Has anyone used wolf ammo in an ar15?

I must be the only one....
I have a Windham Bushmaster since new. It replaced a Mini 14 which had at least 8k wolf steel through it without even 1 hiccup (just stay at least 30' away from the ejection side!). I have had 3 cases "glue" themselves to the chamber. At first it was the older lacquer coated cases. Then it happened with a polyformance case. It put an end to the range trip every time and also resulted in smacking a steel dowel with a hammer to remove the stuck case. I wasn't very excited to do this to a nice (to me) gun. A qtip with acetone would remove the gummy buildup after I removed the stuck case. AND Ive been told that it couldnt possibly be the coating on the case by others and that it was actually gasses seeping by the steel case, since it didn't conform to the chamber as well, fouling the chamber excessively. Or, even better, my gun is a POS and should be checked. Well, all I have to say to that is B.S.
In addition to that, I discovered a round that was like 1/8" (didn't mic it) longer than a standard 5.56 case and got wedged in the chamber again (number 4 I guess). No more wolf steel for me. It used to be way cheaper anyway. Saving 20 or 30$ per 1000 doesnt make sense to me

I must be the only one....
I have a Windham Bushmaster since new. It replaced a Mini 14 which had at least 8k wolf steel through it without even 1 hiccup (just stay at least 30' away from the ejection side!). I have had 3 cases "glue" themselves to the chamber. At first it was the older lacquer coated cases. Then it happened with a polyformance case. It put an end to the range trip every time and also resulted in smacking a steel dowel with a hammer to remove the stuck case. I wasn't very excited to do this to a nice (to me) gun. A qtip with acetone would remove the gummy buildup after I removed the stuck case. AND Ive been told that it couldnt possibly be the coating on the case by others and that it was actually gasses seeping by the steel case, since it didn't conform to the chamber as well, fouling the chamber excessively. Or, even better, my gun is a POS and should be checked. Well, all I have to say to that is B.S.
In addition to that, I discovered a round that was like 1/8" (didn't mic it) longer than a standard 5.56 case and got wedged in the chamber again (number 4 I guess). No more wolf steel for me. It used to be way cheaper anyway. Saving 20 or 30$ per 1000 doesnt make sense to me

When was it more of a savings.? I have only been shooting 223 since 2006 and the steel case was always about 1/2 the price.
I think now you can find brass cased not much more...I was just poking around on my favorite vendor checking prices for a previous post and now I get a email from another vendor PMC brass 55gnome fmj .29 cents shipped for 1000 rounds. Limit 1 case.

Actually, you should be a bit more specific in your question.

When people ask about "Wolf," they usually mean the steel cased, berdan-primed ammo with a bimetal bullet, manufactured at the Tula Cartridge Plant in Tula, Russia.

That ammo is very different than "Wolf Gold," which is brass cased, boxer-primed ammo with a 55gr lead-core bullet, manufactured in Taiwan.

So, which "Wolf" did you have in mind?

Last edited:
Actually, you should be a bit more specific in your question.

When people ask about "Wolf," they usually mean the steel cased, berdan-primed ammo with a bimetal bullet, manufactured at the Tula Cartridge Plant in Tula, Russia.

That ammo is very different than "Wolf Gold," which is brass cased, boxer-primed ammo with a 55gr lead-core bullet, manufactured in Taiwan.

So, which "Wolf" did you have in mind?

This

When was it more of a savings.? I have only been shooting 223 since 2006 and the steel case was always about 1/2 the price.
I think now you can find brass cased not much more...I was just poking around on my favorite vendor checking prices for a previous post and now I get a email from another vendor PMC brass 55gnome fmj .29 cents shipped for 1000 rounds. Limit 1 case.

yep, used to be half price. Now its 25c/rd vs 31c or like your deal, 29c. Its brass for me since my gun gets glued up

yep, used to be half price. Now its 25c/rd vs 31c or like your deal, 29c. Its brass for me since my gun gets glued up

Yeah some deals do come through here and there. But it looks like the norm is still closer to 1/2 +/- 4-6 cents.

I,will note that even though I shot a lot of wolf and other steel cased ammo out of my ARs it was for plinking and big steel plate shooting only. Trying to get steel cased ammo and your common M193/855 to shoot nice groups is a waste of time and ammo.
I did all I could do to shoot a 474/500 with a regular A2 1/9 twist inside of 5 moa with PPU M193(actually the best m193 I have ever shot) at a cmp modern military match. If I used my normal reload for this I think I would have a easy 20 points on that score!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the in put here.
My question was really about the "standard " not the gold. I know the gold is brass and higher quality.

Its been a few years since I got to do much shooting at all. Divorce will do that. It's final now and sometimes money is tight. I'm weighing my ammo options.

You guys that talk about shipped ammo are killing me!
I know the information is more classified than launch codes. But if anyone wants to share, just pm me.
Check my profile I'm not a friend of the ag.
Ive been around awhile

Thanks for all the in put here.
My question was really about the "standard " not the gold. I know the gold is brass and higher quality.

