armorers at our club abd both say if your AR doesnt run on wolf ammo there is something wrong with your rilfe ? they both shoot wolf and one has what seems to be a unlimitted suppy of yellow box 223 norinco and its the smokiest smelliest stuff i have ever seen. He runs it through his ARs and his his full auto M16???

Wolf Military Classic produces surprisingly excellent groups in my AR. I've never had a hiccup with it. Wolf Gold is great.

If you don't reload and your rifle likes it, there's no reason not to buy decent steel cased ammo.

Have run thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf Gold through 5 different AR's with no problems whatsoever. In fact, I find it to be slightly more accurate than most XM193. And if you search around you can find it for about .31-.33 per round.

I just dont see the value of steel cased ammo..unless your intent is to leave a mess when you done shooting.
Buy brass, shoot it, pickup your brass, sell your brass. And youll break even or save .02.

As far as the brass wolf, no complaints.

Have run thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf Gold through 5 different AR's with no problems whatsoever. In fact, I find it to be slightly more accurate than most XM193. And if you search around you can find it for about .31-.33 per round.

When I first bought my chronograph I ran just about every ammo type I had over it.
All the federal and AR XM193 and 855 was very inconsistent. Extreme spreads.
Talking 100fps ....
Wolf mil classic/ WPA 55gn was ok with slightly better consistent FPS but always a little low high 2800s
Wolf gold actually ran really good the 55gn stuff was always right up at the 3200fps Mark.
I ran the Wolf gold 75 grain match also and that was darn good for the price back then.

The absolute best M193 I have used is PPU.

I just dont see the value of steel cased ammo..unless your intent is to leave a mess when you done shooting.
Buy brass, shoot it, pickup your brass, sell your brass. And youll break even or save .02.

As far as the brass wolf, no complaints.

Really depends on what your doing, how much you shoot and how much time you want to put into selling your brass.
A quick look wolf steel through my usual vender is 24c per round shipped/1000 round case. Federal and XM193 is .43c each shipped per 1000 rounds.

I can get cleaned sorted 1 fired 223 for 7 cents each shipped when vendor has it in stock...9 cents for same head stamps.

So yes you can make a few bucks back on your brass...
If you want to add sorting and cleaning. If your getting more for your brass God bless..
So with out shopping around for deals and you want cheap ammo for blasting
Cheap steel is a opption ....if your worried about barrel damage....please.
Your 1k into ammo at 5k rounds just buy another barrel for 150$?

I posted a few of my ammo tests here.
FWIW..
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-A-quick-comparison-of-different-bullets-ammo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom