• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have fun at the Flea Market....because...

Hi Bob! Congrats on your son making General.... Sorry to hear about your adventure with the Yaesu.....

Well, I thought I got a good deal on a Yaesu FT-2600M at the Marlborough flea. I wasted several hours trying to figure out how to run the thing. Nothing seemed to behave consistently. I finally figured out that those rubber front panel buttons are shot. One was even repaired (poorly) with aluminum foil.

Anyone know where I might find a parts-radio to scavange a front panel from? (didn't think so)

Oh well, I got into ham partly for my 2 boys' education. They're going to help me fabricate a bracket to hold 4 push-buttons. It will ugly-up the radio, but they'll learn soldering and that fixing stuff can be good.

That sucks. The guy who sold it to you had to know that... If you know his call, I'd ding him on the "ham to ham references" on qrz.com.

But nice that you are making lemonade out of it.

Good advice. I'm such a total noob that getting his call never occured to me.

For better or worse, I inherited a trait form my Dad. He grew up on a farm during the great depression. His mom used to say that he would rather get something old and broken that he can fix than get something brand new. I see it as a project where I can make something better, and teach my boys to solder.

Hi Bob. My boy tells me you passed the Extra exam. Great job....but now what are you going to do? There's no more tests to work towards[smile][wink]

Thanks! Now my challenge is to find gear for a reasonable price and get on the air.... I think the test may have been the easy part....[smile]

Thanks! Now my challenge is to find gear for a reasonable price and get on the air.... I think the test may have been the easy part....[smile]

I feel the same way. We still haven't been on the air yet, and now I need to fix (then figure out) this 2M rig I bought. At least we listened to the CAARA weekly net last night.

I feel the same way. We still haven't been on the air yet, and now I need to fix (then figure out) this 2M rig I bought. At least we listened to the CAARA weekly net last night.

Good luck with your rig.... Am closely following the discussion on the other thread so (hopefully) I can make a good choice for gear purchases....

BTW, don't know if you know but you are a legend.... VE's at my exam we talking about this guy at the Cape Ann exam that went all the way from tech to extra in one sitting....[smile]

Good luck with your rig.... Am closely following the discussion on the other thread so (hopefully) I can make a good choice for gear purchases....

BTW, don't know if you know but you are a legend.... VE's at my exam we talking about this guy at the Cape Ann exam that went all the way from tech to extra in one sitting....[smile]

Yes. I heard some of those comments.
I think they dubbed him 'The Great One'. Rumor has it he can work stations aroiund the globe with only a coat hanger for an antenna!!

Definitely the guy to have on your team for Field day! [smile]

Yes. I heard some of those comments.
I think they dubbed him 'The Great One'. Rumor has it he can work stations aroiund the globe with only a coat hanger for an antenna!!

[laugh2][rofl][rofl][rofl2][rofl2] Oh man, do I have you guys fooled! I'm the total noob. I haven't been on the air yet. I bet that 7 year old girl that passed her Tech the week befor we all took that class knows more about on-air protocal than I do!
I think I'll
HideUnderChair.gif
at least until I fix my radio figure out how to talk on a repeater [rolleyes]

(ETA: this goes to show that 25+ years in electronics doesn't make you a ham. But it makes the exams a lot easier!)

Last edited:
[laugh2][rofl][rofl][rofl2][rofl2] Oh man, do I have you guys fooled! I'm the total noob. I haven't been on the air yet. I bet that 7 year old girl that passed her Tech the week befor we all took that class knows more about on-air protocal than I do!
I think I'll
HideUnderChair.gif
at least until I fix my radio figure out how to talk on a repeater [rolleyes]

(ETA: this goes to show that 25+ years in electronics doesn't make you a ham. But it makes the exams a lot easier!)

There is an old chinese proverb....

"Man with credentials and no experience make good radio operator. Or perhaps a US President"

Back
Top Bottom