• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hatfield Man Threatens Police with Gun

I like the way the ever impartial Boston Globe reported the story:

A Hatfield man with an arsenal of weapons was arrested after he allegedly aimed a rifle at a police officer who had responded to reports of gunfire at his home, officials said. Gunshots were reported at about 5:20 p.m. Sunday in the home of Todd Dostal, 31, on Circle Drive, State Police said. When officers arrived, Dostal, who was intoxicated, exited his home, pointed a rifle at an officer, and told the officer to leave the property, State Police said. Dostal eventually exited his home, unarmed, and was taken into custody. Police said they recovered two pistols and three rifles. Charges against Dostal include assault with a dangerous weapon and resisting arrest, State Police said.

I guess it all depends on the definition of arsenal. Most dictionaries classify it as a large collection of weapons. It would seem the Globe's definition of large is five. Of course, the Globe had no problems deciphering what the definition of is is.

Last edited:
My co-worker tells me the cops were called twice by the neighbor. First cop came down after neighbor called in gunshots. Checked this guy all out, he was within all laws, permitted, and shooting safely into the woods.

An hour or so later, new cop on duty, neighbor called again on him, that's when it all went down at this guys house.

I like the way the ever impartial Boston Globe reported the story:

I guess it all depends on the definition of arsenal. Most dictionaries classify it as a large collection of weapons. It would seem the Globe's definition of large is five. Of course, the Globe had no problems deciphering what the definition of is is.

going by boston globe standards they screwed up--didn't mention "assault rifle"

more than likely he was just carrying his rifle in one hand, never muzzle swept the officer
but it doesn't matter at this point. good legal representation might get him off without prison time, but he'll be a prohib. person forever

Last edited:
Like I say my co-worker will get me all the juicy an accurate details. I'll post up in 9 months if/when this ever goes to trial.

to add: He was back home that night/next day so the it could not have been that serious.

going by boston globe standards they screwed up--didn't mention "assault rifle"

more than likely he was just carrying his rifle in one hand, never muzzle swept the officer
but it doesn't matter at this point. good legal representation might get him off without prison time, but he'll be a prohib. person forever

No way. If he has no prior arrests, etc. he'll get a continued without a finding for a year or two at the most. Actual assaults on cops, if it's a first offense get that in this state. He won't be prohibited but he might have an issue with the local po po allowing him to exercise his rights.

Like I say my co-worker will get me all the juicy an accurate details. I'll post up in 9 months if/when this ever goes to trial.

to add: He was back home that night/next day so the it could not have been that serious.

He can call the first cop who responded as a witness to no crime being committed and his demeanor, etc. The little ADA won't care about this but will want to get some money out of him for court costs or probation, etc. The local courts are a money making scheme just like speeding tickets.

this will make for good neighbors

Calling the cops on your neighbors usually breeds more hostility.

FENCES are where it's at.

Robert Frost said:
"Mending Wall"

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbour know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, "Good fences make good neighbours."
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
"Why do they make good neighbours? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I’d ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
"That wants it down." I could say "Elves" to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbours."

Back
Top Bottom