Has anyone used wolf ammo in an ar15?

Some AR's eat it up, others don't. If it runs in your gun by all means run it. Barrels and extractors aren't expensive and are easily replaced on an AR. The lego like nature of the platform is probably it's best feature- the accelerated wear you'll get with steel isn't a major consideration unless it's something fancy.

Yes it sure does and I wish I had a digital camera when I had my first AR and put 3500 rounds of any steel cased stuff I could find before a cleaning.
STAG H2 bought in Oct 2008 and grabbed 5k rounds of assorted steel case ammo just before Obama sale 1.
It's all fun if it works run it. If you like it run it.

I use Russian steel, us steel and brass in all my ARs and never have issues with any of them. If you are one of those that worry so much about steel case and stoppages, then use steel case after running whatever amount of brass u want.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

great practice ammo.

If your AR doesn't run it your AR is no good.

Not so much no good but might look into why...
The biggest problem I think is it can be under powered.
I have had some tula that was just making 2800fps from my 20" rifle. That's a tad shy of the 3000fps+ NATO calls for.
Although I have been running some test cast loads and I'm running lower FPS and still getting it to cycle. Heck I might pull some steel cased stuff I have and load some cast loads in the primed cased just to see how it goes.

It's usually not a thing to worry BUT wolf website has been down for a while now.

Good thing about wolf is they do have a performance guarantee... don't like it get a refund...

The Swami 87 asked me if I could test some Wolf Gold .223 Rem for him. So I thought this would be the perfect job for the Stag Arms Model 6 Super Varminter. Unfortunately Monday morning was the day I decided to test it out and it was cold really cold. The rifle was benchrested on a Harris bipod and the targets were placed at 100 yards. The first target is 10 rounds and the second two are 5 rounds each. I'm embarrassed with the third target. I would hope I could do better in warmer weather.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
All 20 rounds functioned perfectly and there were no failures. On examination the ejected brass cases were in perfect condition for reloading.
In my opinion it's outstanding ammo.

Last edited:
The Swami 87 asked me if I could test some Wolf Gold .223 Rem for him. So I thought this would be the perfect job for the Stag Arms Model 6 Super Varminter. Unfortunately Monday morning was the day I decided to test it out and it was cold really cold. The rifle was benchrested on a Harris bipod and the targets were placed at 100 yards. The first target is 10 rounds and the second two are 5 rounds each. I'm embarrassed with the third target. I would hope I could do better in warmer weather.
View attachment 184001View attachment 184002View attachment 184003
All 20 rounds functioned perfectly and there were no failures. On examination the ejected brass cases were in perfect condition for reloading.
In my opinion it's outstanding . Wolf gold is a great choice and almost always sells cheaper than any m193/855 stuff and is IMHO always better. When the 75 grain match wolf puts out I will buy it. I have not seen it in a long time. It was the same price as their 55 grain stuff..,both are good.
Shooting supported with a scope I have shot just shy of 1.25moa with the 55s and when I'm shooting well get sub moa with the 75s.

My only advice with the steel cased stuff is don't run your AR "wet" it gets "dirtier" faster.
Enough oil to protect against rust. A few drops of oil in the holes on the bolt. I like to put just a touch of grease on the bearing surfaces of the lugs.

Barrels and extractors aren't expensive and are easily replaced on an AR.

Depends. I mean barrels run anywhere from $80 to $800. I have a couple with hundred dollar barrels, and a few with $300-400 barrels. So far I have not had a problem buying cases of Federal for most of my shooting and Black Hills when I want something heavier.

Depends. I mean barrels run anywhere from $80 to $800. I have a couple with hundred dollar barrels, and a few with $300-400 barrels. So far I have not had a problem buying cases of Federal for most of my shooting and Black Hills when I want something heavier.

I think the trade off between a inexpensive mill spec barrel and a premium match barrel can be debated.
There is zero need for a high end match barrel if you plan on dumping the cheapest shit ammo you can find through it. Also a expensive match barrel will not last any longer. Many AR match shooters run some pretty hot loads wearing out the lead/throat in as little as 3000 rounds and accuracy starts to drop.

for your average 1000$ ar any ammo is good if it functions.... and if you save 15 cents per round and shoot 5k plus rounds you saved enough to replace the barrel and extractor.

Back
Top Bottom