Its been a few years since I got to do much shooting at all. Divorce will do that. It's final now and sometimes money is tight. I'm weighing my ammo options.

You guys that talk about shipped ammo are killing me!
I know the information is more classified than launch codes. But if anyone wants to share, just pm me.
Check my profile I'm not a friend of the ag.
Ive been around awhile

FWIW, here's an excellent 10K round brass vs steel-cased ammo torture test. They worked hard to control the test, and the results are pretty interesting.

Epic Brass vs Steel Torture Test

I've had decent luck with the steel cased (Russian) stuff.

IIRC, the Wolf Gold (brass cases) is from Bosnia, probably PPU anyways. I haven't used this, but I have used Yugoslav brass cased 7.62x39 with good results in an AK (WASR) and SKS.
Are you talking .223? The last I knew it was made in Taiwan and PPU was made in Serbia.
It was formally made by Priv Partizan though

Last edited:
So if you shoot steel after 10,000 rounds your gun is junk. But you saved so much money you buy a brand new gun on the 10,000th round. MMMMMMMMM...tough choice.

So if you shoot steel after 10,000 rounds your gun is junk. But you saved so much money you buy a brand new gun on the 10,000th round. MMMMMMMMM...tough choice.

Guns not junk. Needs a new barrel and should be good again. And this is with almost no cleanings. Who seriously shoots that much that fast and doesn't clean their rifle. but after 10,000 .24 vs .31 that .07 equals $700 saved.

Guns not junk. Needs a new barrel and should be good again. And this is with almost no cleanings. Who seriously shoots that much that fast and doesn't clean their rifle. but after 10,000 .24 vs .31 that .07 equals $700 saved.

After 10k rounds even of the cheapest shut you can muster you have spent 2500$ .... our you really worried about your barrel by then.

Come on guys don't be silly... if you want to shoot and steel is all you can afford go for it..

The issue with the steel cased ammo and barrel wear is more likely the powder choice and extreme temps.

Also the luckygunner test used a throat gage on muzzle.

After 6k rounds you should treat your rifle to some new parts anyway just for preventive measures.

Only rifle i have with 5k plus on finally gave way to hard use.
Extractor lost its edge and the cheap POS bolt started shredding chrome pieces and the gas rings finally went. I should have taken pictures.

I've have owned about 8 AR-15s and wolf has never ran reliably in any of them. From my Colt LE6920 to my BCM build and everything in between.

I just dont see the value of steel cased ammo..unless your intent is to leave a mess when you done shooting.
Buy brass, shoot it, pickup your brass, sell your brass. And youll break even or save .02.

As far as the brass wolf, no complaints.

I run over the steel with a 6 ft wide by 4inch magnet screwed into a 2x4 and attached to my tractor. Backyard/frontyard shooting is fun!!!

Are you talking .223? The last I knew it was made in Taiwan and PPU was made in Serbia.
It was formally made by Priv Partizan though

Yup, I just didn't know they had changed it. I did know it wasn't made in Russian, and at least the steel stuff was. It could have been Serbia, either way, it was in FRY, Former Republic of Yugoslavia.

These days, I usually load my own, or use Lake City or Winchester.

I haven't used the steel in over 10 years now.

Really depends on what your doing, how much you shoot and how much time you want to put into selling your brass.
A quick look wolf steel through my usual vender is 24c per round shipped/1000 round case. Federal and XM193 is .43c each shipped per 1000 rounds.

I can get cleaned sorted 1 fired 223 for 7 cents each shipped when vendor has it in stock...9 cents for same head stamps.

So yes you can make a few bucks back on your brass...
If you want to add sorting and cleaning. If your getting more for your brass God bless..
So with out shopping around for deals and you want cheap ammo for blasting
Cheap steel is a opption ....if your worried about barrel damage....please.
Your 1k into ammo at 5k rounds just buy another barrel for 150$?

I posted a few of my ammo tests here.
FWIW..
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-A-quick-comparison-of-different-bullets-ammo

Well shit, at .24 ppr i guess that is a deal...

Most of my barrels at 700-$1000 each, but i dont care about barrel life

Last edited:
I run over the steel with a 6 ft wide by 4inch magnet screwed into a 2x4 and attached to my tractor. Backyard/frontyard shooting is fun!!!

It is a good point that steel is easier to pick up than brass

After 10k rounds even of the cheapest shut you can muster you have spent 2500$ .... our you really worried about your barrel by then.

Come on guys don't be silly... if you want to shoot and steel is all you can afford go for it..

The issue with the steel cased ammo and barrel wear is more likely the powder choice and extreme temps.

Also the luckygunner test used a throat gage on muzzle.

After 6k rounds you should treat your rifle to some new parts anyway just for preventive measures.

Only rifle i have with 5k plus on finally gave way to hard use.
Extractor lost its edge and the cheap POS bolt started shredding chrome pieces and the gas rings finally went. I should have taken pictures.

Its the bi metal jacket that causes barrel wear, isnt it?
Barrel wear isnt that much of an issue for non percision shooting...

Back
Top Bottom